• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple, what a fad....

CES020

For several years now I have followed some Apple sites just for curiosity sake. I do own an older iphone and I do like it, but nothing else Apple. Not because I don't want it, but because what I have works fine. When whatever I have needs replacing, I'll consider their products.

I think it's become comical to see what apple bashers say and then compare them with reality.

They said the Iphone was a fad. A piece of junk. Look at all the hating going on over the thing over the years. You're all with me so far, right? You know, it's just a toy and an overpriced piece of nonsense sold by snake oil salesmen of the decade, Steve Jobs.

They just announced today they have sold 100,000,000 iphones. That's 1 hundred MILLION phones. Holy crap. That's a crap load of phones. I'm not mathematician but I think anyone that sells 100 million of anything deserves some respect. Heck, I respect Billy Mayes for selling as much OxyClean as he has!

Okay, let's move to the most recent one, the Ipad. "What's that thing for, no one will use it, it's worthless" is about the standard talking point for apple bashers, right? What purpose does it serve? It can't do anything. It's a waste of money.

15 million sold is 9 months for $9.5 billion in revenue. So how many coroplast signs do you need to sell to make $9.5 BILLION in revenue? That's pretty darn impressive for a piece of junk no one wants and no one will buy except those "fan boys".

100 million books downloaded through the ibook store.

Here's the kicker- $2 BILLION paid out to App Store developers to date. That's insane. These products alone have pumped $2 BILLION into the pockets of people just like us, normal folks, writing apps for a living instead of making signs.

Say what you will, but man, those are some impressive numbers for a company that pumps out total crap year after year, according to the haters.

100 million iPhones. That still amazes me. I'm sure others sell more, no doubt, but for something that was a fad, a trend, etc, that's still one pile of phones.

WildWestDesigns

Imagine how many they will sell when the iPhone comes to Verizon. Although I do like my Droid.

I do use the iPad and the iPod. We do have an iMac that is a couple of yrs old. My mom has a MACBook, although, she is going to go back to a PC based laptop next. I like Apple for more of the "gadgets" if you will. I will admit that do have one nice looking screen, but it just always comes back to the pocketbook. I can get more for less going PC and I don't have the problems with virus and all that the PC Bashers are always mentioning.

To me, they all have their pros and cons. It just boils down to what you like and what you are willing to put up with.

David Wright

You know, don't set up straw targets and knock them down. Most people find it odd or even a bit creepy for such devotion to tech gadgets and their companies leader that's all.

There things, good or bad, things.

If you are following this on Apple sites I doubt you get the negative much, maybe other places. How come we don't see this with tools and other everyday objects?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think David has it.
Majority of non-Mac users don't mock Apple or it's products.
It's the fan base that gets the scorn.
Much like lady gaga or justin bieber fans
wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
They mentioned on the news tonight that anyone who bought Apple stock back in 1997 (when Microsoft loaned them money to keep them afloat) has seen a 6,400% return on investment.

CES020

I'm not saying the are better or worse than any other product, just asking at what point the bashers have to admit it's more than a fad. I think 100 million units kinda passes the test.

FrankenSigns.biz

I remember several years ago, when I first noticed and entire isle in Target was dedicated to iPod accessories. I went home and was surprised to see an article that quoted Bill Gates as quipping that iPod sales were "unsustainable." Here's a product that has an entire isle dedicated to add-on's and this big-time-has-been schlep thinks the market is unsustainable. Yeah, right. Here it is 3 years later and it's still going strong.

Say what you will about Apple. Go ahead and sneer about the "kool aide" drinkers. But you cannot deny, that what ever "it" is, Apple has "it", lock stock and barrel.

jiarby

Definitely Apple is a company to be respected... they make great products that people love. Heck.. I even used to work for them a lifetime ago!

I just think that they are over priced... at least spec to spec compared to PC's but I never said they were junk though. Obviously they are untouchable in consumer electronics.. by a mile!

Bill Gates has no idea what people want... he is too much of an analytical engineer type, where Jobs was always better with the style and feel of the products. If it worked then Gates doesn't care how it looks. If it doesn't look good then Jobs doesn't care if it works.

No one that buys Microsoft software can ever complain about how overpriced Apple hardware is... I guess I am guilty of that! ANyone that can rack up 50 billion dollars of personal wealth may have been able to charge a little less for his stuff somewhere along the way.

David Wright

I don't think the Gates/Jobs comparison works. Apple is a hardware and software company.
My response to your first part is total agreement. The Iphone is not a fad nor was it ever.

If you want to talk as an investment, hell yes it is a good one. Of course if I bought I'll bet the stocks would plummet.

phototec

Apple does it again!

The iPhone wasn't the first smart phone, Blackberry introduced in 2002 was very popular being able to access the internet as well as being a moble phone. In 2007 Apple introduced the iPhone 2G, and later in 2008 the iPhone 3G S and application platform that changed the industry forever, and combined with the BlackBerry and Android, smart-phones have taken mobile computing to a new level.

The iPhone's touch screen interface was greatly anticipated, and no phone in the history of the cellular industry ever created so much buzz. People actually camped out overnight to be first in line. AT&T stores closed early Friday, June 29, 2007 to set up the displays, reopening at 6pm and staying late to accommodate customers. Considering more than 20 million iPhones were purchased in the following two years, the enthusiasm was justified.

On Wednesday, Steve Jobs came back to work for the unveiling of the iPad 2, and Apple stock rose $3 a share. Improvements in the second-generation device largely tracked with the rumors preceding its introduction. It is one-third thinner than its predecessor - slimmer than the iPhone 4 - and 15 percent lighter. A front camera allows for video chatting, and a rear camera can shoot high-definition (720p) video.

Now, I might just have to get me one of these!

:cool1: :notworthy: :rock-n-roll: :peace!: :clapping: :glasses:

Attachments

• iPad2.jpg
    iPad2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 241

andy

For several years now I have followed some Apple sites just for curiosity sake. I do own an older iphone and I do like it, but nothing else Apple. Not because I don't want it, but because what I have works fine. When whatever I have needs replacing, I'll consider their products.

I think it's become comical to see what apple bashers say and then compare them with reality.

They said the Iphone was a fad. A piece of junk. Look at all the hating going on over the thing over the years. You're all with me so far, right? You know, it's just a toy and an overpriced piece of nonsense sold by snake oil salesmen of the decade, Steve Jobs.

They just announced today they have sold 100,000,000 iphones. That's 1 hundred MILLION phones. Holy crap. That's a crap load of phones. I'm not mathematician but I think anyone that sells 100 million of anything deserves some respect. Heck, I respect Billy Mayes for selling as much OxyClean as he has!

Okay, let's move to the most recent one, the Ipad. "What's that thing for, no one will use it, it's worthless" is about the standard talking point for apple bashers, right? What purpose does it serve? It can't do anything. It's a waste of money.

15 million sold is 9 months for $9.5 billion in revenue. So how many coroplast signs do you need to sell to make $9.5 BILLION in revenue? That's pretty darn impressive for a piece of junk no one wants and no one will buy except those "fan boys".

100 million books downloaded through the ibook store.

Here's the kicker- $2 BILLION paid out to App Store developers to date. That's insane. These products alone have pumped $2 BILLION into the pockets of people just like us, normal folks, writing apps for a living instead of making signs.

Say what you will, but man, those are some impressive numbers for a company that pumps out total crap year after year, according to the haters.

100 million iPhones. That still amazes me. I'm sure others sell more, no doubt, but for something that was a fad, a trend, etc, that's still one pile of phones.

Impressive isn't it....

Take what Alan Turing invented in terms of computers, combine this with the pioneering work the Racal company did inventing mobile telephony.... add a British designed ARM micro chip, pay a British product designer and you have the Iphone....

I take the long view of these things..... microsoft or apple, branded name of Chinese generic... it's all our technology packaged into different boxes.

Rooster

They mentioned on the news tonight that anyone who bought Apple stock back in 1997 (when Microsoft loaned them money to keep them afloat) has seen a 6,400% return on investment.

I had about $3500 worth of apple stock when it was trading around $7 a share. I sold it a few months later when it hit $35 a share......

Doh!:banghead:

Sticky Signs

I'll admit, I'm an apple guy but I'm a little choked because I just spent 3g's on a new laptop and they've gone and changed all the connections. I had to spend another 90 bucks on cables. Now I have about 90bucks worth of old cables sitting in a box.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I'll admit, I'm an apple guy but I'm a little choked because I just spent 3g's on a new laptop and they've gone and changed all the connections. I had to spend another 90 bucks on cables. Now I have about 90bucks worth of old cables sitting in a box.

Huh? What connections? The only thing they just added is thunderbolt but I don't know of any peripherals to connect it to yet. The rest are the same that they've had for a while now

gnemmas

Still Apple-free.

What gets me most is news like Los Angeles USD set up computer lab in their system equipted with "Apple Computers". Huh? My tax dollar wasted on that??? What $600 Dell desktops can not do for $1,200 Apples for school kids?