• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple, what a fad....

artsnletters

I'm a cheap bastard using Macs and while i'm behind on the newest hardware. i've pretty much bought used older Macs (i have 3 G4's and a 2006 pre-Intel G5 tower) except my MacBook...which was bought off craigslist for a deal, still under Apple warrantee. The macbook's DVD drive didn't work and i didn't check it when i bought it. Stupid me. Transferred ownership on Apples website, called for service on Sat. Tuesday i had a pre-made box and pre-paid shipping label. Shipped it Tues. Got a message it was in, being worked on wed. Thursday it was back in my hands at 10:00 AM! I promptly added the 2 extra years of Applecare to my machine. It has been on thousands of miles of motorcycle rides, in an Oakley bag, in my saddlebags. No further problems...yep call me an Apple fan boy. The stuff plain works. I've sold at least 4 friends on Macs and OSX...once they use it, they wonder why they put up with all the BS of a PC.
Sorry for the long winded response.
Tim

signmeup

I'm a cheap bastard using Macs and while i'm behind on the newest hardware. i've pretty much bought used older Macs (i have 3 G4's and a 2006 pre-Intel G5 tower) except my MacBook...which was bought off craigslist for a deal, still under Apple warrantee. The macbook's DVD drive didn't work and i didn't check it when i bought it. Stupid me. Transferred ownership on Apples website, called for service on Sat. Tuesday i had a pre-made box and pre-paid shipping label. Shipped it Tues. Got a message it was in, being worked on wed. Thursday it was back in my hands at 10:00 AM! I promptly added the 2 extra years of Applecare to my machine. It has been on thousands of miles of motorcycle rides, in an Oakley bag, in my saddlebags. No further problems...yep call me an Apple fan boy. The stuff plain works. I've sold at least 4 friends on Macs and OSX...once they use it, they wonder why they put up with all the BS of a PC.
Sorry for the long winded response.
Tim
Um... it didn't work when you got it....

artsnletters

Um... it didn't work when you got it....

yeah i was a dumbass...didn't bring a DVD to pop in it. Didn't work, OK correct. But the absolutely stellar customer service, shipping and service made it work in a couple of days. All on a purchased used computer. In all of my 5 macs, from a Beige G3 that i use for Flexisign operating on OS 9.2, to my 3 G4's and the G5, not one has ever had a virus, a dead drive, problem in the least. I've added memory, added DVD drives, extra hard drives and never had to have anyone else work on any of them, except the later black Macbook with the intel chips. Some of these computers are as old as maybe 12 years old, they still keep on ticking, and making me money. How many PCs are still viable after that many years....?
Tim

Freese

I have a 27" iMac and I love it.

The screen is fantastic and huge and it actually doubles as a TV in my room and a computer. I have it wall mounted on a swivel so it can move to any position.

1080p movies look awesome.

I use the Mac OSX for my graphics, video editing, etc etc, but boot into Windows 7 to play a few sports games.

All in all, it's the best purchase I've ever made to fit every need I needed in the computer (and TV)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The other major difference is that Apple doesn't allow "clones". This keeps independant computer manufacures (Compaq, Dell, HP...) from making Macs and having price wars, thus keeping the price and quality up on Apple's products.

This guy looks like a MAC clown to me, wait you said CLONE didn't you - never mind.....

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• 34jan29-fanboy.jpg
    34jan29-fanboy.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 134

signmeup

The MAC clown in the leotard with the boner is gonna take a while to "unsee". Thanks Wayne.

Last edited:
J

john1

Imagine how many they will sell when the iPhone comes to Verizon. Although I do like my Droid.

I do use the iPad and the iPod. We do have an iMac that is a couple of yrs old. My mom has a MACBook, although, she is going to go back to a PC based laptop next. I like Apple for more of the "gadgets" if you will. I will admit that do have one nice looking screen, but it just always comes back to the pocketbook. I can get more for less going PC and I don't have the problems with virus and all that the PC Bashers are always mentioning.

To me, they all have their pros and cons. It just boils down to what you like and what you are willing to put up with.

The iPhone has been on Verizon for about a month now.....

I had blackberrys and driods and the iPhone blows any of those away. I won't be buying another phone outside the iPhone as far as i see.

I would have all Mac computers but i had already bought WinBlows software and it would be too expensive to switch now. I know you can run all these programs to make windows programs run on Mac but why even buy a Mac in the first place if your going to do that.

Apple FTW

artsnletters

Sheesh. One guy says his MAC just plain works... but when it breaks the customer service is great... you just have to mail it in and it comes back 6 days later all better.
i guess i was wrong to think getting something serviced under warrantee in 3 days door to door was unique. California to North Carolina and back. My first AND only experience with sending out an Apple product cause something broke. Seriously. In 12+ years. Show me how your PC compares to that.....
Tim

PS and Wayne yeah, that pic was harsh...

signmeup

That is an amazing feat. I don't think you could pull that off in Canada.
If my $300 PC gives me too much trouble I'll just get a new one. I've got my eye on a refurb at Staples that's going for $299. 3.2ghz with 4g of ram loaded with XP pro. My mind boggles at the thought....

CES020

My Bad. It's 100 million people that are wrong and 3 of you are right. Sorry we were so misguided, thanks for clearing it up. I won't be on here for a while, I have 999,999,999 people to tell they were wrong, it was just a fad and they wasted their money :Big Laugh

I think a point some keep missing is the point that YOU ask for premium dollar for YOUR product and that's okay. But if someone else asks for a premium price for their product, they seem to be ripping people off. Doesn't add up to me. I try and live my life consistent. If I think I deserve a premium price, I'm willing to bet, in most every market, there's someone that deserves a premium price for their product.

But there is zero consistency in some of your positions. You take the position that you should go the least expensive route on the tools to do your job, but then you go by a Summa plotter, an Epson GS6000, a MultiCam router. So you buy the best money can buy on some tools, and that's logical and okay, but when it comes to others, you tell them they are wasting their money for nothing.

A cheap chinese plotter will cut vinyl. A cheap printer will print, a chinese router will cut. They all do the job. But it's okay to spend on those and you're not overspending or paying too much, but for a tool you stare at every day you work, you don't believe there's any benefit? I don't get it.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/103959/Study_Dell_customer_rating_plunges_Apple_leads_pack Shows they beat everyone in customer satisfaction. I guess it's just more misguided people.

David Wright

My Bad. It's 100 million people that are wrong and 3 of you are right. Sorry we were so misguided, thanks for clearing it up. I won't be on here for a while, I have 999,999,999 people to tell they were wrong, it was just a fad and they wasted their money :Big Laugh

I think a point some keep missing is the point that YOU ask for premium dollar for YOUR product and that's okay. But if someone else asks for a premium price for their product, they seem to be ripping people off. Doesn't add up to me. I try and live my life consistent. If I think I deserve a premium price, I'm willing to bet, in most every market, there's someone that deserves a premium price for their product.

But there is zero consistency in some of your positions. You take the position that you should go the least expensive route on the tools to do your job, but then you go by a Summa plotter, an Epson GS6000, a MultiCam router. So you buy the best money can buy on some tools, and that's logical and okay, but when it comes to others, you tell them they are wasting their money for nothing.

A cheap chinese plotter will cut vinyl. A cheap printer will print, a chinese router will cut. They all do the job. But it's okay to spend on those and you're not overspending or paying too much, but for a tool you stare at every day you work, you don't believe there's any benefit? I don't get it.

You are just not getting it. Yes we believe in buying premium products just not everything Apple. There are high end well built PCs out there, not just the low end Acers, Compaqs etc.

Just because someone charges a premium price does not make it so. That said, Apple makes good computers. Too limited in it's structure for me but also it is not worth the extra high premium it charges. The buying public pretty much agrees, and I am not talking about the average doofus who buys ignorantly looking for big spec numbers printed on the sales sticker.

SignStudent

To me it seems you're just twisting people's words. I haven't seen anyone say you should use the least expensive tools.

It's not just about buying a $300 computer because it's the cheapest, it's simply the most efficient way for many to spend money. If it does what you need then you're getting far more for each dollar spent.

Some things are worth paying a premium for, others aren't. If you're one who can benefit from all that a Mac has to offer then yes, they're worth it. If a cheap PC works well for you then the savings could be better spent elsewhere.

FrankenSigns.biz

Just yesterday Steve Jobs said, “It’s in Apple’s DNA that technology is not enough.” That’s what separates Apple from everyone else, and the iPad epitomizes it. It’s better designed, has more developer support, and it’s cheaper. There are aspects of this that Apple’s competitors seemingly can’t copy — lower prices from economies of scale, amazing battery life, UI responsiveness, build quality.

But there are other things any competitor could copy, easily, but they seemingly don’t even understand that they should, because such things aren’t technical. Take that chair. The on-stage demos of the iPad aren’t conducted at a table or a lectern. They’re conducted sitting in an armchair. That conveys something about the feel of the iPad before its screen is even turned on. Comfortable, emotional, simple, elegant. How it feels is the entirety of the iPad’s appeal.

It’s a shame, almost, that we squandered the term “personal computer” 30 years ago.

W

wetgravy

OK, here is a question for you guys. Based on this concept... and straight from the factory... What software do you get preinstalled with Windows that lets you do something this creative?

On my "more expensive" Mac, I can compose a movie with imovie, produce music with Garageband and burn a professional looking DVD using iDVD. So do I win all of these contests easily? I am looking at an older version of XP on Parallels and not seeing how I can do the same using a PC without having to go out and buy software

Just saying:thumb:

windows movie maker is free and included with windows. as for music composing, that is a win there, though my $250 system I got for data storage (loaded in 4 hard drives into it) came with dvd creation software, light scribe dvd-r and music/video composition software that is really nice. HP and Compaq's are rather good for the goodies that are functional.

That being said, I've owned apples, own pcs and when I get a tablet I will get either an android or windows based tablet. Out of it all I prefer PC to apple, not because it's superior ... I prefer it because there is more open source programming available, I can upgrade and repair my pc easier and while I am a fan of some of the apps i've seen in the itunes store ... many of them are for iphones and ipads ... not so much the mac. Plus if I'm buying a system for $2k ... it better come with dual 23" monitors and enough ram to choke a horse. As it is, I'm on the corner of upgrading to a new computer system, current system becomes a media station (maxed out the hardware a year ago), laptop is still a portable cutting/work station and my data storage station still does periodic updates and backs up every other one while still being able to provide my studio with some streaming music, plays dvd's and is largely a massive dump drive. new system will start with 8 gigs of ram, have a 2 gig video card and a 2 terabyte drive with 2 23" monitors and will be $900-$1200 for all of that, with the extra grand I save, I can pick up a wacom 12" cintiq to throw into my machine if i wanted to blow an extra grand ... or you know ... hookers and blow is always an option too.

WildWestDesigns

To me it seems you're just twisting people's words. I haven't seen anyone say you should use the least expensive tools.

It's not just about buying a $300 computer because it's the cheapest, it's simply the most efficient way for many to spend money. If it does what you need then you're getting far more for each dollar spent.

Some things are worth paying a premium for, others aren't. If you're one who can benefit from all that a Mac has to offer then yes, they're worth it. If a cheap PC works well for you then the savings could be better spent elsewhere.

That is it right there. That's what I was trying to get at, but apparently not that well.

If cheap was what I was about, I wouldn't have spent on my video card alone what people have spent on their whole computer.

Also, once again, I believe in the saying: better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. That isn't the mentality of a cheap person.

For the coup de grace, I also use a Cinteq 21UX, no cheapie by any means, I could have bought a whole new computer for that price, however, in my estimation there is no comparison to Wacom's products, so I went all out. Half of that was already paid for by the grand that I saved from not getting that quad core MAC that was close to the computer that I built, but not the same.

I'm not against going all out if that is the best option. This has to be evaluated on on an individual basis.

CES020 said:
You make those choices every day yourself, but when someone else makes the same choices you make, being on a different product, they seem to be "overpaying".

Not at all, however, I kept on saying I couldn't reconcile the price of a MAC for me. If that price is worth it to you, then great. It isn't for me, that is my own individual circumstance. This computer I have is far more then I would ever need, even doing a lot of 3D rendering that I do and I got it for 1k less then a MAC that had less RAM and less of a graphics card, less hard-drive and I can(and do) run 3 monitors at one time. Some of the programs, I would still have to run windows virtually off the MAC, even more cost of buying the OS and the software to do that. I have a lot of savings there not going the MAC route. Why is that such a bad decision as it seems to me that some of y'all are hinting at?

Mainframe

I have endured the ridicule about my Macs since 1992, I have never bought a pc but I have windows loaded on my imac because Roland won't write Versaworks for the Mac os. I have 4 Macs networked at the shop, (One is os9 g4) & I also have a Macbook Pro that was down for a bit because my kid poured water in the top, but now it is back up & running. For the guys who have never ran or owned a Mac, I can see why they would question buying one, they are getting the job done with what they bought & have forked over a lot less money (in some cases, because I see on here some guys build some beefy pcs & they have some bucks in them)

When my Macbook Pro was down I had the pleasure of running my daughter's Toshiba win 7 machine, I feel like the thing just argues with you the whole time you use it, it takes a long time to boot or wake up & it froze on me at least 5 times in 2 weeks, this is more than my 4 intel Macs have done in 2 years. My dad gave her the machine because she is the apple of his eye, (second one he gave her in 5 years) She is always trying to get her hands on my laptop & is graduating this year & asked for a Macbook Pro for her graduation present. which I will be happy to buy her.

I have always felt like owning a Mac was my little secret, I don't want the PC people to know how nice it is for a Mac to wake instantly ready to go, how the screens are bright & clear, how the operating system works seamlessly with the software, heck even windows runs nice on it, ha ha, like another program is loaded. I have very little trouble with colors when printing to the vp540, they show up in the print a lot like what was on the screen. I didn't want the world to know how doing the most mundane tasks with a computer was fun, how great they played my music & videos & easy it was to load & use software.

But the world is finding us out, one iphone, ipod & ipad at a time, a zillion people that mocked & poked fun at Apple are climbing on board, all the while I have to chuckle because many still tell me they LOVE their iphone but would never get a Mac. (My brother is one) The ipad is a life changing device they are blown away with. But would never switch, I don't argue with them at all, I just ask & let them answer, but if you are reading this & you like your iphone, ipod & ipad, you would LOVE a Mac, it has more power, does more things & best of all, the world is my ap store, my osx is not locked, I can buy my programs right from the developer & that is the way I like it. But in the same token a lot more people are telling me the next time they get a computer it will be a Mac, many of them are in my family, I just think it is funny they are all coming in the back door. & sad for me because the virus writers will set their crosshairs on Macs instead.

I don't own an ipad, iphone or ipod, just sayin.