• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attitudes around here lately....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"I think everybody should go indulge in their vice of choice and come back next week in a happy sunshine kind of mood"

I hope not everyone listens to Pat.
Reading what you guys post here is my vice of choice.
Its 2:30 in the morning and I haven't had a chance to leave work yet.
Don't let me down, keep those high energy posts coming.....

wayne k
guam usa

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
For a while, my policy has been...

Ignore all the suckas...

And encourage all the.... people who are genuinely seeking to be better.

People come and go on this site, if anyone wants the eternal butt kiss, there is a perfect sign site for you, but I doubt you will learn much there. The site has an edge, it can get moody, once it passes (and it will) it's still the best "overall" sign site on the planet.

laserman70

For a while, my policy has been...

Ignore all the suckas...

And encourage all the.... people who are genuinely seeking to be better.

People come and go on this site, if anyone wants the eternal butt kiss, there is a perfect sign site for you, but I doubt you will learn much there. The site has an edge, it can get moody, once it passes (and it will) it's still the best "overall" sign site on the planet.

+1

I frequent several message boards per day. This is by far the most-informative, most-helpful and least-hateful one. Like it or not, you have to have a little bit of a thick skin to post on the internet these days. That's just the way it is and it isn't going to change.

It would really be nice if new members to the site would mostly lurk and use the search function and read, read, read for a few weeks (or more) before they begin posting full-time. I think that would cut down on 95% of the hateful posts.

I'm not going to name any names, but some members here bring it upon themselves. You can't bend the truth and tell outright lies and then expect to be treated with respect.

Maybe I already have my internet "thick skin" but I think the is one of (if not the) nicest sign boards out there. The other sites can be just downright mean.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doug..... WELL SAID. :clapping: It's 1,000% correct.

However, I think it goes beyond Addie. He's just like a mouse pissing in the ocean.... he don't do much around here, so I don't think anyone really cares about his destiny. He's made his bed and for the most part, people want to just see the arguing stop.

My interest lies a little deeper...... because of the Addies, Cappys and S&Fs around here.... many people form all kinds of story lines as to what's going on. Some are correct and some others are completely wrong, but that doesn't matter.... what really happens is.... people such as this can make otherwise close friends fight with each other and friendships can be tarnished. All but one person that I've PM'ed with, regular e-mail or phone calls... have all stated that these parasites must go. There are some that don't approve of the methods you or I choose, but they want it done, just the same. Doug, you're like me and will voice your opinion or thoughts on anything and take the flack when it comes. To that, we are being 'US'. Does that mean its right or the right way to go about it ?? I dunno, but it's been my method soon going on 60 years. Could we do better at delivering our sermons or lectures ?? Probably, but then that wouldn't be 'US'. You need all kinds to make the world go round and I might not fit the bill for ambassador to Iraq, but I have other strong points and I'll let you know exactly what's on mind. That's why they have go-betweens. :Big Laugh

Anyway, Addie is a lot of fun and he knows it. He's just not very spry and that's not being mean. I've told him that in PM's and he doesn't catch on. Should he be banned ?? I don't think so and I don't think we should let it up to the masses, that's not what this place is. It's not a Witch Hunt or burning at the stake, but I do believe everyone needs to know what certain individuals are up to. Perhaps we can have a 'Who's Who' section. Yeah, I can see what my description will say................. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, I believe we just need to put a lid on the Bullchit and find a way to work this stuff out among all of us.​

I know on many other forums... if anything close to what goes on here happens.... you're banned instantly. One forum.... if you type in F**k you're banned. Around here it is very free, so I would presume we have to be a free with our members and let the rotten eggs spoil some of the others in the barrel..... Wait, that's apples, but eggs smell worse. Ah fugget, you know what I mean.........

JAMESGANGRACING

We all must remember that we don't know it all. What is plain as day to to one person is not to the next, and what that person understands is not what the next does. That's why we come to a board like this for answers that the next guy understands and can help one out. Even professionals struggle at some things that others excel at, that's why a board like this in invaluable to all and we need to be polite and proud that we can answer some ones question or need. If a post can't be answered in a professional manner than it should go unanswered . I enjoy this forum but do also get tired of the rude remarks.

Pat Whatley

Pat, you're right, but that doesn't mean anyone is gonna listen to you, now that you've seen the light go off.
I kind of hope nobody listens to me about anything. Ever. Well about anything except women. I know all there is to know about women. Take my advice about women, ignore the rest.

WildWestDesigns

Maybe I already have my internet "thick skin" but I think the is one of (if not the) nicest sign boards out there. The other sites can be just downright mean.

I think some of it is a period of "hazing" as the older members are trying to figure out is this someone that is serious or just on here to start something.

It's the same in every forum or even in subcultures that meet in person. Trying to figure out is the newbie worth accepting into the group. I'm apart of a couple of high performance diesel truck forums as well that I'm much more "seasoned" in(don't worry I'm not someone that came from putting Calvin stickers on trucks, I actually can't stand those stickers at all) and I've even done the same thing. Especially since I deal with 6.0L PSDs specifically and there are a lot of misperception of that engine and people have to be really vigilant on the info that is spread on there, not much different then here.

I honestly learn by debate and having my opinions challanged while challanging the opinions of others. I don't think name calling on either side accomplishes anything other then might make you feel better for the time.

I try to learn from this site as much as I can, I've tried to help other members as best that I can in whatever capacity that I can. This is the best site that I've come across for our trade, but it does have it's dynamics like any subculture. Just something that has to be accepted and learn to be dealt with.

laserman70

I think some of it is a period of "hazing" as the older members are trying to figure out is this someone that is serious or just on here to start something.

I agree with that. I understand the passion everyone here has and respect that. Most on here have been in the business for years and have the right to be sour about someone pissing in their pool..

Williams Signs

Take it from someone who has been at the bottom of the bashing trail. Some of the comments on here does hurt. I have been in the business for 7 years and have only wanted to get better and learn the business. From my own experience from asking critique on designs, it is not the fact that a design maybe bad that hurts; it is the lack of explanation of why it doesn't work. I have tried very hard to better myself. When people ask for help people offer up suggestions of hiring a pro or the design sucks, but few times are explanations offered as to what doesn't work and why. I think this is what deters so may here.
Just my .02 cents.

laserman70

Take it from someone who has been at the bottom of the bashing trail. Some of the comments on here does hurt. I have been in the business for 7 years and have only wanted to get better and learn the business. From my own experience from asking critique on designs, it is not the fact that a design maybe bad that hurts; it is the lack of explanation of why it doesn't work. I have tried very hard to better myself. When people ask for help people offer up suggestions of hiring a pro or the design sucks, but few times are explanations offered as to what doesn't work and why. I think this is what deters so may here.
Just my .02 cents.
+1

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just my .02 cents.

I think I understand what you're saying. Sometimes it's too hard to put some or certain negative comments into a sentence that won't hurt no matter how it's worded. Some people like a good swift kick while others like to be bathed in the don't do's . Later, if someone goes into all of the negatives about something, then another person will say... you didn't have to get so mean and degrading. Many times when there are countless things wrong with a design, layout or logo attempt.... it's better to get off the trail and go down another one and not concentrate on all the bad elements or factors about a bad try.

The other thing is.... many people here and other sites, have this illusion that you have to start somewhere... someplace...... Did you ever think, yeah, that's true, but this isn't s101 learn how to start a business, draw or learn the very basics of basics. Anyone here will offer up help at any level and if the OP doesn't like it and cops an attitude..... and continues that same attitude for days/weeks/months in just about every place he/she shows up.... don't you want to ignore that person ?? If one sees a trend, one will stay away, but the new guy on the block might not realize this and when disgruntled signguy spouts out crap.... and the newbie doesn't realize it.... who is getting harmed now ??

We must find a way to help anyone who is honestly trying to take their sign business to new heights... be it with designing capabilities, pricing or just handling people/customers. The people that want a free ride and can't do squat and demand others to show their work or put other demands on people is just an impostor and needs to be labeled somehow.

Anyone not posting up questions or logos is doing themselves a great injustice if they allow some words to deter them from making some good business decisions. Learn to fare with everything and you'll do good forever.... unless your wife catches you drunk in the arms of another woman.... or man. Now, that one we can't help you with.... but we will need to see pictures to be sure. :thumb: