• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bicycles...............

Sign Works

I went shopping for a good mountain bike a few years back and was a bit overwhelmed by all the different grades, options, choices, etc. Then there was the prices, oh my God! I never thought I'd spend over 2K on a bicycle. I selected a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, great bike and helps keep this old bod in shape, well kinda. :thumb:

Attachments

• 9383-41_l.jpg
    9383-41_l.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 91

Salmoneye

Make sure that you buy a bike that fits properly and have someone fit you that knows what the hell they are talking about and not just a salesman. I think that the biggest diff between a $100 bike and a $500 bike is the componentry, brakes actually will lock up tires if so desired, shifts are positive and quick... ... The difference is HUGE, the difference between the $500 bike and the $5,000 bike would probably hardly be noticed by a novice rider so save your $$$ (at least for a while).

jiarby

Look for a nice vintage 80's-90's bike... a bike that would have been $800-1500 in 1990 will be just a couple hundo's now, and still a great bike given how you will be using it.

Look on Craigslist! They thing that is the most important is the fit... that you get the right size.. in cm.
Go to the local shio and find out what size standard frame you would ride.
I am 5-11, but have stubby legs, so I rode a 57-58cm frame.

signmeup

This is for exercise? Get a one speed that weighs a ton. Add a water bottle, pump, horn, back rack, etc. Much more exercise than a 21 speed light weight. In fact... get a tandem and remove the rear pedals. Take the goddess with you. (sit in front)

signage

Signmeup I think this would be a good one for Gino and the Godess!

Attachments

• Gino Bike.jpg
    Gino Bike.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 91

Craig Sjoquist

Personally I rebuild what I have before buying new.

Here's mine that at present riding, using for transportation selling work, hauling equipment, supplies, just getting it done. One of my other bikes as a back up has my other trailer.

Attachments

• end june011 003.JPG
    end june011 003.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 86
  • end june011 007.JPG
    end june011 007.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 11-13-20-10 017.JPG
    11-13-20-10 017.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 90

omgsideburns

I was riding a jamis ventura for a while, they are good bikes for the price.

Now I'm riding a single speed that I put together. I really like it but it takes a little getting used to.

animenick65

Not sure where you are shopping or doing to find bikes that expensive. Those kinds of prices are usually reserved for fancy road bikes.

A couple of years ago I bought a nice Trek with carbon fiber forks for $600 new. Thats not unreasonable at all.

SebastienL

Some thoughts:

Prices: How much did you pay for your first car? How much for your last?
Sure prices have gone up, but also the technology and quality. An entry level road bike nowadays is better than what the pros rode 30 years ago...

Restoring your Ross: Do this for sentimental reason only. I don't think you will enjoy riding it at all. Not comfortable, shifts like my grandfather '56 tractor, brakes that wont work wet, wheels out of thrue rubbing on brake pads...Just not worth it.

Buying a bike off the internet: If you buy your shoes without trying them on first, go ahead. I like to try my shoes on first; not all 10s are created equal.

Going to a bike shop to try a bike out, then buying it off the internet: I like the design you did for me, thanks for doing for free. But the new shop down the road will print for half the price. See ya!

:toasting:

gabagoo

Gino.... I would add one thing since I took up riding my mountain bike again. BUY A PADDED SEAT COVER cause you azz gonna be sore!!!!!

Locals Find!

Lots of great advice on here. Didn't have time to read through all the posts. My only piece of advice is make sure you get measured for the right frame. A good bike store will take into account your height, your reach your leg length and all those other factors that a Wally world or Kmart won't. Having the right size frame makes a world of difference.

My cheapo K-mart blue light special was horrible after I jumped on my 17.5 trek hybrid. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

GP

I have an old rebuilt 10 speed, granted it was a fine Italian machine back in the 80s. When I started getting back into riding regularly, I fixed it back up for around that same price. I challenged myself to ride 1000 miles on it - as a reward, I would purchase a new, fancy bike. That was three bikes ago.

I would suggest taking it to your most reputable bike shop and get it properly fit. If you score an extra sign job, a set of nicer wheels (used) will go a surprisingly long way.

Don't get wrapped up in spending money. Get wrapped up in discovering how great it is to ride a bike again. Have fun with it. The money thing will inevitably come later.

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 93
  • bike2.JPG
    bike2.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

p3

Ya a decent mountain bike or road bike is expensive. I bought one right before my knee surgery and its not all that great, but its got the hydraulic disk brakes, its not full suspension, just front shocks, but its got 29" wheels rather than the 26's that a normal mountain bike.

artbot

i like riding my daughters aluminum beach cruiser from walmart ($90, weighs nothing, single speed, very smooth bike). this is coming from a guy back in his teens that had a $2000 bmx bike (that's back in the early 80's!), a nice 24" cross country, and a 26".

go for comfort comfort comfort. get the squishiest, smoothest, lightest, gadgetless bike and just go for a cruise. you heart and ass will give out on you quickly and it will be no fault of the bike. may as well be in a comfortable seating position while you get your exercise.

if you stick with it, you can upgrade. but your ass will still miss that cruiser.