• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are the Daige Quickmounts really that bad?

os101king

YAY!!!!

Ran it for the first time. Apart from an odd right-hand-twist sort of pattern showing up after about 4 feet (that didn't transfer to the vinyl, just showed between the rollers). It came out GREAT. For the price, and even not just for the price. The only suggestion I would make to them would be to re-engineer the stand. That is really a disappointment compared to the stands on my Graphtec and Mutoh. I know they're huge companies, but a stand shouldn't be a tough piece to design.

Other than that, if you're a one-man operation (or 2 or 3) then the Daige would probably be the best investment you could possibly make. Also, with the larger machine's penchant for wasting footage each startup, I would say every large shop should have one for in-between work. I can leave this thing threaded and ready-to-go. I love it.

Beginner's luck, that's all I'm going to say. In the middle of a 3 hour FIT trying to understand why the take-up reel drive (rubber band) just slips over it's pulley and screws my job. I'm going over the diy instructional video and nothing's covered there.... you had better have an OVERFLOWING cup of patience. If you're a patient person, it's a great machine. But I agree with some of the other posts, not really sure it IS worth the money. It's like a college student vs. a professional. Plenty of shortcuts that probably saved Daige money, but don't translate well into the real world. Wish me luck, or somebody's gonna walk out of my shop with this thing lodged in their A@#.

The Giraffe

Beginner's luck, that's all I'm going to say. In the middle of a 3 hour FIT trying to understand why the take-up reel drive (rubber band) just slips over it's pulley and screws my job. I'm going over the diy instructional video and nothing's covered there.... you had better have an OVERFLOWING cup of patience. If you're a patient person, it's a great machine. But I agree with some of the other posts, not really sure it IS worth the money. It's like a college student vs. a professional. Plenty of shortcuts that probably saved Daige money, but don't translate well into the real world. Wish me luck, or somebody's gonna walk out of my shop with this thing lodged in their A@#.

The belt is coming off the pulley??

os101king

No they slip like a mother f er....

you got it. seriously, great idea here... but it's like Vista. shouldn't have been in production until they actually got it working 100%, you know? you don't spend $3 g's on something that you have to baby like this to make it work. So how exactly are you supposed to get the roller to not slip? also there's a nice big wave in the bottom roller that seemed to show up when I adjusted the pressure to the video's specs.

Last edited:

graphixtogo

PMG - are the white bushings at the ends of the take-up shaft still in good condition (smooth, not rough or gouged)? What about the grooves that the bushings sit in? If you see or feel any burs, smooth them out.

If that's not it, have you tried cleaning the 2 take-up pulleys and the clear rubber drive belt? If you used silicone spray or WD-40 on the outfeed table and some got on the belt/pulleys, that would play havoc with the feeding.

Also make sure the belt has a decent amount of tension on it and hasn't been stretched too much.

I just went back and looked at mine and that's all that came to mind. Otherwise, I guess a call to Daige is the next step.

Good luck!
gtg

high impact

Ike at Daige will take care of anything that has gone bad...he just sent me another belt. Patience is a virtue. lol

I'm running reverse wound lam also, put a figure 8 in the belt. Works great until the roll is almost empty - then it starts lifting the bar, Daige has a repair kit for this problem.

PMG

PMG - are the white bushings at the ends of the take-up shaft still in good condition (smooth, not rough or gouged)? What about the grooves that the bushings sit in? If you see or feel any burs, smooth them out.

If that's not it, have you tried cleaning the 2 take-up pulleys and the clear rubber drive belt? If you used silicone spray or WD-40 on the outfeed table and some got on the belt/pulleys, that would play havoc with the feeding.

Also make sure the belt has a decent amount of tension on it and hasn't been stretched too much.

I just went back and looked at mine and that's all that came to mind. Otherwise, I guess a call to Daige is the next step.

Good luck!
gtg
The only thing they say is you need a new belt,,ive been threw 3 belts in less than a year.,,even doing a figure 8 setup on it the belt will slip. Im about to find some sprockets and chain for it.

graphixtogo

...Im about to find some sprockets and chain for it.

unfortunately, that won't work. The rubber belt is design to slip to make up for the change in gear ratio that happens as the liner material builds up on the takeup shaft. Without the slip, the takeup would get in a bind.

I don't know if this would work and it may void your warranty, so check with Daige first, but what about trying some spray on belt dressing like you can get at an auto parts place? This add a little stickiness to the belt and pulleys. Might make a difference, but like I said, check with Daige first. I don't want to recommend something that Daige won't like!!!

jmcnicoll

I bought one of these about 4 years ago and called for a return the same day I got it. Within and hour of getting set up a gear or something broke on it. Not worth the money, not matter how cheap they are.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I have a big squeegee, a quickmount and a seal. In simple terms you get what you pay for.

I do a lot of mounting on large substrates and the seal is the only way to go. Most of my generic laminating is done on the daige. I have run it quite hard and it has held up fairly well. (better than it looked like it would). IMO just starting out the daige is worthwhile.

I use a piece of sintra as a sled and just crank it 3 turns down after it goes through. No problem.

jmcnicoll

The current model does look a little different, although it may just be casing on the ends that is different. When I bought it I got the 38" for less than $1,000. I didn't like the fact that it had screw down knobs for pressure on both sides and was just built very cheap. I ended up buying a 27" machine from http://www.danielsimaging.com/. Although smaller and more expensive it was a much better built machine and is still running today. I actually sold it the the business I work for and use it mostly for mounting as we have a 64" GBC in house. Jim

os101king

Good luck!
gtg

I tried cleaning and cleaning. Worked for a few SECONDS. I was thinking of trying some rubber bands attached to the friction surface of the pulley with some rubber cement, so as to add traction to the clear "belt" that's slipping. I don't mean just slipping a bit, I mean the thing just feeds back towards the media being laminated.... there's NO takeup at all. I think possibly the other issue I had that time was due to trying to manually take up the laminate's release paper.....

I had it for 2 weeks before i had the chance to try it. If I had spent the time the day I had gotten it and experienced all this I would DEFINITELY have returned it.

Sorry to anyone at Daige, but to require this amount of tweaking and support right out of the box.. what are you thinking? Seriously, you guys should still be in development with your product. This does not belong on the market. Still, I'm stuck with it. I'll make a go at the rubber band solution before I call... we'll see.

Yes, I've read all the "no problems here" posts and no offense, but you guys must have the patience of Saints. As for me, I think I had four strokes just today.... I can't stand machines that require this much attention.

I guess everyone was right. You get what you pay for. Caveat Emptor.

* I emailed Ike the problems... no time to call, I'm already screwed on the 3 jobs I needed laminated this week... *

PMG

Can you post or PM me his information,,i would like to send a nice letter my self!!!! And i know another shop as well that wants to send a letter!!!!

os101king

Ike called me in reference to my email. One thing I will say is that support is quick and easy to come by. Informed me of a compatibility issue between the tension (friction) of the take-up reel and the adhesion of Avery laminates' release paper. In other words, DONT BUY AVERY LAMINATE TO USE WITH A DAIGE. I'm outta luck (so far....) but I don't want anyone else to fall into this. I can see where excess adhesion between lam & release would cause a few of the problems I had (and at least three of the STROKES!!!) so I'm going to purchase some 3M or Oracal when I can afford it and try again. Who knows, this might be a totally different review with different laminate!

Let's hope so.