• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Basic Essentials to start a Signage Business

Delgado87

Fred Weiss, allamericantrade, sar bossier and Pat Whatley thank you for those posts I was being serious when I posted this and you guys gave me a serious response I appreciate that and im glad to know there are people that can be mature adults on here.

ironchef

Learning this this business from another person in the sign industry is like learning glassblowing from a venetian. Yes i know how to blow glass. And no i did not learn from a venetian. Point is... in a way this is an industry you learn and get better at over time. With lots of sweat. blood and tears.

SignManiac

I wish I could offer some advice but my knowledge of this business is severely limited. I still make signs with brushes and paint on MDO. Pencil sketch is the best way to layout, then paint your letters with 1-shot paints. Be sure to round over the edges of your sign panels. The paint will last longer that way.

HulkSmash

Fred Weiss, allamericantrade, sar bossier and Pat Whatley thank you for those posts I was being serious when I posted this and you guys gave me a serious response I appreciate that and im glad to know there are people that can be mature adults on here.

How are you going to call people childish when you give absolutely no background info, just asking how to start from the ground up. Next time try doing that from the start, not after you get called out.

Locals Find!

Colorado is right. You came across acting shady then get upset when someone says something to you about it?? Then you start spilling the truth.

What are you Trevon Martin's cousin or something??

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I wish I could offer some advice but my knowledge of this business is severely limited. I still make signs with brushes and paint on MDO. Pencil sketch is the best way to layout, then paint your letters with 1-shot paints. Be sure to round over the edges of your sign panels. The paint will last longer that way.

Your knowledge is "severely limited"? You're kidding, right? Your knowledge is the foundation everything else in this business was built on. The keys on the first Gerber Signmakers followed the sequence of thought signpainters used. The best signmaking software followed along the same lines. And SteveC's hand lettered digital fonts are the best solution available for creating signs with what Mike Stevens called "eye appeal". I got into vinyl in 1982 and fought a huge battle educating customers who were reluctant to use what they tended to call "tape letters". Now, I've come full circle and am back to buying a couple new cans of 1Shot a week. The last thing I would consider myself to have is severely limited knowledge of this business precisely because I began as a signpainter where every sign I made came out of my brain through my hands into a brush and onto the board. Don't sell yourself short. I'm not making a living at it anymore as I'm medically retired, but I'm having more fun now with the part time effort than I ever did during all the years I was digital.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Don't forget tape dispensers. Lots and lots of tape dispensers.

Excepting a printer try to by everything you can at estate sales or auction.
You can usually buy at 10 cents on the dollar.

DizzyMarkus

As a new to print guy -- I also came here looking for the quick answers or easy answers. It is not going to happen as you will have to earn your stripes first. My thoughts are if you were really serious about it, you would have done far more research before coming here and asking away.

Severely limited knowledge--- the whole business model is based around ones knowledge of how to do things -- it sure is far from "simple enough to buy a machine" and be a business -- even the machines need self maintance and if it is acting up or how to fix adjust it. Simple things like printing and letting it outgas will cause you woes, how can you justify charging a customer (what you should) a fee if you don't know how to do it.

Work with someone for while who has the machines and know how-- soak it all in and grab $30,000 :0)

good luck in your endeavor,
Markus