• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple, what a fad....

CES020

The feeling of exclusivity. Doesn't really mean that you are getting a better product, but perhaps the "perception" of a better product.

Well, I guess 100 Million people want to feel "exclusive" with their phones :) Does 100 million really mean you can call yourself "exclusive"?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I don't think discussing this is going nowhere. If you have no interest... don't read the thread.

If you are interested, Wiki "Apple clone". I found it a very interesting read.

Apple has total control of the hardware that it runs it's operating system on. Microsoft does not. This may explain the reputation of Apple computers being "bug free". It also explains why Apples tend to be more expensive than PC's. (see post 38)

it's not that I have no interest of course I do. It's just that this happens so often. The pc people defend their machines and always find an argument to support their cause. And Mac people do the same thing. If you are pro one way or the other, no amount of stats, links or whatever will likely sway anyone.

I prefer that Apple leaves out the clone makers. It is not just the hardware that matters, but the software too

This is just like the corel vs illustrator threads

WildWestDesigns

Well, I guess 100 Million people want to feel "exclusive" with their phones :) Does 100 million really mean you can call yourself "exclusive"?

Given the almost cult mentality that Apple owners appear to have, sure(of course, all diehards are going to have that mentality as well, so that transends specific products). Feeling of exclusivity isn't really a rational feeling, it's all about how good a products marketing department has been more then anything. It's a feeling that may or may not be true.

ForgeInc

I agree it's a common discussion and rarely does anyone change their mind. I've been using macs since 1993 in design school. I started using Corel on a PC prior to that in a sign shop, and I'd have to say the difference between macs and PCs was far greater years ago. PCs have gotten a bit more user friendly over the years (dare I say more like macs?) but they still can't come close in terms of ease of use and durability. Granted, they are far cheaper. But I can buy a mac, a wireless router, a printer, and any number of peripherals and 9 times out of ten hook em up, and all works well. No software downloads, no inserting installation CDs, no config prompts. Of course this isn't always the case, but usually it's far easier than setting up similar stuff on a PC.

Also, I don't mind paying a bit extra for a keen attention to detail on the design, interfaces, and overall aesthetic of a product. I am always amazed at the details when upgrading mac computers. Like when I upgraded my laptop a few years ago, plugged in the power cord, and it "snapped" into place via magnetic connection. Brilliant, considering my old power cord bent at the plug in point when I dropped it on it's side once and rendered my computer inoperable because it ruined the plug and connector.

Or how They started adding little fold out tabs on the power supply cord to wrap your cord around. Many people won't appreciate such details and complain ANY extra costs ain't worth it, but being a designer who charges quite a bit for such services I'm a bit biased ;)

WildWestDesigns

it's not that I have no interest of course I do. It's just that this happens so often. The pc people defend their machines and always find an argument to support their cause. And Mac people do the same thing. If you are pro one way or the other, no amount of stats, links or whatever will likely sway anyone.

Not exactly the case. Information changes and having discussions like this frequent(but maybe not weekly frequent) help keep things current.

I will defend my position and while it may not appear that I keep an open mind, I really do try to while the other person is presenting their side. That's how I learn. Same thing with Draw v. Illustrator, or diesel trucks v. gas trucks. Something might have been a negative a couple of years ago(depends on the product that is being discussed) and due to new information something has been done that makes it a positive.

wes70

Creationism vs Atheistism, Republican vs Democrat, Ford vs Chevy and Mac vs PC... the debates live on! :)

WildWestDesigns

I agree it's a common discussion and rarely does anyone change their mind. I've been using macs since 1993 in design school. I started using Corel on a PC prior to that in a sign shop, and I'd have to say the difference between macs and PCs was far greater years ago. PCs have gotten a bit more user friendly over the years (dare I say more like macs?) but they still can't come close in terms of ease of use and durability. Granted, they are far cheaper. But I can buy a mac, a wireless router, a printer, and any number of peripherals and 9 times out of ten hook em up, and all works well. No software downloads, no inserting installation CDs, no config prompts. Of course this isn't always the case, but usually it's far easier than setting up similar stuff on a PC.

Windows 7 I have found to be a lot like the iMAC that we have. They do seem to be moving more and more to the same type of GUI.

FrankenSigns.biz

Windows 7 I have found to be a lot like the iMAC that we have. They do seem to be moving more and more to the same type of GUI.

Evan, what the heck are you talking about comparing any version of Windows to the Mac OS? All versions of Windows are at best, crude Mac OS rip-offs. Apples innovates, Microsoft imitates...

Jack Knight1979

I always wanted apple products, but couldn't justify the cost in my younger years.

However quality of the cases, internals, specific software and hardware engineering produces the fastest, trouble free, and cleanest machines.

(God forbid something goes, because parts are not easy to get. PC's are easier to repair and trouble shoot.)

Look at the cleanest PC internal components and cases. They are garbage. Open up a power mac and have a look at the manufacturing tolerances of the case alone.

That attention to detail goes into everything they create.

I was the IT director of a multi-million dollar company. I know a little about this topic.

That being said. I was a pc guy forever because they serve their purpose. I'll never go back to pc's.

64bit 8 core power mac
2 Intel iMacs
2 G5 iMacs
Countless iPod touches
Macbook for the wife.

One bloated PC barely running Versa Works.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yup, the inside of a Macpro is a beautiful thing. Forget the niche PC companies. I have yet to see a major PC mfr with the same attention to detail and clean build

CES020

Apple's made millionaires out of common, small programmers. Around Christmas, I saw the report that one developer was making $50,000 a day from his apps around the Christmas time. In two days, I think he made over $100,000. That's normal people, like you and me, that made a boat load of money.

Who's making money on the PC side? McAfee? Norton? Adobe?

I applaud that system that enpowered (sp?) so many little people to step up and create. I'd think that would be a good thing.

I've always been amazed at how people, in their jobs, want top dollar for their products, but when shopping someone elses products, always want to pay bottom dollar. When someone else charges more for a premium product, they are ripping you off, but when you want to charge more for a premium product, you're simply offering a quality product that's better made than the competitor. That's always fascinated me. People will complain Macs are too expensive and then drive home in their $35,000 car.

2972renfro

Watch this video. Tell me of another PC manufacturer that has a case like this. About 1:55 in if you don't want to watch the whole video

http://www.viddler.com/explore/imhassan/videos/1/

What about the simple ingenuity of the cover for the new ipad2? Watch the video at apple's site. Sheer genius

Look at how small and efficient the ipods have become

Google macpro internal for those of you that have looked inside one and tell me that isn't amazing

Tight tolerances on manufacturing rather than cheap plastic cases of the typical PC. Everyone compares prices but are missing the big picture. I would think that as artistic people, this board would see that

It is no different then when you guys bitch about people price shopping your signs. Aren't you selling more than just the banner. Anybody with enough money can print out banners. It's about the design that goes into it

Same deal here, don't look at the price as the sole deciding factor

2972renfro

I've always been amazed at how people, in their jobs, want top dollar for their products, but when shopping someone elses products, always want to pay bottom dollar. When someone else charges more for a premium product, they are ripping you off, but when you want to charge more for a premium product, you're simply offering a quality product that's better made than the competitor. That's always fascinated me. People will complain Macs are too expensive and then drive home in their $35,000 car.

Exactly. I have noticed members on here showing off their expensive cars, boats, motorcycles, 2nd and 3rd cars, trucks, you name it and then in another thread they complain that the price of a mac is too expensive.

signmeup

Have been using macs for 20 years now and still think they are a far better machine than the standard PC. That said PCs have there place as well and they do a fine job for what they do. Still believe macs are better, more stable, easier to use and a better product.

jim
Wouldn't you have to use Macs and PC's side by side, performing exactly the same tasks, simultaniously for 20 years to form a valid opinion? (maybe you did...)

I've never used a Mac for anything, ever, so I have no idea if they are better or worse than a PC or what the differences are. I'm just too cheap to spring for a MAC (or a $35000 car). That and I have no idea where I would get a MAC from... we have no Apple Stores around here. I've never noticed them at Future Shop.

My current PC cost just over $300 brand spanking new from Future Shop. It has functioned without incident for 3 years so far. Would a Mac run my Ebay plotter any better? Who knows?

2972renfro

Seriously signmeup you don't know how to buy an apple? The internet maybe? I hope that was a joke

No Macs are not for everyone, especially if you are in the sign business. Most cut vinyl software is PC only and a bit tough to get drivers to work with on a Mac. Or older plotters that cannot connect because they have serial or parallel ports. Even most rips are pc only.

Macs are more entrenched in the design world and not so much in office environments or production facilities

I would never recommend a Mac to you with your apparent set up

signmeup

Watch this video. Tell me of another PC manufacturer that has a case like this.
I'm sure Apple makes a very fine computer but I couldn't give a rats a$$ what it's case looks like. I can't even see the case on mine... it's shoved under my desk. (sometimes the tin cover vibrates a bit and I have to give it a gentle kick)
I bought my computer to do various tasks. I surf the internet, run my plotter and a few programs. As long as it does these tasks, I'm happy.

signmeup

Seriously signmeup you don't know how to buy an apple? The internet maybe? I hope that was a joke

No Macs are not for everyone, especially if you are in the sign business. Most cut vinyl software is PC only and a bit tough to get drivers to work with on a Mac. Or older plotters that cannot connect because they have serial or parallel ports. Even most rips are pc only.

Macs are more entrenched in the design world and not so much in office environments or production facilities

I would never recommend a Mac to you with your apparent set up
Who's gonna fix my MAC if I have a problem? The local repair shops don't do MACs. (most of them can barely fix a PC) And you are spot on with the parallel and serial ports. Heck, I still have a floppy drive for 2 programs I use.

2972renfro

Like I said, I would not recommend it to you. You missed the whole point of the video and links. Some people don't care what their car, house, shoes, sunglasses, phone, fridge, or for that matter computer and what it looks like or how it's made. You are a point A to point B kind of guy. Just as long as it gets the job done

I have no problem with that and am not complaining or trying to give you a hard time

Jack Knight1979

at the end of the day there are people with certain interests.

I like industrial design and well thought out engineering. I like macs.

I'm not a fan of pc's for many reasons, but if you do light computing you don't need a mac.

I can run every program I have on my mac, including the adobe creative suite and it still runs at the same speed as when there is one program open.

This is important to me. I own a mac.