• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple, what a fad....

WildWestDesigns

Exactly. I have noticed members on here showing off their expensive cars, boats, motorcycles, 2nd and 3rd cars, trucks, you name it and then in another thread they complain that the price of a mac is too expensive.

Why would I pay 2500, what the MAC that is the closest to mine is, when I can get one that that's a thousand less? I can't speak to everyone, but it's about being efficient. If Apple was the end all be all, then yes I would spring for it. I have no problem with that. Hell my video card alone cost more then what some people quote their entire computers having cost.

My Specs:

Quad Core
2 1TB hard-drives
12GB of RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB GDDR5

Apple's:

Quad Core
1 TB Hard Drive
3GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5

iSign

Adrian, not the best analogy by a long shot, but if I made a mold of your dragon sign, I could sell a cheaper copy. My foolish customers would save money & think they had the same thing as your customer... with a nice paint job & a properly spelled name, it actually might function sufficiently, and in some cases identically... but it would never be equal, because it was designed and build to be cheaper, from the onset... not designed to be original, durable, and innovative.

(I've owned over 2 dozen pc's and still own 7 pc's and they serve me well... and I drive a Chevy, which serves me well... I owned a mac one, but I've used several and IN MY OPINION, they are clearly designed to be original, durable, and innovative... like German vehicles perhaps... but while I don't NEED anything better then I have... I have no problem recognizing some aspects of superiority that I believe do exist)

(and I'm quite sure I can piss farther then any specs anyone cares to cite... so I will ignore those drawn to spec boasting & cling steadfastly to my pissing prowess without need to prove it)

2972renfro

Wild west... quit looking at the price for the computer alone. What does a (fill in any expensive car) do better than a (fill in any regular priced car) can?

Or camera, or stove, or hammer, or pair of shoes

Joe Diaz

I want to create a TV show similar to the Deadliest Warriors show on Spike. http://www.spike.com/shows/deadliest-warrior

...where fan boys from either side can pit their computers against each other. Create a scrap book of your Furby collection.... who will be victorious? PC or Mac? Post a video of your cat on facebook.... who will win that battle? PC or Mac? Compose a song about your love for McRibs... who is going down? PC or Mac?

With the popularity of discussions just like this, I bet that show would be a ratings powerhouse... and the great thing is, because the argument will never die, you could do episode after episode and make some fat cash.

iSign

I want to create a TV show similar to the Deadliest Warriors show on Spike. http://www.spike.com/shows/deadliest-warrior

...where fan boys from either side can pit their computers against each other. Create a scrap book of your Furby collection.... who will be victorious? PC or Mac? Post a video of your cat on facebook.... who will win that battle? PC or Mac? Compose a song about your love for McRibs... who is going down? PC or Mac?

With the popularity of discussions just like this, I bet that show would be a ratings powerhouse... and the great thing is, because the argument will never die, you could do episode after episode and make some fat cash.

:goodpost: brilliant!!! (all mac and PC commercials too)

WildWestDesigns

Wild west... quit looking at the price for the computer alone. What does a (fill in any expensive car) do better than a (fill in any regular priced car) can?

Or camera, or stove, or hammer, or pair of shoes

I'm not just looking at just price alone. Look at the specs on my computer compared to a similar version that Apple offers. Unless I'm reading those specs wrong, I can do just a little bit more then that Apple can.

You are right, price alone isn't enough to damn something or not, but I wasn't just mentioning price, I also listed specs as well. Unless, like I said, I'm wrong about which specs are able to run more intensive "stuff".

As to your analogy, you are talking to someone whose father's SL600 blew a tranny with less then 10k on the odometer. My 6.0L PSD has been far more reliable then that car or his SC 430 that he got after that. We don't even want to go into the 2002 911 that he had. 430 and 911 have had a lot of electrical problems and my truck is supposed to have one of the worst wire chaffing issues out that at the time and I haven't had one problem with it.

WildWestDesigns

That would last forever.

weaselboogie

I've used both PC and Mac and both have their weaknesses and strengths, but the thing that I loathe about apple isn't the computer itself, but the the fanboy hipster mentality. It's a freakin' computer, not a way of life.

If you take offense to this... maybe you're one of them....

WildWestDesigns

(and I'm quite sure I can piss farther then any specs anyone cares to cite... so I will ignore those drawn to spec boasting & cling steadfastly to my pissing prowess without need to prove it)

I have no doubt. I'm learning iSign, it might take me awhile, I'm slow like that(just look at my avatar), but I eventually get there.

signmeup

Like I said, I would not recommend it to you. You missed the whole point of the video and links. Some people don't care what their car, house, shoes, sunglasses, phone, fridge, or for that matter computer and what it looks like or how it's made. You are a point A to point B kind of guy. Just as long as it gets the job done

I have no problem with that and am not complaining or trying to give you a hard time
I'm the guy who hand carves lettering with a box cutter.

Point a to point b sounds right. My computer is a tool... like a hammer. As long as the nail goes in I could care less what it looks like. I woudn't pay $300 for a hammer just cause it looked nice. Cars are a different story though. I'm a total car nut. I am doing a "last nut and bolt" resto on an MG right now. It's gonna be immaculate. Even places you can't see. But a computer? Meh. So you MAC guys are like that with your computers eh?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

OK, here is a question for you guys. Based on this concept... and straight from the factory... What software do you get preinstalled with Windows that lets you do something this creative?

On my "more expensive" Mac, I can compose a movie with imovie, produce music with Garageband and burn a professional looking DVD using iDVD. So do I win all of these contests easily? I am looking at an older version of XP on Parallels and not seeing how I can do the same using a PC without having to go out and buy software

Just saying:thumb:

phototec

This is just like the corel vs illustrator threads

Yep, that's because Illustrator is for true graphic professionals and Corel is for amature (wannabees), it's always the same argument that Corel is cheaper, easier to learn and use, has a shorter leaning curve, that's right, because it is NOT for professionals.

:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yep, that's because Illustrator is for true graphic professionals and Corel is for armatures (wannabees), it's always the same argument that Corel is cheaper, easier to learn and use, has a shorter leaning curve, that's right, because it is NOT for professionals.

No armatures are for electric motors :ROFLMAO:

CES020

Why would I pay 2500, what the MAC that is the closest to mine is, when I can get one that that's a thousand less? I can't speak to everyone, but it's about being efficient.

Why would you buy any car that did anything other than get you to work? You can pay $13,000 for a new low end car. So why do people buy cars that cost $20K or $30K or $60K? I mean they all get you to the same place on the same road burning the same gas.

Why would you buy a pair of Oakley sunglasses instead of a pair from the drugstore for $9.00? They both keep the sun out of your eyes.

Why would you eat at Outback rather than McDonalds? They both satisfy the same need, to eat and get full.

You make those choices every day yourself, but when someone else makes the same choices you make, being on a different product, they seem to be "overpaying".

westpointsigns

I bought a 27" mac last summer and LOVE IT, even though all my software is running in Windows on it. I also have an iPod Touch and it is awesome too.
BUT......
DO NOT even try to take my DROID X away. IMO better that the iPhone.

signmeup

Yep, that's because Illustrator is for true graphic professionals and Corel is for amature (wannabees), it's always the same argument that Corel is cheaper, easier to learn and use, has a shorter leaning curve, that's right, because it is NOT for professionals.

Hey! Start your own thread! (armature :rolleyes:)

signmeup

OK, here is a question for you guys. Based on this concept... and straight from the factory... What software do you get preinstalled with Windows that lets you do something this creative?

On my "more expensive" Mac, I can compose a movie with imovie, produce music with Garageband and burn a professional looking DVD using iDVD. So do I win all of these contests easily? I am looking at an older version of XP on Parallels and not seeing how I can do the same using a PC without having to go out and buy software

Just saying:thumb:
I had $2200 left over to buy software for making $hitty home movies and bad garage band dvds. :Big Laugh

Again I don't care MAC or PC. If someone gave me a MAC I'd be thrilled. (Same with a PC though) You just can't get a MAC here. You could a few years ago but that guy closed up. Maybe he works out of his basement now. I don't know.

wes70

Oh No You Didn't!

David Wright

Why would you buy any car that did anything other than get you to work? You can pay $13,000 for a new low end car. So why do people buy cars that cost $20K or $30K or $60K? I mean they all get you to the same place on the same road burning the same gas.

Why would you buy a pair of Oakley sunglasses instead of a pair from the drugstore for $9.00? They both keep the sun out of your eyes.

Why would you eat at Outback rather than McDonalds? They both satisfy the same need, to eat and get full.

You make those choices every day yourself, but when someone else makes the same choices you make, being on a different product, they seem to be "overpaying".

Don't get me going on cars. The money people waste for what is just transportation is truly ridiculous. Of course mass advertising has turned what were once free minds to slaves of the market. You really believe you want it and can't recognize the manipulations that go on through your whole life.

Apple just kicked it up a notch. Telling someone they are under the influence will only bring stronger rebuttals and attacks. (There are none so enslaved then those that believe they are free).

Joe Diaz

Spoken like a true professional. Here I always thought it was the mind that makes the craftsman great, not their choice of tools. But what do I know, according to you, I'm just an "amature" "wannabee".:wink: