• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Basic Essentials to start a Signage Business

First thing first do a marketing research - can your local economy handle another full time sign company? What is your market share? If that will be enough for you than start thinking for a name and filling out all the paperwork.
Print or order 1000 business cards and take a drive around your area. Call everybody you know and let them know you have got a new business going. (Don't call them if you did the same thing a month ago).
Go to every place you think needs a new sign or current SIGN LOOKING THING that needs a little TLC and talk to them.
As far as equipment: vinyl cutter 24" minimum, paint brushes, other things you will figure out by yourself.
But what do I know. I been in the sign business for only 2+ years, and now 8 weeks into running my own sign company.

Speedsterbeast

I think what you are asking is regarding equipment.

You will need (all good quality- no junk)

-Plotter
-Printer
-Large Work Table
-Computer
-Software (design & bookeeping)
-Material/ Substrate stock
-Lots of small Misc. Tools
-Laminator (oprional- see Big Squeegee)
-Vehicle (truck or trailer)
-Website
-Business Phone Line
-And a much longer/larger learning curve than you are most likely anticipating

And that's just for a small business start.

ThinkRight

Hey guys my question here is what are the basic essentials I would need to start a small to medium size signage business. I am looking for a basic list of the things that I will need and maybe some brands that are preferable. I have location that i can start this business as well. What Im really looking for is just like an outline of the stuff that need and what all i should do. If anyone has ideas for their ideal shop please enlighten me so I can get a better idea of what all I need and what would be good to do to start a shop from scratch.

thanks guys!

Here you go !
Ready made sign shop !!!
http://www.summausa.com/aboutus/free-cutter.php
:toasting:

Seriously....Step 1 a complete business plan. In the course of that we can outline everything you will need.

There are simply quicky sticky signs shops, there are illuminated sign shops, there are dimensional sign shops, and do it all sign shops just to list a few...we need a lot more info before we just start making a shopping list.

mark galoob

So my issue here is that this fella wants to be spoon fed a business plan with all the info gotten with no blood sweat and tears investment. Many folks here have spent hundreds of hours building just the freakin business plans to there business. Personally it took me 6 months just to write the thing. I spent many nights locked away in my office just putting numbers together.

Tell me why I should spoon feed you info when it doesn't seem like u have done any initial due diligence yourself

Mark galoob

Locals Find!

Don't invest in a sign business. Just sell signs. Much easier. Plenty of shops need salespeople. Let the guys that know production do production. If you know sales just do sales. While your doing sales learn the production side when they are making the jobs you sold. Pay attention for many years and then think about opening your own shop.

At that point you won't be asking this dumb question you will already know your answer.

First, welcome to the form,
You will need patients,graphic design experience and the right equipment.
You will need to do 100% on every sign you do. :thumb:

ironchef

I agree with the last couple comments... I'm not going to give out all the info I've learned from trial and error, over the last couple years. Especially not for free! Haha. F*** YOU. PAY ME!!! Also. Being a sales person is a good idea. Sorry for being so rude. Couple years back. Someone walked in asking questions. Saying they were going to open in another country. Later on. We find out he opened a couple blocks away. Hire a consultant in this industry. And don't be cheap!

cartoad

Got some great answers here, but probably not what you are looking for I'll bet. If your desire is to be a "store" owner, with all the hats, it will most likely take years to reach a level of comfort. The best answer is to become a salesman for a store, that way you can learn, and do not have the head aches of equipment that breaks down in the middle of the production run, employees that take a day off when you schedule in big jobs, trying to collect from dead beats,......and the list goes on and on! Read thru the forums and yes it is a blast most of the time, but it also has more than its fair share of problems.
One other thing that no one has touched on here (or at least I did not see it)
what happens if you get sick, or your health takes a downturn before you are ready to sell your business? Then you will be in the spot where you have to take what you can get for substantial investment of money, blood sweat and tears.

That all said, if you are still determined then you can go the license or franchise route. I am not a fan of franchised operations with all their restrictions and royality payments and other fees. Licensed approach is better in my humble opinion as there are some fee's up front, but that is about all, gets you started in the right direction. PM me if you want more info on the subject-yes we are a licensed store.

Good luck, and re read all these posts, and then read them again and try to see what they are really saying from store owners point of view. And another store with low standards and cheap materials is a real PITA!

Techman

I just met the owners of a sign company doing very high end 3d signs.
She,, yes,,, She started with some hdu, a few hand saws and a dremel tool and a hand held router.
She knew how to paint. and she knows how to design artsy fartsy 3d signs.

She avoided all the trappings of a printer, cutter, and never considered doing yard signs.
They now own a cnc router, and paint closet full of pint and the ability to market their work.

They make in one job what many here make doing 100 jobs a month.

However,, did I mention she knows how to design artsy fartsy.

OldPaint

1 QUESTION.........WHY THE SIGN BUSINESS? what makes you think you are capable of running a business, do you have any art talent or experience, and why dont you landscaping or car detailing instead?????
when i started in this full time, i had ART TALENT(god given no training)was shown how lettering brushes worked, and 6-8 cans of one shot and 4-5 brushes........total enter cost $50!!!!!!! the money was made with ABILITY TO DRAW AND PAINT..........no plotter, printer, shop or $100,000 loan.

4R Graphics

I started my company with no "sign business" experience. My parents owned there own business and I was raised in the family business NOT a sign business. So I had some or at least I thought I did knowledge on owning and running a busines. I learned real quick that I was not as business owner smart as i thought I was. I do have art skills and already knew alot about photoshop and vector art.

I also started out just making cut vinyl stickers as that grew I began outsourcing print work and now I own all the equipment and do it all in house.

As others have stated the question you posted was just DUMB. If you have no idea at all the first thing if you really want to do this is at least learn about the basic equipment you need to open a shop then maybe find a trade show or go to the manufacturers and learn about the equipment and what can do what and why and speed and maintenance costs etc...

After that then you can ask a better question and we will help.

Please do yourself and the other sign people in your area a favor and dont be stupid cheap. This hurts you as you are not making as much money as you could and second when you close your business the other sign companies are going to have to listen and deal with customers who want stuff stupid cheap.

One of the hardest things to learn for me was to quote the price that I calculated and stick to it dont go down no matter what (well there are exceptions but to start no exceptions) You will have a lot of people try to talk you down and some say billy bob down the street is cheaper and some will just get be nasty and walk but trust me MOST all of those people are not people you want to do business with as they will get it done cheap tell you it needs to be done in 2 days when it takes 3 and they will complain about every little detail.

Get quotes from other local companies and set your prices really close to theres if they are selling at the prices they charge why do it for less even if you have no overhead that just means more money for you.

SO most important learn the basics of design and layout have some design skills learn about the equipment and what they do figure out what kind of graphics you want or can afford to make (equipment costs) come up with some kind of plan as to how you will run the business who your target market is how you will advertise and once you have at least a start on this list you can ask better questions and we will give you better answers.

Example graphtec or summa mutoh or roland bulk ink or not calandered or cast if you can ask these kinds of questions or understand what I am asking and talking about then you can ask a better question and we will help you out.

I am a very new company compared to most on this forum I have been around since 2008. I am still learning and have questions but I know how to ask them and that is the key on this forum as we are all professionals and dont like new people coming in wanting something for nothing and mudding up the waters for real sign people in your area.

Good luck

allamericantrade

There are many different areas of the industry. Start off with what you are experianced with and you can grow into other areas later. I can name about 10 different industry types fillng the name of signs. You want to do it all? You will need over a mill. to start and the working capitol to cover about 20 different people who are skilled in different areas of sign making.

What is your experiance?

From your questions no where near enough.

The answer to your question is TIME. time to learn the industry and develop the skills needed. If you are a quick learner about 5 years should suffice.

Sign-Man Signs

Hey guys my question here is what are the basic essentials I would need to start a small to medium size signage business. I am looking for a basic list of the things that I will need and maybe some brands that are preferable. I have location that i can start this business as well. What Im really looking for is just like an outline of the stuff that need and what all i should do. If anyone has ideas for their ideal shop please enlighten me so I can get a better idea of what all I need and what would be good to do to start a shop from scratch.

thanks guys!

Lots of smart azz answers but a question like yours does nothing but infuriate everyone that has spent years and untold hours figuring out just what your asking and you want to become a competitor. Not going to happen. Take a internship at another sign shop. Mom and Pop operation like myself welcome the extra help and I have taught a few along the way. Be prepared to sign a non-compete agreement when you apply.
You can do a small start up business doing just cut vinyl for around 2 grand. Banners, step signs, magnetics, are always on everyone's want list. I started my business 20 years ago and have seen many come and go. Just make sure you want to spend long hours and small profits for your first couple of years.
The learning curve seriously, will take you about a good year to master most of the technics we have learned over the years. Just make sure you want to do this. Working with a established company will give you a real insight as to the complexity of a working sign shop.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Before someone goes out and buys a bunch of sign equipment, my suggestion is simple...

At the top of this page there is a blue stipe...on the bottom one, third buttom from the right is "Search"...

Learn to use that.