• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple, what a fad....

WildWestDesigns

but if you are reading this & you like your iphone, ipod & ipad, you would LOVE a Mac,it has more power

1 iPod, 2 iTouch, 1 iPad and 1 iMac and I still prefer my PC to the iMac. Only reason I have the iMAC is because my dad bought it thought it would be better and he said that it was actually too slow for him. That's exactly what he said. Some of y'all might not believe me given my stance on this, but that was what he said. I didn't think it was too slow, but he did.

I use it for strictly entertainment while I'm doing embroidery, that's it. All my work is done on the PC.

Now, I do love my iPod, iTouch(I've had 2 of them) and iPad, but I still prefer my PC.

Mainframe

1 iPod, 2 iTouch, 1 iPad and 1 iMac and I still prefer my PC to the iMac. Only reason I have the iMAC is because my dad bought it thought it would be better and he said that it was actually too slow for him. That's exactly what he said. Some of y'all might not believe me given my stance on this, but that was what he said. I didn't think it was too slow, but he did.

I use it for strictly entertainment while I'm doing embroidery, that's it. All my work is done on the PC.

Now, I do love my iPod, iTouch(I've had 2 of them) and iPad, but I still prefer my PC.

Good

Tim Aucoin

Just want to get my 2 cents worth (or in the case of Mac's... my $2000 worth) in on this fun thread!

We (my wife & I) are all Mac at home. We have the best 27" iMac (and love it), we each have our own new 15" MacBook Pro (and love them), and our own iPad (love them too... and will likely get the iPad2 and sell the current ones for a steal), we each have an iPhone 4 (you guessed it... love them), and we have Apple TV in the family room. The new Apple TV in conjunction with the AirPlay feature in IOS 4.2 (and soon to be released 4.3) is just amazing! I can sit here with my MacBook and click a button and "whamo", it's on my big screen! How cool is that?!

I am "forced" to run a few PC's at my business alongside the Mac pros and iMacs that so beautifully decorate the space due to accounting software & RIP requirement on the printers. Heck, our high speed Xerox Digital Press runs on a Linux system!

The main reason I choose Mac over PC is because I can afford to! Yes, I can get an equivalent (feature) PC for less $$, but, the included software is nothing compared to the Mac software INCLUDED with the system. PLUS, I don't need anti-virus software (yet). PLUS, I am getting hardware AND software manufactured by the same source. When I buy a Mac, I don't have to wonder which brand computer will best run my software... there is only one! Microsoft makes software... not computers. Apple makes software AND the computer they put it on... go figure! And don't get me started on the beauty of MobileMe!! :Big Laugh Another idea Microsoft "imitated" with their "Cloud" thingey they always advertise about lately!

Did I mention the Thunderbolt port that this Macbook I'm typing on comes with? Two companies will have drives out this spring (Promise and LaCie), and I intend to get my wife & I each one of them to back up our Macbooks with! And yes, I'll buy them through the Apple store! :Big Laugh

Flame

It’s better designed, has more developer support, and it’s cheaper. There are aspects of this that Apple’s competitors seemingly can’t copy — lower prices from economies of scale, amazing battery life, UI responsiveness, build quality.

I bought a chinese touch screen MP3 player little over a year ago. Ya know, side by side with a ipod, it will browse through songs just as fast, is easy to navigate, plugs into my LG phone charger, touch screen works perfectly fine (even a year later) and it holds 8GB, and works with windows media player. Still working great. I paid $18 shipped for it.

The touch is what....$170?

Apple is not magic. They are just a great marketing company with good equipment.

WildWestDesigns

I bought a chinese touch screen MP3 player little over a year ago. Ya know, side by side with a ipod, it will browse through songs just as fast, is easy to navigate, plugs into my LG phone charger, touch screen works perfectly fine (even a year later) and it holds 8GB, and works with windows media player. Still working great. I paid $18 shipped for it.

The touch is what....$170?

Apple is not magic. They are just a great marketing company with good equipment.

Technically speaking aren't the iPods and everything made and assembled in China? They may be designed out in Cali, but I think they are made in China.

signmeup

Everything's made in China. The Chinese build whatever quality you are willing to pay for. They're very,very good at it. And there's a pile of them.

WildWestDesigns

Everything's made in China. The Chinese build whatever quality you are willing to pay for. They're very,very good at it. And there's a pile of them.

Most everything. I've got a few things not made in China, because no matter what grade you are willing to pay for, they don't do a good job with it. Not everything mind you, but some things.

Unfortunately, we need to try to get some production back here, I think it would be good. We can't do it all, but we do need to get some back.

signmeup

Most everything. I've got a few things not made in China, because no matter what grade you are willing to pay for, they don't do a good job with it. Not everything mind you, but some things.

Unfortunately, we need to try to get some production back here, I think it would be good. We can't do it all, but we do need to get some back.
Balony! They invented everything 2000 years ago and they're just waiting till they own us outright before they all come over here. They're saving the best stuff for themselves.

WildWestDesigns

Balony! They invented everything 2000 years ago and they're just waiting till they own us outright before they all come over here. They're saving the best stuff for themselves.

First off, they were limited to the "technology" at the time 2000 yrs ago. So inventing everything is a little out there. Second, I was talking about making things, not inventing them. Some of the stuff I am thinking about are not going to be thought of by the everyday person, well maybe or maybe not one or two members that I know share a like field of interest to myself that isn't directly related to signs.

I find this line of discussion kinda funny in a way. When I was growing up we were worried about being taken over by the japanese since they were making everything then. I don't recall them over taking us. Maybe China will accomplish what the Japanese failed to do, I don't know. Just find it funny that type of them coming back up.

Dan Antonelli

I've used both PC and Mac and both have their weaknesses and strengths, but the thing that I loathe about apple isn't the computer itself, but the the fanboy hipster mentality. It's a freakin' computer, not a way of life.

If you take offense to this... maybe you're one of them....

I don't take offense to this, but it is actually my way of life. The last thing I touch at night is either my iphone or Macbook Pro. When I wake up, its my iPhone. Then I ride my trainer with iPad for an hour. The I get in my car, and listen to music on my old iPhone 3G. The I get in my office and work on MacPro for 9 hours, surrounded by 6 employees all on 27" iMacs.

Call me a fanboy I suppose, but my life does somewhat revolve around Macs, and Apple. I've enjoyed a pretty good livelihood because of them. Have been through approx 25+ Macs in last 15 years, and have had zero viruses or downtime except for my first HD failure last year.

So I'll pay a little more for that. One virus and days worth of pay lost dealing with it erases all the savings you might get from a PC.

DISCLAIMER. I own Apple stock. Bought at 100 before iPhone launch. I'm trying to pump up the stock here, as you can tell haha

CES020

To me it seems you're just twisting people's words. I haven't seen anyone say you should use the least expensive tools.

I'm not twisting words, I'm trying to understand logic. I'd like to try and understand how, if I buy a Mac, I'm a fanboy that's wasted my money because I could have done it cheaper, but you, with Oakley sunglasses hanging off your head for $160 a pair are hip and cool. Just trying to understand that line of reasoning and logic, that's all.

It seems to me, it's not about "fanboys", but rather the opposite. It's the anti apple group that just can't budge an inch. They can't get the words across their lips that apple does make some nice products. Some of you can, Wild West seems to be the most logical on it all, he says they make some nice products, but the computers aren't for him, but if you want one, great. Seems like a reasonable position to me, but you don't get that with the apple bashers.

I'm in the market for a computer right now. The IMac is $1199. The Dell is $1156 with their higher end monitor, which I believe is still not as good as the apple display. So how is $43 on a $1200 item "Way overpriced"? That's the same processor class, same memory, same size monitor, same size hard drive.

When it's down to $50, I'm going to have to look at things like support, customer service, ease of use, etc to make that call.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yep, that's because Illustrator is for true graphic professionals and Corel is for amature (wannabees), it's always the same argument that Corel is cheaper, easier to learn and use, has a shorter leaning curve, that's right, because it is NOT for professionals.

By those words you demonstrate that you are a fool.

A craftsman does not give undue reverence to its tools. A journeyman sign writer can can produce an acceptable sign with whatever might be at hand. From the finest enamels and quills to a finger dipped in mayonnaise [not miracle whip]. If it's digital work it shouldn't matter a whit whose logo might be on the computer or what software might be used. Part of being a professional is realizing this.

Every year a new hoard of incompetents boil out of academia, just knowing that they and they alone are privy to the One True Way. Typically these specimens know little and understand nothing. The Apple uber alles mentality is but one feature of these well indoctrinated folk. Perhaps because Apple and to a somewhat lesser extent, Adobe, support academia with all manner of gifts and grants.

Much the same thing happened in that late '80's and early 90's. Hoards of inept doofi packing newly minted degrees in computer science came forth thinking that Pascal was an actual language worthy of being used for actual work rather than the rather convoluted teaching aid it was designed to be.

They would recoil in horror that I and my merry band of peers, all of whom were competent to work in virtually any language on the planet, would opt for root canal before using the One True Language as delivered unto them by the gods of academia. As I recall the most of these people were dilettantes incapable of finding their asses with both hands. Those for which there was hope managed to shed their scholastic indoctrination and get on with it.

GypsyGraphics

maybe if the technology industry was more like the pharmaceutical industry, people would get it.
frankly, i know as much about the development of technology as i do about drugs.... just a smidge more than zero. what i do know is, that the innovator, the leader, the brilliant minds in both industries come at a premium and rightfully so.

the generic drug makers waltz in after ALL THE WORK is done and make an acceptable facsimile of the original. not having to invest years and millions of dollars in the research and development... they have the luxury of being able to charge less.

i believe it's something like 7 years before drug companies can legally attempt to duplicate the original drug? in the technology world, all they have to do is wait for apple to innovate and the minute their product hits the market... duplicate with acceptable facsimiles.

i'm not putting down generic drugs or pc.... it's the nature of business and free market.

bash the innovators all you want... while you happily enjoy the fruits of their labor.

respectfully,
fanggirl of the innovator

Flame

Yep, that's because Illustrator is for true graphic professionals and Corel is for amature (wannabees), it's always the same argument that Corel is cheaper, easier to learn and use, has a shorter leaning curve, that's right, because it is NOT for professionals.

:ROFLMAO:

Was that supposed to be a joke or do you really believe that?

FrankenSigns.biz

Read it an weep PC users, read it and weep.

Concord Securities analyst's discussions with Apple's suppliers indicate the company's build plans call for the manufacture of upwards of 4.5 million Mac systems during the three-month period ending March. At those rates, Apple is likely to stand out as the only worldwide PC vendor to report material growth on a quarter-to-quarter basis, he added.

Brisk sales of the new MacBook Airs only serve to fortify claims that the design of the new portables can be seen as a harbinger for the future direction of Apple's other notebook families, which are similarly expected to adopt smaller footprints and shed yesteryear technologies -- such as hard disk and optical drives -- by the second half of 2012.

SSD's provide such a huge performance increase, I am in the process of installing one in every capable computer I have. If you haven't looked into an SSD upgrade you should.

Last edited:
My problem with Apple is it tells you that you must use its software (iTunes). You must only use iPhone apps approved by the company. Or else. Not so with other mp3 players or phones.

To put it in signmaking terms, how would you like it if your plotter only worked with one particular design software? Sorry, you can only use Flexi, for example. No Illy, Corel, Photoshop, Signlab, etc., etc.

CES020

My problem with Apple is it tells you that you must use its software (iTunes). You must only use iPhone apps approved by the company. Or else. Not so with other mp3 players or phones.

Interesting. What you consider a problem, I consider an asset. Here's what the next HUGE problem is with smart phones that do not have tight control over the applications that run on their systems :

Here's one story :

http://matadorsmoneymatters.com/new...banking-information-detected-on-droid-phones/

and another one :

http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/201...-latest-sign-android-attacks-are-on-the-rise/

Great, that's the LAST thing I need is to worry about my phone getting malware. There's a reason for all that control. It stops stuff like this nonsense by a bunch of no good punks that deserve to be locked up and hung upside down for the rest of their life.