• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone else disturbed..

Johnny Best

Yep, she is in trouble!
sewer.jpg

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Good riddance! The guy was a terrorist. He was as much of a terror to Iranian people as he was to western countries and, more importantly, middle eastern countries.

Most Iranians (at least the ones that I know - and they insist on this) are sick and tired of the religeous zealots who have taken over their country. They would love nothing more than to have religious freedom and tolerance, and enter the world community as contributors to world peace and be fair trading partners. They want peace and security for themselves, their families, their communities, and their country. They recognize they are being manipulated by Russia (and China) to fight their proxy wars in order for those countries to protect the wealth of their elites.

The United States needs to let Iranians know that we are on their side, and that we have their back in their fight against tyranny in their own country.

The Trump administration carried this out poorly. Not only should we have eliminated this guy years ago, but the action should of had congressional approval along with consent from our allies. The argument that we suddenly had Soleimani in our "sights" is not credible - our intelligence knew where he was all the time and we could have taken him out whenever we wanted.

WildWestDesigns

Not only should we have eliminated this guy years ago, but the action should of had congressional approval along with consent from our allies.

While I am typically a huge "checks and balances" type of person, I have to wonder if the above falls under the auspice of 'easier said then done', particularly in this political climate. Or at least the perception of today's political climate.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if things were agreed to behind closed doors, but those same people denounce things in public. Not saying that's the case here, just wouldn't be surprised if that hasn't happened a time or two (or more). I doubt we ever get the full story.

As to this:

The argument that we suddenly had Soleimani in our "sights" is not credible - our intelligence knew where he was all the time and we could have taken him out whenever we wanted.

"..in our sights" doesn't necessarily have to mean that we didn't know where the target is/was, but if this was the best shot with minimal fallout (fallout could mean collateral damage or other types of fallout, not necessarily political fallout, but it could mean how bad collectively the fallout is).

Hindsight is always going to be 20/20. Decisions are much easier to pick apart from the safety of an armchair versus real time as they are happening. Just the way that it is and will always be.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
See what happens to you when you're a bully ?? I guess no one uttered a happy and prosperous new year to that sap, so he's history. Funny thing is, he's already been replaced, sooo..... is there hope on the horizon or just more some ol, same ol ??

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Fred Weiss said:
Reap what you sow, as in harvest what you plant not what you knit.

Sow vs sew is a new one to add to the list of words butchered in print and online. It drives me nuts how so many people do not know how to use the words there vs their vs they're. The bare bear had no hair there.

kcollinsdesign said:
Most Iranians (at least the ones that I know - and they insist on this) are sick and tired of the religeous zealots who have taken over their country. They would love nothing more than to have religious freedom and tolerance, and enter the world community as contributors to world peace and be fair trading partners.

One of my local friends' family fled Iran in the late 1970's when the Mullahs took over the nation. The American hostage crisis that went on 444 days at the US Embassy in Tehran probably did more damage to Jimmy Carter's Presidency than the bad economy. The hostages were released the same day Ronald Reagan was inaugurated to his first term as President.

Anyway, a lot of Americans of Iranian heritage and others living outside of Iran see the situation from a different perspective than those living inside Iran. The "reality" Iranian citizens see is through a prism highly distorted by government propaganda. Still, the word does spread of the brutality Iran's government is inflicting on its own people. I was particularly disgusted by the leaked images of the Iranian government executing people they suspected of being gay. They hanged these people using crane trucks similar to what we use in our work. They tied nooses around their necks then lifted them up in the air to let them strangle while dangling from the crane booms. Freaking evil.

kcollinsdesign said:
The Trump administration carried this out poorly. Not only should we have eliminated this guy years ago, but the action should of had congressional approval along with consent from our allies.

These kinds of operations are time sensitive. There's no time to phone up a committee to get everyone to approve it before a Reaper pilot pulls the trigger. Now, I'm pretty sure Qassem Soleimani was already on a kill list of sorts. There are dozens of enemy military officers and terrorist leaders who through their actions turned themselves into targets of opportunity. We've hit a lot of other bad guys in a similar manner.

The only valid reason I could see for not taking out Soleimani when the opportunity arose is possibly not knowing what kind of void would be created in his absence and who would fill it. The enemy you know is better than the enemy you don't know. That was the blatantly stupid mistake the US government made in toppling Saddam Hussein. We actually made matters much worse in Iraq and elsewhere. Hussein was an evil, brutal dictator who ordered the murders of thousands of political prisoners. But he was a mostly secular dictator who was a bulwark against Islamist extremists. Most of the thousands of troops we lost in Iraq (and hundreds of thousands of civilians who were killed there) died after Hussein was taken out of power. It would have been better for us to leave Saddam alone and concentrate on fighting the war in Afghanistan and finding Bin Laden. But the war in Iraq was a great money-making opportunity for Halliburton!

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Regarding homophone errors. In a venue such as this, informal venue, it may not be so much a lack of knowledge, but lack of proof reading, typing and hitting reply too fast etc. If the general reading public can muddle through it, it's not a big deal. This is an informal venue.

Now, if it's coming from an official publication and issues like this come up, yes, that is a big time concern.

What I have a real hard time with (mainly because this error is a huge pet peeve of mine) is that when have people get all in a tizzy of a really simple homophone mistake that could be easily explained by typing too fast and not proof reading (although it could be a true ignorance of the distinction between the 2), but yet they will use things like "begging the question" in the wrong manner. If they find the homophone usage awful, same should go for "begging the question" as well (and this issue with "begging the question" is something that a lot, and I mean a lot of people do).

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
Regarding homophone errors. In a venue such as this, informal venue, it may not be so much a lack of knowledge, but lack of proof reading, typing and hitting reply too fast etc. If the general reading public can muddle through it, it's not a big deal. This is an informal venue.

The flip side of that is we're sign designers and fabricators. Spelling and proper word usage should naturally be a big deal to us. It's nothing but embarrassing if any kind of sign goes out of the shop with a spelling error on it. We had some yard sign with the term "Transportation Office" on it, but it was spelled "Transporation Office." The thing stood out in public for a year before anyone noticed it!

We also have the ability to edit our posts, thank God. I spot enough typos in my posts and try my best to correct them before posting, but will go back and edit if I only catch it afterward.

But some people really don't understand or make the effort to distinguish the differences between words like "they're," "their" and "there." Even worse, I get the sense some people deliberately type garbage grammar to seem more "cool," as if it's a virtue of youth-oriented culture to write like a lunkhead.

I don't think anyone is getting in a tizzy over the "sew" vs "sow" issue here. It seemed more funny than anything. In other forums or conversation in-person with someone I'm not going to stop someone in mid sentence to correct a grammatical error. In that context the act of correcting someone can be rude.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, I used to really care about that stuff, but not too much anymore. It took a while to realize that the vast majority of the people (at least on this forum), are in this business to make a fast buck. They aren't true communicators nor do they even have the ability to ever be one, but being in this industry used to mean you understood the language and did your best to communicate. If people are too lazy to know through p!ss poor skills or bad typing habits...... so be it. I've gotten to the point of trying to understand what's trying to be said and nothing more. The only thing worse are these people who just write these run-on sentences with no punctuation, upper and lower case and and no flow.

The sad part is, all the non-Americans here who have better writing skills than the people who have gone through 12 years of learning.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
There is a sad yet hilarious joke (or factoid) that most Americans would badly fail the test immigrants have to take when applying for US citizenship.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Iranians? They won't do anything precisely because of actions like bumping off Soleimani. They'll huff and puff, people will dance around chanting, burning flags, and cutting off their ears, but the lesson has been delivered. The specimens in charge realize, or should realize, that things have changed a wee bit and if they should retaliate in some way they'll get their butts kicked up around their shoulder blades

By the bye, has anyone noticed that the flags these beings are burning are, for the most part, printed one-sided on banner material?

WildWestDesigns

The flip side of that is we're sign designers and fabricators. Spelling and proper word usage should naturally be a big deal to us.

And yet, some still make other errors, not just a homophone error, although there could be those as well and yet mention stuff like this.

If it's not the main thrust of the topic at hand, and most of the reader's of the post can muddle through it, why bother?

Now my grandmother (who was an English teacher for many yrs and very much old school) always believed that one practices how they want to speak/write all the time. No slang etc. Even abbreviations, in her mind, were frowned upon. Contractions as well.

Ironically, there was one user on here whose posts always give me a run in trying to decipher. That was an art form in of itself with their posts.

They aren't true communicators nor do they even have the ability to ever be one, but being in this industry used to mean you understood the language and did your best to communicate.

My dad made a similar comment to those in broadcasting and they even sought higher education in the field of communication. He used to cringe when he read contracts from people that were horribly put together, not from a legal standpoint, but a grammatical one.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Alas, when it comes to the written word I can only communicate with poorly constructed bullet points.
I am saddened that I am substandard in the eyes of some of my peers...

WildWestDesigns

Alas, when it comes to the written word I can only communicate with poorly constructed bullet points.
I am saddened that I am substandard in the eyes of some of my peers...

Shouldn't it have been something like:

• "I" can only communicate with poorly constructed bullet points.
  • Saddened that "I" am substandard in the eyes of some of my peers...

Johnny Best

Gac05 is a pleasure to read, he has satirical humor and a quick wit and gets his point over in a few sentences.
But others on here,(I won't mention there names because they will get upset), man, you think they were taking a University of Phoenix writing course.