• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are the Daige Quickmounts really that bad?

dirtwrap

I have a Daige 55" QM4, and I think it works like a Cadillac. I do think that there are many things about the machine that are somewhat "chinsy", but for the price, I couldn't have asked for anything better. However, I do think a lot of it is how you use it. My equipment rep didn't really know how to use it all that well, but it was a new machine for them, so maybe other people are having the same issue.

To load it, I first install the laminate roll on the back roller, then separate the laminate from the liner. I then tape the liner to the take up roll. Make sure you remove the belt (by just picking up the liner take-up tube) and put tension between the laminate roll and the take up tube. This ensures that the liner is square to the laminate. Then, I drape the exposed laminate over the top roller, just enough where a couple of inches are past the meeting point of the rollers. Here, I made a sled (two sizes, 54" and 30") out of polypropylene that is six inches long. I take the sled and stuff the laminate with it between the two rollers. The top roller is backed up 3 and a half turns on each side. I roll it ahead about 3 inches, then back the top roller off another turn, and gently push the sled further to take up any slack on either side. Now, I take the first print, and tape it to this sled. I run the roller ahead until it goes past the sled, and tighten down until I am a half turn from full-tight. Then, I just run them through. When I go from print to print, I just place the start of the new print underneath the tail of the print before it and carry on. I only use the sled once, when I first load the machine.
The drawback is that you have to use the same size laminate and media. Don't use the kraft paper deal, it doesn't work. The material thickness difference from side to side will just create slack on that side and wrinkle the print.
I do not get any silvering or bubbles, and I run on average 100-150 linear feet per day. The other day, I ran 57 consecutive feet of 30" laminate.
On a sidenote, I went to the Seal booth at the SGIA show, and looked at their laminators. The rep asked what I had, and I told him a Daige, and he laughed at me. So he showed me the machine, which, without question, is a higher quality product with more bells and whistles like variable speed, one control for roll vertical displacement, etc. So, I said that is great, but what I am interested in is can you load it for me, and run a print. It took two people over 20 minutes to try and run an eight foot print which they destroyed with the wrinkles. His response was, you have to waste about 8 foot of laminate to get it started, then it will work fine. He said you have to do that with your machine too. I said no I don't, I waste about 6 inches, and it takes me no more than 5 minutes to load and laminate.
I am sure there are other good machines out there, but for me, which I do everything by myself, I can honestly tell you that I would take my Daige over that Seal, even if both were the same price. Face it, a laminator is a laminator, it does one function. No matter which one you get, you have to learn how to use it, and I would almost guarantee that someone out there has mastered it (I am waiting for a Seal guy to tell me how good his works, which I am sure it does), so each machine has the capability of working properly. So unless it just laminates it all for you without you having to do anything, I just don't see the any big differences in them besides the bells and whistles.
Going off of invoices, I have laminated somewhere around 12-15,000 feet of laminate, with no issues, with my Daige. I am buying a second one (38"), just to save me the time of having to load and unload material all the time.
I hope this helps. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer what I can.

Jimmy Schiltz
Dirtwrap

os101king

You will be happy with the Daige IF you understand that it is a cheap, no frills machine. If you expect to run full rolls a day through it then forget about it, but if you are laminating the periodic print and are on a budget then it is not too bad.

Keep you expectations low and you will be amazed! ;-)

OR

Have high expectations and you will be let down and push it into the middle of the road hoping a semi comes by!

It's not bad but it is not great. It works well for us but I can see where it is not for everyone. There is a slight learning curve and the stand is marginal at best.

IMO - the 3 was made by jr highers and the 4 was made by high schoolers. I keep waiting for Daige to hire some college students! lol ;-)

Its funny, I read through this whole thread and never read a single word about Ledco. I have a Ledco 60" hot shoe. If you want a real laminator, check out the Ledco 02-01-2008 07:44 PM

Read "BUDGET" from above. I'm broke. Need a laminator. Can't spend more than $3, would like to spend less. Might run a full roll.... IN A MONTH. So cost is the real issue...

speedmedia

I don't have any type of laminator and sub mine out when needed but I am in the same boat. I fee like a lot of this equipment works only as good as you know hoe to use it. I thought my Mimaki was a piece of crap at first until I learned how to properly use it. That being said I think I will buy a Daige and give it a whirl. I like the fact I can just pay cash for it and be up and running vs. investing another $10,000 into a laminator. Worse comes to worse it doesn't work well and I can unload it on ebay.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

cartoad

We have a Diage 3, and after a year of struggles upgraded to a GBC Titan, it too had a learning curve. We ruined a small fortune in prints with the Diage, and after several calls with Ike, determined it was a bad top roller. They sent one out to us, and it worked ok after that as far as wrinkling the prints. We used a plexiglass sled which worked well for us, but it was very heavy and awkward. We now use the Diage as a work horse for mounting, vinyl and prints, works super for that.
The problem we had with silvering was due in large part to the lamination material we were using. We had a brand called Lamex and nothing but trouble with it, now we use Oracle or 3M and no silvering.
Have not seen or tried the new Diage so I cannot comment on it. My expeience with Ike was positive, he just wants to make sure that you are doing everything correctly before they spend $$ to throw parts at it.
Good luck.
Hal

wes13

We use a Daige quickmount III, it works fine for mounting small stuffs (car magnets) , not too well for doing big 4x8 signs, the motor kinda struggles under the weight doing 1/2 MDO, we already had to replace the motor and gearbox once.
The thing is a work horse I beat that thing up!. We lost some of the parts to do lamination from the roll, so we gave up on that.
Its ok for the cost, its just not a very serious laminator.

os101king

We use a Daige quickmount III, it works fine for mounting small stuffs (car magnets) , not too well for doing big 4x8 signs, the motor kinda struggles under the weight doing 1/2 MDO, we already had to replace the motor and gearbox once.
The thing is a work horse I beat that thing up!. We lost some of the parts to do lamination from the roll, so we gave up on that.

Running MDO isn't an issue (haven't touched the stuff in years!!) or mounting to boards much at all for that matter. It's the lamination that I need done.. looks like I'll be picking up one this week. Wish me luck. I'll keep posting as I run into and hopefully over the gremlins involved here...

os101king

ACK!! Another credit card maxxed.... bought the Daige 55 and a roll of cast Avery laminate at 48". Here's to hoping I don't waste more than half that roll learning. With all the advice you guys have offered, I should be on the right track. Praises due, much love Signs101.

maxxgraphix

Toss the sled out. You don't need it.

First oil the tension screws. They get tight and you'll need fine adjustments.
Mount a piece of metal conduit directly behind the top pinch roller so that your laminate feeds under it. This makes the lam roll wrap around more and helps keep it straight.

Open the rollers all the way and feed the laminate under your conduit bar and around the top roller then between the top and bottom pinch rollers.

Pull the laminate tight and tape it in the center to the back of the machine.

Holding a little tension on the roll of laminate (since it's taped) turn the screws down evenly until it pinches the laminate snug. Make sure the roller is even all the way across. Cut a piece of coro to make a measuring block for the screws. They should be even. Once you find the happy place, keep this block in a safe place.

Use your exacto knife to slice the paper backing off the laminate and lift it up. Don't cut through the laminate!

Shove your print in between the rollers against the laminate. I have a piece of conduit mounted to my table to hold a roll of prints at the end of my table right before the QM3.

Hit the foot peddle to start feeding in the print while lifting the paper backing. Once you have enough attach it to the take up roll.

If your tension is right, you can now laminate 40ft or more in one pass. I think I've done about 120ft before.

I've also added some tension adjusters to the lam roll. It helps keep it nice and straight.

The machine is a POS, but it will get the job done when you learn to use it.

maxxgraphix

Make a set of rollers to guide the board into and out of the mounter. The weight of the board makes it drag on the deck. Adding support will allow it to roll right through.

D3G

Laminator

os101,

How's the new Daige working? I am looking at buying one and you are my R&D lab!

os101king

set it up (and I have to tell you, expect a wad of tin foil as a stand and that's the ONLY way you won't be disappointed for $200!!!!) but still haven't run a thing thru it. I just dug up this thread and I'm going to run her for the first time tomorrow. Wish me luck, and I'll post all the info I can!

Graphics2u

set it up (and I have to tell you, expect a wad of tin foil as a stand and that's the ONLY way you won't be disappointed for $200!!!!) but still haven't run a thing thru it. I just dug up this thread and I'm going to run her for the first time tomorrow. Wish me luck, and I'll post all the info I can!

Don't give up too quickly. It takes a little patience but should work fine for you.

By the way silvering is caused by not enough pressure on cold laminates and the adhesive doesn't make complete contact with the print. Almost all cold laminators will have some amount of silvering, which will normally all go away after about 24hrs. I laminated with my Daige 38" for 2 years before upgrading, never used a sled, and no problems that I could actually blame on the machine. And all the Daige bottom rollers have a high spot, I was told that is just the way they are made. But what you need to be sure of is that the high spot runs straight down the roller, then it will be fine.

TheSnowman

How'd it go?

The Giraffe

Another Daige rookie....

Thanks to Jason at All Square and Ike at Daige. Great customer service!

I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and so far I am very pleased with my very reasonable investment.

I'm using 30" prints and 30" laminate so I had some initial tracking problems. They were caused by my inability to get the print feeding perpendicular to the rollers. I used a farming square and put two pencil lines 90* off of each edge of the laminate. They give me a really good reference for start and have run up to 6' through and been +/- 1/8" at the end.

Haven't tried any mounting yet. I'm a Big Squeegee user and it has yet to let me down. Thanks Dale.

Hey MaxxGraph,

Any chance you could post a couple of pics of your metal conduit add-on? I'd like to see what you have going on there.

Thanks,

Jeff

gabagoo

somebody better straighten me out here.... What exactly is the difference between a laminator and a mounter? I thought they were one and the same?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
somebody better straighten me out here.... What exactly is the difference between a laminator and a mounter? I thought they were one and the same?
They are pretty much the same process. "Laminate" is is mostly used for putting clear vinyl over a print. "Mounting" is used for applying the print to the substrate. At least this is the way I look at it.

os101king

Thanks to Jason at All Square and Ike at Daige. Great customer service!

I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and so far I am very pleased with my very reasonable investment.

I'm using 30" prints and 30" laminate so I had some initial tracking problems. They were caused by my inability to get the print feeding perpendicular to the rollers. I used a farming square and put two pencil lines 90* off of each edge of the laminate. They give me a really good reference for start and have run up to 6' through and been +/- 1/8" at the end.

Haven't tried any mounting yet. I'm a Big Squeegee user and it has yet to let me down. Thanks Dale.

Hey MaxxGraph,

Any chance you could post a couple of pics of your metal conduit add-on? I'd like to see what you have going on there.

Thanks,

Jeff

YAY!!!!

Ran it for the first time. Apart from an odd right-hand-twist sort of pattern showing up after about 4 feet (that didn't transfer to the vinyl, just showed between the rollers). It came out GREAT. For the price, and even not just for the price. The only suggestion I would make to them would be to re-engineer the stand. That is really a disappointment compared to the stands on my Graphtec and Mutoh. I know they're huge companies, but a stand shouldn't be a tough piece to design.

Other than that, if you're a one-man operation (or 2 or 3) then the Daige would probably be the best investment you could possibly make. Also, with the larger machine's penchant for wasting footage each startup, I would say every large shop should have one for in-between work. I can leave this thing threaded and ready-to-go. I love it.

The Giraffe

Congratulations!

I didn't get the stand and now I'm glad. The 38" rests comfortably on one end of my shop table and does fine. Being in a smaller shop it's kind of nice that it's portable. I can pick it up and put it on my bottom shelf out of the way when not in use.

gabagoo

yea thanks Dale, but my so called laminator is called a jet mounter.... Hmmmm could this be a reason that laminating is such an issue for us?