• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are you voting?

royster13

If there is no good choice, just spoil your ballot.....If there are enough spoiled ballots, maybe a "free agent" will run next time.....Might take a few elections but sooner or later the message gets sent....

HulkSmash

Did it Friday morning. I just love you people that don't vote, but *****, moan and whine about how wrong everything is. Pick the candidate closest to your ideology and work to get them elected. Try to do better next time. No candidate is the perfect one. It's called democracy. That means everybody gets some say and what we end up with is something in between. But the cynical "I can't make a difference" attitude is pathetic and sad. If you are content to let the rest of us that do vote choose your government for you, then shut up and accept what we do.

Did someone poop in your bacon this morning?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
We are being careful to not mention names or affiliation.
We are talking about the process and the right.

Right? No, you have no right to vote for president. None. The only two federal elections in which you have a right to vote are for your congressbeing and, since the idiotic 17th amendment, your two senators.

The constitution says, unequivocally, that the states shall elect a president by nominating electors, basically one for each congressional seat and one for each senatorial seat. Plus 3 for the District of Columbia. 538 of them. How the individual states do this is up to them. That all 50 states exercise their right by allowing the people to vote is pure happenstance. They could just as easily do so by playing paper, rock, and scissors or any other method they choose.

The only part of the popular vote addressed by the constitution says that if you do have a public election then you have to let everyone participate.

ThinkRight

Right? No, you have no right to vote for president. None. The only two federal elections in which you have a right to vote are for your congressbeing and, since the idiotic 17th amendment, your two senators.

The constitution says, unequivocally, that the states shall elect a president by nominating electors, basically one for each congressional seat and one for each senatorial seat. Plus 3 for the District of Columbia. 538 of them. How the individual states do this is up to them. That all 50 states exercise their right by allowing the people to vote is pure happenstance. They could just as easily do so by playing paper, rock, and scissors or any other method they choose.

The only part of the popular vote addressed by the constitution says that if you do have a public election then you have to let everyone participate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffrage

ThinkRight

United States
Main article: Voting rights in the United States
In the United States, suffrage is determined by the separate states, not federally (Wyoming being the first state to instill suffrage). However, the "right to vote" is expressly mentioned in five Amendments to the U.S. Constitution. These five Amendments limit the basis upon which the right to vote may be abridged or denied:

14th Amendment (1868): Regarding apportionment of Representatives.
15th Amendment (1870): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."
19th Amendment (1920): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."
23rd Amendment (1961): provides that residents of the District of Columbia can vote for the President and Vice-President.
24th Amendment (1964): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."
26th Amendment (1971): "The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

TheSnowman

I don't care if you vote or not (I voted early, and Mosh I'll tell you where you can shove your vote on Tuesday if you seem to think that everyone who does that is some sort of inferior person doing that) but you sure as heck better not whine about anything political if you didn't vote, rather you feel it matters or not.

If you don't vote, then you just deal with whatever you get, if you don't like it, I have no sympathy for you.

tsgstl

I find the entire process completely frustrating. If we could have some independent organization only list facts about each candidate instead of nonstop misleading or total fabrications it would make all of our decision making much easier. But no we get what we get funded by organizations with predetermined agendas. I am very thankful for our freedom and 2 party (for the most part) system. If things go bad we can vote them out next time around. I have never seen so much polarization and downright hate spewed in both directions. I think it is in large part due to the popularity of social media. I myself refuse to commit to any party, I base my decisions on my own beliefs and which direction I feel needs the most attention. I have never agreed with a individual or organization 100% and i doubt i ever will. You must vote, it is the one way every person in this great nation has to correct or continue what you believe in.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I will vote Tuesday, on my way into work regardless of it raining, sleeting or sunny. I can easily give up an hour or so of my time for this kinda stuff [technical term for old people].

I don't really care if it's a right, privilege or just some village way of pleasing the masses.... I will vote to the best of my ability and for those of you who have some other notion... so be it.

Like designers, artists, philosophers or scientists...... there's your idea, their idea and somewhere in the middle the truth...... and that's what we all march to.

:wavingflag:

.............. and for those voicing in this thread and beyond who served, in case I haven't already... thank you so very much for your service. :U Rock:​

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
United States
Main article: Voting rights in the United States
In the United States, suffrage is determined by the separate states, not federally (Wyoming being the first state to instill suffrage). However, the "right to vote" is expressly mentioned in five Amendments to the U.S. Constitution. These five Amendments limit the basis upon which the right to vote may be abridged or denied:

14th Amendment (1868): Regarding apportionment of Representatives.
15th Amendment (1870): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."
19th Amendment (1920): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."
23rd Amendment (1961): provides that residents of the District of Columbia can vote for the President and Vice-President.
24th Amendment (1964): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."
26th Amendment (1971): "The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Apparently reading for comprehension is not your long suit. None of those amendments cited nor anywhere else in the constitution are citizens granted the right to vote in any federal election save for congress and senate. All of your cites merely say that if a state conducts a popular vote for electors, or anything else for that matter, then it must let everyone vote. Nowhere does it say, or even imply, that any state must nominate its electors via popular vote.

As previously stated; you have no right to vote in a presidential election. None, nada, zip, zero.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We get just one day to vote(without some kind of note from our mom's) and I will do so tomorrow.

wayne k
guam usa

Pat Whatley

If we could have some independent organization only list facts about each candidate instead of nonstop misleading or total fabrications it would make all of our decision making much easier.

Of course it would be easier....we'd all vote "None of the above" if we knew the whole truth about ANY candidate.

ProWraps

ive yet to vote in my entire lifetime.

and consequently, i have yet to be offered a candidate that i would vote for, in my entire lifetime. so i guess it all works out in the end.

Stealth Ryder

I will vote on election day, I always have... I have no issues with voting early so long as you vote... If you don't vote then you have no voice when you are unhappy with the results... Our country is in bad shape, I would hate to think that more than 20 years of service was for nothing. Stand Up and voice your opinion about who should lead our country back to prosperity, Folks in other countries would love to have that right...