• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying window perf

MGraphics

Hello all,

one quick question... applying window perf wet or dry? on a back window with no lam :smile:

Thanks

SebastienL

I'm not an installer... but I'd say dry.

If it's on a back window of a car or truck, it MUST be laminated, at least in Ontario and Quebec.

d fleming

W/no lam we go wet. One person either side of vehicle, drown it and freehand place it.100's of apps, not one failure. Using rapid tac II

BLC411

Perf

Dry. No reason to apply wet and the manufacturers of the window perf film will not recommend applying wet. Window perf is easily installed Dry, especially without laminate. Just my two cents.

J

john1

I have never done perf wet but it's REALLY easy to install without bubbles dry so i would do dry like i been doing. I would just add lam onto it, i mean it's not much more expensive and will look and hold up better. The holes will fill up with dirt and look terrible if it's not laminated.

TedNes

+1 We always laminate and apply dry

More important than wet or dry -----I say dry by the way----- could be 'What's on the glass?'...

If the vehicle is factory new, you may have a problem. Also, is the customer a 'Rain-X' user----that stuff will cause no end of headaches when it comes to adhesion....

If the vehicle is brand new, or Rain-X/a rain dispersant has been used, you will need to clean the glass many many times with degreasers and alcohol based products before you want to apply....

Oh, apply DRY....has that been mentioned??

petepaz

dry and i just did one with out lam by customer request. i did it with lam and he said he couldn't see out the back so he pulled the lam off leaving adhesive on the print and all the dirt stuck to it then when he tried to clean it off came the ink. he paid for the re-do but he claims he can see better with out the lam...?

ucmj22

dry and i just did one with out lam by customer request. i did it with lam and he said he couldn't see out the back so he pulled the lam off leaving adhesive on the print and all the dirt stuck to it then when he tried to clean it off came the ink. he paid for the re-do but he claims he can see better with out the lam...?

do you use optically clear lam?

ABPGraphics

I spent my money on clear lam and it just did not work for me - on the outside it got this shine to it that would not go away and it did not show thru optically clear at all

petepaz

i used the correct, optically clear lam. after i did the job i poked my head in the window and looked out, looked ok to me. customer wears glasses so i don't know?. didn't cost me anything to do it over again so if that's what he wants so be it.

ucmj22

i used the correct, optically clear lam. after i did the job i poked my head in the window and looked out, looked ok to me. customer wears glasses so i don't know?. didn't cost me anything to do it over again so if that's what he wants so be it.

it will look great at first. I bet he'll hate it when the little holes fill up with road gunk.