• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are veterans better or special?

Richard G

The Federal Government was mostly shut down because of Hurricane Sandy.
This group of federal employees still went to the office. God bless them!
Soldiers.jpg

OldPaint

being a viet nam era vet, meaning i SERVED in the military while the viet nam war was going on........and also SERVING because i HAD TO, not because i wanted to. BUT I AM BETTER OFF TODAY BECAUSE I DID!!!!!!! i enlisted aug 1965 and got an early discharge jan 1969. stayed out till 1972 and re-enlisted, because i was going do the 20 years. that got changed when my mom, had a heart attack i had to go home and get out of the military to help her out(only child). so i have 2 honorable discharges, not just 1.
i went to PENN STATE 76-78.....on the GI BILL. i have been in the VETERANS HEALTH CARE SYSTEM since 1969....I AM SERVICE CONNECTED. i got bladder cancer in 2004, 10 surgeries, numerous stays in VA HOSPITALS, as of sept this year i an 3 YEARS CANCER FREE.......THANK YOU VA MEDICAL!!!!! dec 2010, i hada heart attack at the VA CLINIC.... they put me in local hospital, open heart double by pass........ALL COVERED BY VA MEDICAL. i am still seeing VA DOCTORS... i prefer them over civilian doctors. as a VET..........AND LOOKING BACK.........SIGNING UP WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID!!!!
ANNNNNNND on top of all that.........I AM GOING TO GOLDEN CORAL TONITE FOR A FREE MEAL.........if you are a VETERAN!!!!!!

David Wright

If you don't serve you are a coward or selfish. Sure there are other reasons but 90% of the time this is the case. I admit to falling into both of these categories. Fighting for our rights is admirable and deserves recognition.
"Where is my day" for raising your family? Most shallow thing I have read today.

Well that pretty much slams almost everybody. Good thinking chief.

Billct2

Are veterans better or special?
I know a few that are, but msotly they are deserving of our respect and gratitude.

And as someone who sweated out the final Vietnam era draft lottery I have now come to believe that some type of compulsory national service would be a good thing.

OldPaint

why do you ask that??? because you HEAR.......VA HOSPITALS are less then what the civilian ones are??? IF SO.........you dont know jack!!!!
maybe I PREFER THE VA over civilian because of the GREAT SERVICE AND TIMELY MEDICAL TREATMENT I GET AND HAVE GOTTEN.
when was the last time you had a doctors appointment for 10 am and GOT TO SEE THE DOCTOR.........within 30 minutes from set appointment???
in the VA........you have a 10 am appointment, you are usually done and out the door at 10:30 am))))))))))
quality of care? all of my doctors and i are on 1st name basis!!!!!!!!! all of my medical needs are fulfilled to MY SATISFACTION... not the doctors.
when the CIVILIAN DOCTORS get their schit together as well as the VA HAS...........then maybe i would go to civilian doctors more.

David Wright

I know a few that are, but msotly they are deserving of our respect and gratitude.

And as someone who sweated out the final Vietnam era draft lottery I have now come to believe that some type of compulsory national service would be a good thing.

Oh, now you do?

Richard G

I have to agree with Old Paint here. I too am in the VA health care system last April I had 2 brain anurisums (not good at spelling ) I was taken to Jackson Memorial Hosptal in Miami and they saved my life. My doctor here always asks before I leave if they can do anything else for me. And they mean it. They are the best.

CanuckSigns

I know of quite a few people who have served in the military, and generally they come out of it a better person.

If there were a compulsory service, who would pay for it? It would cost quite a bit to house, feed, train and pay all these new soldiers, would they be entitled to free healthcare from the VA after their service?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I know of quite a few people who have served in the military, and generally they come out of it a better person.

If there were a compulsory service, who would pay for it? It would cost quite a bit to house, feed, train and pay all these new soldiers, would they be entitled to free healthcare from the VA after their service?

There's a huge difference between compulsory military service and compulsory national service. Literacy programs, public works, education aides, medical aides, care giving, etc. which could be selected before or after higher education and which could both help others, help the country and be related to one's career path.

Stealth Ryder

"entitled to free healthcare from the VA"

Unless the former military member has a service related injury and/or is 100% disabled they do not automatically get free healthacare from the VA. One or more gunshot wounds most always do not qualify an individual for free healthcare these days unless that individual can't physically work due to said service related injury. Most would be suprised how many vets pay thier own way in regards to healthcare...

CES020

I think some people think the military started with Bill Murray in Stripes in the 80's.

Let's not forget those that rushed the shores on D-Day. I think you'd be hard pressed to find people like that today. It's a shame, we sure could use a dose of character injected back into the USA. Less of the "Me Me Me" and more of the "What can I do to make my country better" would be a welcome change of pace from my standpoint. I don't care what you think, those people were HEROS.

Last edited:

Stealth Ryder

I think some people think the military started with Bill Murray in Stripes in the 80's.

Let's not forget those that rushed the shores on D-Day. I think you'd be hard pressed to find people like that today. It's a shame, we should could use a dose of character injected back into the USA. Less of the "Me Me Me" and more of the "What can I do to make my country better" would be a welcome change of pace from my standpoint. I don't care what you think, those people were HEROS.

I so much agree, very well said...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

Let's not forget those that rushed the shores on D-Day. I think you'd be hard pressed to find people like that today. It's a shame, we sure could use a dose of character injected back into the USA. Less of the "Me Me Me" and more of the "What can I do to make my country better" would be a welcome change of pace from my standpoint. I don't care what you think, those people were HEROS.

Absolutely.

My father flew a B-17 in WWII, was shot down and spent a year in Stalag Luft-III. He got to come home. Here's to all those who didn't come home. A damn shame, we could really use them now.

They were heroes, every one of them whether they came home or didn't get to make that trip. You should thank whatever gods there be that they were there and stepped up to the plate. And all of those who served in all of the other wars, conflicts, and unpleasantnesses. As well as all those currently serving. If you've never served you aren't fit to air their tires.

In case you might be wondering, yes, I was in the Air Force,1960-1964.