• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple, what a fad....

Todd-sta

I see a lot of posts from people from the Mac only crowd bashing the PC's, and the PC only crowd bashing the Mac.

I own both; A Macbook Pro 17" (laptop) and a custom built i7 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit desktop. I use Illustrator and Photoshop every minute of every day (sometimes coreldraw).

Other than the fact that the Macbook has arguably the best built case in the industry, I MUCH prefer Windows 7 and wouldn't waste my money again on a Mac.

My Windows 7 machine literally runs 24/7.... and I have never had a problem with viruses... or crashes after I got all the initial drivers squared away.

Windows 7 is solid, user friendly, and is a PURE JOY to work with...

To me, I kinda chuckle when I hear about how superior the mac is.... mine crashed out their own proprietary iBook program 10+ times within a few hours of use.

Windows or OSX? They're just a tool. Use what you feel comfortable with. If it makes you feel like you've got something high end by paying twice the price... go for it.

If your creative skills suck; debating over a Mac or PC isn't going to help you... you'd be better off investing in a night course on the finer points of selling french fries. hehe.

David Wright

I'm such a geek... or sucker... or whatever you want to call me!
I sold two "old" iPads today. Put them up on Kijiji at 8:15 this morning and they were sold by 8:30!! Sold two 64GB Wifi/3G models for $500 each. I will be buying two 64GB Wifi only iPad2 when on the day they are released! :Big Laugh

I figure I won't need the 3G on them as once iOS 4.3 comes out for our iPhone 4's, we will be able to use the new "Personal Hot Spot" feature to connect the iPad to Wifi via the iPhone 4 and our 6GB data plans! Why pay more when we have it at hand!

Oh, and the iPad2 is a Mac product, although you all knew that! :rolleyes:

Wow.

Todd-sta

Oh... I should have mentioned: My Macbook Pro 17 (and my buddies for that matter too) needed a little tweak when I first got it. Like I said, nice aluminum case... but when you sat it on the desk, it rocked back and forth - wasn't 'square' . I suppose I could have put an old gum wrapper under one end like a rickety table at a small town restaurant... but I adjusted it in a way that was far more deserving of an Apple product: I put it over my knee and bent the hell out of it till it sat squarely on the table.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I own both; A Macbook Pro 17" (laptop) and a custom built i7 Windows 7 Pro 64 bit desktop. I use Illustrator and Photoshop every minute of every day (sometimes coreldraw).

So you swing both ways OS-wise?
Nice, I hear that is becoming legal in more and more states these days.

wayne k
guam usa

FrankenSigns.biz

oh... I should have mentioned: My macbook pro 17 (and my buddies for that matter too) needed a little tweak when i first got it. Like i said, nice aluminum case... But when you sat it on the desk, it rocked back and forth - wasn't 'square' . I suppose i could have put an old gum wrapper under one end like a rickety table at a small town restaurant... But i adjusted it in a way that was far more deserving of an apple product: I put it over my knee and bent the hell out of it till it sat squarely on the table.

You lie!

Joe Diaz

Nope, my friend had a warped macbook too. I've heard that is kind of common. but in macs defense, I bet that happens to all kinds of laptops. When they start doing heavy processing and warm up I can imagine that plays mischief with the expanding and contracting properties of all the different materials that make up a laptop, similar to how different materials used in making signs interact with each other when it is super hot or cold out. Just a thought.

buttons

I'm such a geek... or sucker... or whatever you want to call me!
I sold two "old" iPads today. Put them up on Kijiji at 8:15 this morning and they were sold by 8:30!! Sold two 64GB Wifi/3G models for $500 each. I will be buying two 64GB Wifi only iPad2 when on the day they are released! :Big Laugh

I figure I won't need the 3G on them as once iOS 4.3 comes out for our iPhone 4's, we will be able to use the new "Personal Hot Spot" feature to connect the iPad to Wifi via the iPhone 4 and our 6GB data plans! Why pay more when we have it at hand!

Oh, and the iPad2 is a Mac product, although you all knew that! :rolleyes:

So why the need for the ipad2? what options on it (other than the fancy new case) do you REALLY need?

Not trying to start a debate... just curious to why you feel you need to upgrade.

WildWestDesigns

In any mass production there is a chance that bad ones slip through. My dad had to replace one iTouch in less then a year because of the screen. He then went with the iPod classic(which for him is sufficient, he just likes gadgets). Although, he was the same one that hated the iMac that he got.

His experience for sure might not be the status quo and I don't think he was saying that it was, but funky issues do happen. I wouldn't be so quick to call someone a liar over it. Surely one issue won't break Apple's God-like status.

CES020

sorry, but I had to inject a little reality into the mix here. :Oops:

I did too, by showing the iMac is $50 more than a Dell, yet you, and others, keep saying they are grossly overpriced. I don't consider $50 on a $1200 item "grossly" overpriced.

WildWestDesigns

I did too, by showing the iMac is $50 more than a Dell, yet you, and others, keep saying they are grossly overpriced. I don't consider $50 on a $1200 item "grossly" overpriced.

You have to consider that on an individual basis. I paid 1500 for my custom built PC. To get a almost the same specs(I can't match my video card with MAC) would cost 3799.

Those savings more then paid for my 21UX and still have a couple of hundred left over. I can get my other two monitors for less then one monitor from MAC, that still puts me around 1800 ahead of MAC for my entire system compared to building the MAC to almost same specs and getting two of the MAC monitors. I spent 400 for both of my other monitors since I got them when they were on clearance. Take the 200 left over after I get the 21UX with my savings from building a PC, that leaves 200 for the other monitor. That's a savings of 800 for getting two monitors versus one MAC monitor. Add another MAC monitor to the mix, that's an additional 1000 in savings. Total of 1800.

Now in your scenerio, I wouldn't consider $50 bucks a big deal at this level, however, I do consider 1800 a savings and I would still be lacking one monitor from the MAC system.

signmeup

You seem strangely devoted... to a computer you don't even own.

Joe Diaz

Which dell? You are comparing apples and oranges, I'm assuming you are comparing the lowest configured iMac with the with a higher priced all-in-one Dell. The $1150 all-in-one Dell also has twice as much ram (8GB compared to 4GB) a larger touchscreen display (which is probably the main reason for the higher price), a much faster graphics card. (1GB graphics compared to the 256MB graphics) twice as much hard drive space(1TB compared to 500GB), and a slightly slower processor. Seems as though that dell is quite a bit more computer, so one could argue that the Mac is "grossly" overpriced.

An $800 all-in-one HP with an identical processor same size display, has 2GB more ram, twice as much harddrive space and a faster graphics card. all for $400 dollars less.

And that is just all-in-ones. Since the iMac you are talking about is the lowest cost non mobile Apple computer, if you had the same funds to spend on any non mobile PC you would have a much wider range of results, to some that may have less to offer to the many that are a much better bang for your buck, configuration speaking. The price debate is one Mac users should try to avoid if they are wanting to "convert" the masses. Apple and it's users have a better chance of convincing us that their products are "magical'

Last edited:

Tim Aucoin

Y'all don't have unlimited data plans?
Yeah, can you believe it? Sucks to be in Canada sometimes... thanks Rogers! :banghead: And that 6GB plan I currently have is not available any longer. It was a promo deal ($30/month for 6GB) when the iPhone 4 was first released. As long as I don't cancel the plan, I can continue getting it as long as I choose. Now, on the new plans, it costs $30 for only 1GB of data. I must say thought that it's not easy to rack up 6GB of data usage!

So why the need for the ipad2? what options on it (other than the fancy new case) do you REALLY need?

Not trying to start a debate... just curious to why you feel you need to upgrade.

Not to worry... I don't mind a little debate now and again! The iPad2 has a few major additions, most notably the camera on front and back. Then there's the new A5 processor offering double the processor speed and the graphics are said to be 9x faster! I also love the new design. And that new cover design is mega cool! The way they've built in the magnets to auto align the cover every time is the bomb! (I can't believe I just said that!! :covereyes:).

But mainly I'm upgrading because I can! I know when it comes time to retire I'll regret some of my life's decisions, but I have always chose to have the latest and greatest gadget stuff (well within reason)! :tongue:

CES020

I don't know what an "all in one" computer is. I went to the iMac page, looked at the processor, the memory, the hard drive, the video and the monitor, build in.

I went to Dell, the basic $350 models don't offer many of those features. I had to keep going up in models to get one that I could configure to being close. When I did, it was as close as I could get, matching feature for feature. It's not as if I went and spec'd out the most expensive thing I could do.

I am typing from a Dell, so I thought I'd compare it. However, Dell has changed a lot since I bought this one. They seem to have a lot of very low end PC's out there on their website.

So it was as close to comparison as I could get.

WildWest, go to Dell, configure what you bought, and price it through Dell's site. Report back what the cost was. My guess is it'll be 2 times more than you paid. So in that case, we'll go for the "Apple and Dell are both grossly overpriced".

I've built many computers from scratch. I'm past that point in my life. These days, I want to buy something, plug it in and have it work. If it's broken, I want to pick the phone up and call someone.

Signmeup, I'm not devoted, I'm just trying to understand the logic, which no one yet has explained. So I'll ask for the 3rd time and hopefully get an answer......

How's an Apple computer any different than the $160 pair of Oakley's sitting on your head?

GypsyGraphics

How's an Apple computer any different than the $160 pair of Oakley's sitting on your head?

ooo, ooo, i think i know the answer to this one.... is it....
an Apple computer on your head kinda hurts and a pair of Oakely's doesn't?

never mind... i just put my MacBook Air on my head and it didn't hurt a bit.

Joe Diaz

I don't know what an "all in one" computer is. I went to the iMac page, looked at the processor, the memory, the hard drive, the video and the monitor, build in.

I went to Dell, the basic $350 models don't offer many of those features. I had to keep going up in models to get one that I could configure to being close. When I did, it was as close as I could get, matching feature for feature. It's not as if I went and spec'd out the most expensive thing I could do.

I am typing from a Dell, so I thought I'd compare it. However, Dell has changed a lot since I bought this one. They seem to have a lot of very low end PC's out there on their website.

So it was as close to comparison as I could get.

WildWest, go to Dell, configure what you bought, and price it through Dell's site. Report back what the cost was. My guess is it'll be 2 times more than you paid. So in that case, we'll go for the "Apple and Dell are both grossly overpriced".

I've built many computers from scratch. I'm past that point in my life. These days, I want to buy something, plug it in and have it work. If it's broken, I want to pick the phone up and call someone.

Signmeup, I'm not devoted, I'm just trying to understand the logic, which no one yet has explained. So I'll ask for the 3rd time and hopefully get an answer......

All-in-one is when the computer (CPU, memory, hard drive, CD/DVD/RW, etc...) is contained within the monitor. The iMac is an All-in-one, the Mac Pro is a desktop.

But here is the thing you aren't closely comparing. As I pointed out, in my earlier post, If you were to spend $50 less on todays Dell all-in-one you would get more ram, more harddrive space, faster graphics and a larger touch screen compared to todays iMac.

All-in-ones tend to cost more in the PC world. SO.... keeping that $1200 iMac in mind, If having everything contained with in monitor isn't important to you, You can get a Dell inspiron with a 3.2Ghz Core i3 processor (the iMac has a 3.06 Core i3), a 21.5 inch monitor (compared to the iMac 21.5 inch display), 6GB memory (iMac has only 4GB), 1TB of hard drive space (the iMac has only 500 GB), and a 2 year service plan (apples $1200 iMac doesn't include it's Apple Care Protection plan(3 years), that would be an addition $170)

That Dell Inpiron come in at..... $775. So again, more computer (plus a protection plan) for less money. And that is just dell, their are thousands of PC companies out there that range in price and you can always build your own. Apple won't ever be able to compete based on price.