• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Because we don't eat real food...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
... just think about how our ancestors did it all.... and without chemicals, refrigeration or grocery store chains...

And suffered an astronomical infant mortality rate as well as dying of old age at 30.

ucmj22

And suffered an astronomical infant mortality rate as well as dying of old age at 30.

I would venture to say that infant mortality rates had more to do with the lack of modern medicine and the ability to perform C-sections on breach and other difficult births than it did with what they ate.

WildWestDesigns

Instead of thinking about convenience and how the government has interfered with our eating, just think about how our ancestors did it all.... and without chemicals, refrigeration or grocery store chains. :unclesam:

At the population density that we have in the world today, going back to the good ole days of our ancestors isn't really a viable option. The only thing that has kept this population eating food is technology.

I can't remember who predicted it, but a long time ago it was predicted that man would run out of food if the population kept on growing. Would have been true if technology of growing and storing the food hadn't evolved.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that I'm against organic foods. I'm not. I grow a good bit of what I eat(don't use man made chemicals or fertilizers on them, but not for the reasons that you would think) even in the winter with the aid of a green house, however, if it wasn't for certain GMOs, we wouldn't have the food supply that we have now certainly not to sustain the population that we have. Especially if you try to do it all organically.

On the small scale organic can work, but try to implement it on the large scale, very hard logistically.

sportycliff

WildWest....

Okay, I got it. When the female goats are left to roam around along with the males, it creates a hormone secretion which also gets into the milk and this is what causes the goat-y flavor. Nothing like a horny nannie to ruin your milk. :covereyes: So, it has nothing to do with what they eat or how old the milk is, unless it's 4 months old or something, but all-natural raw would be fine and quite tasty if the females are separated from the males while pregnant and giving milk.

Another fact. If you are using raw milk regardless of cow or goat, once it sours, it's still perfectly fine to drink. The pasteurization and homogenization isn't in there, so it's totally safe to drink. Those two 'izations' ruin the enzymes and bacteria needed to keep the milk safe. Besides you can make yogurt out of it, bake all kinds of stuff with it or just make butter if you have the time.

Instead of thinking about convenience and how the government has interfered with our eating, just think about how our ancestors did it all.... and without chemicals, refrigeration or grocery store chains. :unclesam:

+100%

It's never too late to eat healthy.

If someone would like more info please take a look at:
http://www.westonaprice.org/

ucmj22

At the population density that we have in the world today, going back to the good ole days of our ancestors isn't really a viable option. The only thing that has kept this population eating food is technology.

I think you might be astonished at the amount of immensely fertile earth is used up for the process of grown nutrient depleted feed corn for consumption by a group of animals we kill and eat! imagine how much better our produce selection and prices would be if that land was used to grow food for HUMANS! Now don't get ME wrong, I am not some veggie freak, some hippie drum beater But I do believe that as a modern Culture our diets are overly protein rich and could stand to be cut by about 50%. JMO

Colin

One of the other things that most people never seem to be aware of, is the fact that we now enjoy our standard of living due to our sanitary systems. Yes, sewers.

WildWestDesigns

One of the other things that most people never seem to be aware of, is the fact that we now enjoy our standard of living due to our sanitary systems. Yes, sewers.

Romans had a good handle on sewer systems. That was my first inclination as well was to think of that, but there are some examples of good systems in place back in the day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Better than that..... Indus Valley Civilization had a sewer system in tact and was quite the system some 3,000 years ago. Then as late as the 1800's you had London, which used the Thames River as it's sewer system until they became so sick and polluted they had to rethink their crapper system.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I would venture to say that infant mortality rates had more to do with the lack of modern medicine and the ability to perform C-sections on breach and other difficult births than it did with what they ate.

Really? Nothing to do with what they ate? Consider why old Chris Columbus set off in his little flotilla. It wasn't to discover the new world, it was to find a western passage to the orient in order to trade in spices and herbs. The new world thing was an accident and a bit of a disappointment to his financiers.

Why was that so important? I mean, sailing around the world for a bit of salt, cumin, or nutmeg?

At that time, spices etc. were pretty much a requirement to have a society that was not centered around nothing but subsistence farming. A surplus of food is required for a civilization to exist. It goes something like surplus->trade->civilization.

That food surplus requires preservation. In those days there was no good preservation and most of the food consumed by urbanites in those days was spoiled if not putrid. It was the spices etc. that tended to marginally preserve food and make the the otherwise inedible edible. Spices were incredibly important to these people.

Why do you suppose that, to this day, spicy food a feature of most every equatorial belt society? That the further north or south you go the less spicy the food? Hint: It has to do with climate

ucmj22

Really? Nothing to do with what they ate? Consider why old Chris Columbus set off in his little flotilla. It wasn't to discover the new world, it was to find a western passage to the orient in order to trade in spices and herbs. The new world thing was an accident and a bit of a disappointment to his financiers.

Why was that so important? I mean, sailing around the world for a bit of salt, cumin, or nutmeg?

... maybe we are arguing about 2 different things here, and I got off on the wrong one.... but are you saying Infant mortality rates are directly attributable to a lack of cumin?

sportycliff

... maybe we are arguing about 2 different things here, and I got off on the wrong one.... but are you saying Infant mortality rates are directly attributable to a lack of cumin?

1240265992468.jpg

Tim Aucoin

Your life changing philtres and potions are far more like Dumbo's magic feather than anything that will produce any sort of actual change in anything via some sort of chemical magic.

If your life changed then you changed it. Not any sort of snake oil. Especially the sort that promises to drive out chimerical toxins, whatever they might be. You might as well be driving out demons with beads and rattles. The two notions are functionally identical.

"Chemical Magic", "Snake Oil", :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That's funny!
Actually Bob, you are right on one hand... I did change MY life, as it was a decision that I made and action that I took. But to call what I'm doing "Chemical Magic and Snake Oil"? If you knew me in the slightest, you'd know that I'm not the type to fall for "schemes" and I definitely don't ingest chemicals. I research everything I do with pain-staking detail and thoroughness.

I've been fat all my life. I played football in school, soccer, gymnastics, I ate according to the Canada food guide, I didn't do drugs, I didn't smoke, I didn't drink (excessively), yet I have been FAT all my life! Over the last 10 years I've tried every "DIET" out there and I was still FAT!

11 months ago I was introduced to a product, or rather a system to "cleanse" my body. It's not a weight loss system and it's not a diet. It is whole body cleansing by means of NUTRITION. "Yeah, right. Another magical solution" is what I thought at first. But I DID THE RESEARCH and liked what I found so I decided to try it. And guess what? IT WORKS FOR ME! It works for my wife and it works for 6 family members and 8 friends of ours who saw our lives change and WANTED what we have! Over the last 11 months I have researched EACH AND EVERY ingredient in EVERYTHING I put in my mouth EVERY DAY and I am satisfied that I am eating not only the best nutrition I could be eating, but it is CHANGING my body and my life!

You believe what you want to believe, but DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS about what I'm doing unless you take the time yourself to DO THE RESEARCH and know what you're talking about before you basically tell me that I'm being suckered into something I THINK is helping me! :noway:

WildWestDesigns

I think you might be astonished at the amount of immensely fertile earth is used up for the process of grown nutrient depleted feed corn for consumption by a group of animals we kill and eat! imagine how much better our produce selection and prices would be if that land was used to grow food for HUMANS! Now don't get ME wrong, I am not some veggie freak, some hippie drum beater But I do believe that as a modern Culture our diets are overly protein rich and could stand to be cut by about 50%. JMO

No I would not be surprised. Remember my education and the majority of my work career was within the agriculture sector. If you factor in the thought that the world is warming up, that could also open up even more land.

However, you are overestimating the ability of that land. If you take out being able to use man made fertilizer, you have to do something else. Horse/cow manure, possible, I use it for my fields. However, very much a time release, plus you very much have to worry about the cleaning of what crops that it's put on. Other option is to use legumes (alfalfa etc not all grasses qualify) to put nutrients back in the soil. That requires that the the land isn't used for growing food. You also have to make sure that you cut those legumes before they bolt, otherwise those nutrients that they put back in the soil would be used by the grass(minor issue, but one that must be dealt with).

All this isn't as easy as you would like to think. I'm just scratching the surface of the possible issues of doing this for the entire population. Not trying to say that I don't think more organic foods in ones diet isn't good, just trying to say that it isn't as easy as one would think on such a large scale.

Don't forget food prices more then likely will go up in the effort of trying to go all out organic. Don't like food prices now, imagine how you will feel after this happens.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Other option is to use legumes (alfalfa etc not all grasses qualify) to put nutrients back in the soil. That requires that the the land isn't used for growing food.

Huh? Legumes? As in peas, beans, lentils... etc.... ?????

All great nitrogen-fixing plants...

ucmj22

No I would not be surprised. Remember my education and the majority of my work career was within the agriculture sector. If you factor in the thought that the world is warming up, that could also open up even more land.

However, you are overestimating the ability of that land. If you take out being able to use man made fertilizer, you have to do something else. Horse/cow manure, possible, I use it for my fields. However, very much a time release, plus you very much have to worry about the cleaning of what crops that it's put on. Other option is to use legumes (alfalfa etc not all grasses qualify) to put nutrients back in the soil. That requires that the the land isn't used for growing food. You also have to make sure that you cut those legumes before they bolt, otherwise those nutrients that they put back in the soil would be used by the grass(minor issue, but one that must be dealt with).

All this isn't as easy as you would like to think. I'm just scratching the surface of the possible issues of doing this for the entire population. Not trying to say that I don't think more organic foods in ones diet isn't good, just trying to say that it isn't as easy as one would think on such a large scale.

Don't forget food prices more then likely will go up in the effort of trying to go all out organic. Don't like food prices now, imagine how you will feel after this happens.

believe it or not I am actually not concerned about Food prices. I actually think that we are experiencing artificially low food prices because grain is so Highly subsidized. Maybe if food prices went up we would all put a little garden in our back yards, and become less of a tubby nation.

GoodPeopleFlags

I would love for everything I buy to be healthy, organic food with no preservatives but that stuff is expensive! I'm an avid coupon-er and save money every chance I can. I would love to learn more about growing my own food.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Not sure why everyone is trying to prolong death, a year, five or ten more, what difference does it make[?].

The difference it makes is not how much longer one lives, its rather how much healthier one is when one gets on... and there are many who fervently wish for better health when they age...

Anyone can enjoy a higher quality of life if they changed their diets to a much higher proportion of fresh, raw fruits and vegetables. This is well-known and proven -- but only to a smaller segment of the population -- and goes directly against the "grain" of the multi-national food-processing giant corporations, which (sadly) is in their best interests to ignore healthy diet guidelines.

WildWestDesigns

Huh? Legumes? As in peas, beans, lentils... etc.... ?????

All great nitrogen-fixing plants...

Unles the research has changed they aren't as efficient as alfalfa, clover etc.

As to concern of fuel prices, that was only one aspect of concern which even if it doesn't affect any one of us, it depends on how it affects the masses.