• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Master serie cutter issue......... GRRR

cutkiller

Ok guys, since i got my master xy-300, i only used it for small decals (6"x6"). But now im trying to make a windshield banner for a costumer, which is 27" long x 6-7" height. It seems that it is IMPOSSIBLE to cut large decals with this piece of sh!t. The graphic load entierly, but it always cut only half of it (or some random part of it), then it STOP in the middle of the process. Impossible to cut the whole graphic at all. Any one has encounter this problem before? Please post some solutions here. Please please.. im tiered of this sh!t.

cheer!

brushwork

I have the same cutter and I have never had that problem, sounds like a program problem though. What program are you using to cut the graphics? I have cut long graphics in excess of 16 feet with my cutter with only minor tracking problems. I find anything over 10 feet it starts to wander. I use flexi and a couple times I did have the file stop cutting randomly in the middle and the program showed it still transfering to the cutter, I hit the send button again and it started where it left off and the graphic came out perfect. Hope this helps.

AKWD

With the Master, I've found if you 'help' it with the feeding (A little slack and such) and use a shorter max distance setting, that it minimizes the wandering issue altogether.

It seems from my reading that people's problems usually vary in severity; Everyone has quirks to work with. However, some seem like they are more mischievious than others.

I had a great suggestion from someone and I have seriously thought of it; A --GOOD-- power conditioner. This is different than a surge suppresser; SOME battery backups do have limited power conditioning functionality, but a good solo power conditioner. I know Monster does make some really good ones with some nice Caps in them, but I've seen many others as well which supposedly do even better. The key note with all of these is that your ground plug you plug the cutter into IS properly grounded out.

The logic here seems to be that although the company says its a 'static' issue, that in reality that the logic board isn't built with EFI or power line noise in mind, and that any natural noise on the line could cause issues. The noisier your powerline, the worse it could be. That could explain why some people have less problems with the Master than others; Less 'dirty' power supply.

I have worked for a few businesses where power cleanliness is key; If you think thzt your home/business power is clean, you're in for a BIG shock; It is so noisy that I'm surprised that most electronics do work. I used to have a really cool gadget that would 'audioize' the line noise; If the line was clean, it was a very hard to hear hum. Anything else would come through frighteningly noisy and loud. MANY times I'd pick up radio stations (Especially in one area), cordless phone conversations, harsh black noise, or many, MANY other sounds (Including pulsating/thumping/etc as other items even blocks away were power cycling).

I think that anyone with a Master who is having problems, should pick up a GOOD power conditioner and tell us if that at least helps the situation.

As for me; Ever since I did a bunch of steps (Bought a VERY thick data cable; made sure I ran the cable away from any electrical sources; ran the unit on its own circuit; keeping the board clean and dust-free and keeping it cool with a fan circulating air), I have managed to get it to run almost dead-on. What I do get is only on longer runs now, every 10 to 20 feet (or longer), it will make one cut slightly longer than it's supposed to, but quickly corrects itself; And unless I'm watching for it, I can never find it in the final product.

Hope this helps :)

Techman

With the Master, I've found if you 'help' it with the feeding (
I think that anyone with a Master who is having problems, should pick up a GOOD power conditioner and tell us if that at least helps the situation.

Help it with feeding it to the nearest dumpster..
And power condition it with the good old hydraulic compactor...

This is the 21st century. We left problems with electronics and power supplies behind over 30 years ago..

OldPaint

costumer????????? now iam not usually one to pick on people who dont spell so good, but you DOUBLE BAD, YOU GOT A MASTER VINYL CUTTER)))))))and COSTUMER is really a funny)))))

Bigdawg

Just Me
Slamming someone because they have a master's cutter doesn't help. They have what they have.

cutkiller - you shouldn't have any problem cutting a decal that size with your masters. What program are you cutting out of?

signmeup

Words of wisdom from Bigdawg. Tecman seems to keep an eye out for any posts about these cutters so he can offer up his standard responce. I can't imagine why. He's always very helpful on any other kind of post, especially anything computer related.

Are you sure it's not just waiting for the information to pass from the computer to the cutter's buffer? Mine has to pause while it loads more information on larger jobs. You could also have software on your computer that doesn't like the software you're cutting from.
You could also talk to customer service at Desay. They should have heard of just about every imaginable problem by now.

Techman

I can't imagine why.

Sorry, but the answer will remain the same..
Our brothers and sisters bought these machines looking for a way to cut vinyl. But these machines are not worthy of any life. They cause too much pain. Too many are led down the road with the hope and prayer that everything else is the problem. These good people spend hours and spend extra money trying to fix something that cannot be fixed.
They spend hours and too much money on wasted vinyl until they develop an mental list of work around fixes to all the quirks.

Maybe its the cable. Ok. Se he gets another $20 cable and the time wasted going to get one. Nope. Next he spends money and hours looking for a software package.. Nope still cuts bad.. Ok.. now get a $150.00 power conditioner.. Nope still makes a mess. How about taping some washers on one corner of the vinyl to get it to track right. Ya, thats the ticket.

We hear every excuse possible blaming software, cables, power supplies and the ethereal vapors. That is,,, every thing but the truth. The truth is the sooner they unload these things the sooner they will get some pleasure out of cutting vinyl. Telling them anything else is putting salve on gangrene.

signmeup

Tecman,

I still don't see why you feel the need to post on every single question about these plotters but never offer any thing usefull. Did a Master plotter bite you when you were a kid or steal your best girl? What do you get out of being so negative?

These are entry level plotters that may have been bought by someone who would find it a challenge to install a toaster. Let's blame the machine. I'm willing to bet you've never even owned one. Makes me wonder how you know so much about them. Now maybe I'm the luckest guy ever but mine works fine.

I think you should get a new hobby.

Rodi

I totally understand what Techman is saying. If you want reliability, get a proven machine. These machines appear to use old tech and are built shoddily, but have good looking specs. I had to go inexpensive route and bought an older Lynx, there are enough people who said good stuff about them, compared to buying a Master, where few have had anything positive to say about them.When everyone has a negative opinion, how good is that cheap thing?

signmeup

I totally understand what Techman is saying. If you want reliability, get a proven machine. These machines appear to use old tech and are built shoddily, but have good looking specs. I had to go inexpensive route and bought an older Lynx, there are enough people who said good stuff about them, compared to buying a Master, where few have had anything positive to say about them.When everyone has a negative opinion, how good is that cheap thing?

Well not "everyone" has a negative opinion. Again, I have to ask, how do you know how they are built? Mine is solid after 3 years of faithful service. It doesn't rattle or squeek. Nothing has fallen off it and the paint still looks fine. It cuts what I want it to just fine too. I even use it to cut sandblast mask. Have you ever owned a Master cutter? I'll bet you've never even seen one. It just irks me when people condem things they have only heard about from others who probably never owned one either.

I have no idea of the numbers but think about this: if Graphtec sells 500 cutters to professional users and Master sells 5000 cutters to amateurs....who do you think will have the most negative comments?

I used to get comments like this from a person about my Arabian horse all the time. Then I finally got tired of it and asked them,"Of all the Arabians you have owned, which one was the worst?" You guessed it....they had never even ridden one, let alone owned one....just parroting what they had heard others say.

Anyway....If someone asks for help, I think it's better to offer help if you can and keep quiet if you have nothing useful to say.

Techman

Have you ever owned a Master cutter?

We don't have to own a chicken to know a good egg.
Don't have to be a chicken to know a good omelet.

Its a fact. Even a frog loves his pond even though it may be just a bird bath.

cutkiller

Slamming someone because they have a master's cutter doesn't help. They have what they have.

cutkiller - you shouldn't have any problem cutting a decal that size with your masters. What program are you cutting out of?

I use flexi 7.5, that came with the cutter.

cutkiller

Are you sure it's not just waiting for the information to pass from the computer to the cutter's buffer? Mine has to pause while it loads more information on larger jobs. You could also have software on your computer that doesn't like the software you're cutting from.
You could also talk to customer service at Desay. They should have heard of just about every imaginable problem by now.

No, Actually i have to do a little trick to avoid some bogs.. Before sending my jobs, i have to highlight "current" and then send the jobs. When the jobs are 100% sent, i then press enter (on my plotter) to confirm the current location, and then the jobs begin. I think the problem with this cutter is that it cut faster than it loads... so thats why i have to do this.. Otherwise, my plotter do some random cut everywhere.. So, the large graphic was 100$ sent then i tried to cut it...

cutkiller

We hear every excuse possible blaming software, cables, power supplies and the ethereal vapors. That is,,, every thing but the truth. The truth is the sooner they unload these things the sooner they will get some pleasure out of cutting vinyl. Telling them anything else is putting salve on gangrene.

you forgot the static issue.. that is the worse excuse.. so ridiculous.. mine isn't grounded and i've never had problem (aside for longer jobs). But works great on small jobs....... but it still a piece of sh!t, i agree. Next step, buying a graphtec or a roland. Case closed.

cutkiller

With the Master, I've found if you 'help' it with the feeding (A little slack and such) and use a shorter max distance setting, that it minimizes the wandering issue altogether.

I have the same cutter and I have never had that problem, sounds like a program problem though.

Alright, what i'm gonna do is taking screenshots of my cutting software preferences (flexi 7.5) and post them here... im sure it is the problem.. If you guys could do the same, it would be appreciated. And sorry for my english btw!!

signmeup

No, Actually i have to do a little trick to avoid some bogs.. Before sending my jobs, i have to highlight "current" and then send the jobs. When the jobs are 100% sent, i then press enter (on my plotter) to confirm the current location, and then the jobs begin. I think the problem with this cutter is that it cut faster than it loads... so thats why i have to do this.. Otherwise, my plotter do some random cut everywhere.. So, the large graphic was 100$ sent then i tried to cut it...
I don't see how you could 100% load a file that was larger than the buffer. I set the start point ("currrent" position) then click send from Flexi.

If it cuts small jobs fine it should cut large jobs fine. How may "k" are these jobs? How may "k" will it cut before you have a problem?

Just for fun try sending a "small" file that you know you can cut successfully then make the same graphic "large" and send it again. (The size of the file should remain the same...it's a vector file)

cutkiller

I don't see how you could 100% load a file that was larger than the buffer. I set the start point ("currrent" position) then click send from Flexi.

If it cuts small jobs fine it should cut large jobs fine. How may "k" are these jobs? How may "k" will it cut before you have a problem?

Just for fun try sending a "small" file that you know you can cut successfully then make the same graphic "large" and send it again. (The size of the file should remain the same...it's a vector file)

first thing first, that does mean "k"? I have no problem cutting a "small" version of the graphic.. let say 6" x 1-2". but it won't cut it 27" x 6".

signmeup

k is short for kilobyte...the file size. I'm trying to find out if your cutter will cut a large file or a large area. The same size file can be either large or small in area.
It sounds to me like you have a setting like "easy weed" checked or the buffer is too small or something of that nature. It's hard to believe the cutter is bad because it can cut a small graphic.