• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple, what a fad....

Flame

Justin Bieber sells a lot of music, I still think he's a F*G.

They hold a captive audience and I do applaud them for that. That said, I never have owned, and have no intention of owning a Apple product. I believe you can obtain the same quality of product for far less money, elsewhere. But to each their own. :)

FrankenSigns.biz

I'm sorry, but those $600 Dell computers wouldn't last 3 months at the hands of those students.

I contend that Macs are better-built and would last 3-4 times as long. You do the math.

Sticky Signs

Huh? What connections? The only thing they just added is thunderbolt but I don't know of any peripherals to connect it to yet. The rest are the same that they've had for a while now

They changed the firewire connection to the smaller version and the dvi output is now a mini dvi which also happens to be the thunderbolt connection. That means that if I ever want to run thunderbolt I have to unplug my external monitor. This is my first macbook pro, my other is just a mac book. Maybe the other MBP's where like this but I don't know. Either way, still cost me extra dough.

signmeup

My daughter is a big Hello Kitty fan. In most places an $8 usb drive is $8. If Sanrio stick a Hello Kitty sticker on it, it's a $38 usb drive.

WildWestDesigns

Well, if it was 10 months old it was still under the free warranty. What's your complaint? The same Dell warranty will cost you.

It's a hassle to deal with at times. And for that price, the odds should be in favor of it lasting longer. Now it's still man made, so there are going to be trouble ones out there, but you buy an expensive computer to lower those odds.

I'm thinking it's more of a feeling of exclusivity then anything else. They are good computers, but not at that price. But that's me, we are going to be spinning our wheels(or hard drives in this case) until we are all dead and our families are broke from having to deal with our carcass and still not get anywhere.

showcase 66

I have been doing work for a company that has been a certified retailer for Apple for many many years. From what they have been telling me. Jobs is starting to do the same thing he did when apple declined in the 90's. Doubt it will happen to that capacity but if history repeats its self, it could be interesting in the next few years.

jmcnicoll

Have been using macs for 20 years now and still think they are a far better machine than the standard PC. That said PCs have there place as well and they do a fine job for what they do. Still believe macs are better, more stable, easier to use and a better product.

jim

CES020

I believe you can obtain the same quality of product for far less money, elsewhere. But to each their own. :)

When your customers say that in the future, I don't want to hear any complaining about pricing!

Maybe it's not that they are expensive, maybe PC's are the low baller in the market. Maybe PC's are the VistaPrint of the computer industry :Big Laugh

WildWestDesigns

Maybe it's not that they are expensive, maybe PC's are the low baller in the market. Maybe PC's are the VistaPrint of the computer industry :Big Laugh

I wouldn't say vistaprint being the same quality though. I actually had one client refer me to someone that they knew over vistaprint. My client had quality control issues with vistaprint.

PCs are also a generic term as well. Not all PCs are going to be lowballers. You have your netbooks for that, although I do have one netbook that I use for traveling and vehicle diagnostics and it's going on 4 yrs now. Best $500 I spent for what it does.

WildWestDesigns

Part of the price difference is volume. The other part is called "marketing".

That's right. The feeling of exclusivity. Doesn't really mean that you are getting a better product, but perhaps the "perception" of a better product. Thus the higher charge as well.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
These mac vs pc discussions happen weekly and go nowhere. Everyone just be happy with what you have. It is not worth it convincing a hard core person which is better. The easier ones to convince are your friends, family and neighbors that don't know better either way

signmeup

The other major difference is that Apple doesn't allow "clones". This keeps independant computer manufacures (Compaq, Dell, HP...) from making Macs and having price wars, thus keeping the price and quality up on Apple's products.

Last edited:

signmeup

These mac vs pc discussions happen weekly and go nowhere. Everyone just be happy with what you have. It is not worth it convincing a hard core person which is better. The easier ones to convince are your friends, family and neighbors that don't know better either way
I don't think discussing this is going nowhere. If you have no interest... don't read the thread.

If you are interested, Wiki "Apple clone". I found it a very interesting read.

Apple has total control of the hardware that it runs it's operating system on. Microsoft does not. This may explain the reputation of Apple computers being "bug free". It also explains why Apples tend to be more expensive than PC's. (see post 38)

WildWestDesigns

These mac vs pc discussions happen weekly and go nowhere. Everyone just be happy with what you have. It is not worth it convincing a hard core person which is better.

Still can be somewhat of a fun discussion if done respectively. Kinda like the diesel versus gasser truck threads in another forum I'm a apart of. They happen about once a week or every other week.

The easier ones to convince are your friends, family and neighbors that don't know better either way

The power of knowledge.