• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bicycles...............

Jim Doggett

Hi Gino,

Go with a fixie off of Craigslist. It'll get your "spin" burned into your motor pathways. Great training. Plus they're fairly cheap in the used market. But know what size you're looking for, i.e 53/54 cm if 5'8"-ish. Or 59/60 cm if nearer 6'0". Size matters. Google "bike fit chart."

And no mountain bike!!! Scrunching that much soft rubber on pavement is a killer. Road tires, 115 psi or north of that and 700 wheels. If it's easier, you'll do it more.

And love hills!!! Don't tense up. Just relax and spin, building speed (cadence) as you go up.

Once you love it, and you will, then get a 15-pounder for $8 grand :^)

My $0.02,

gnemmas

I recommend stationery bike! For old folks like me, all it needs is a tumble.....

Otherwise, a one speed cruiser with nice seat. You want to exercise, would you go with light weight dumbbell or power assisted bowflex...?

Tim Kingston

I am 53 and bike to work ( 10 miles each way ) every day in all kinds of weather over terrible chip sealed roads. I can't tell you how happy I am with the bike my wife purchased for me 2 years ago, 4500kms and the only thing I had to replace was a tire tube. Here is my model:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/lifestyle/2563/32760/

I'm not sure if they still make it , here is the current model but the seat doesn't look as comfortable to me:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/escape.city/8070/45723/

I'd like to add to the good advice, is to choose a bike that is designed to fit your needs. I commute to work, so the above is perfect for me. Tim

Jim Doggett

Hi Gino,

Go with a fixie off of Craigslist. It'll get your "spin" burned into your motor pathways. Great training. Plus they're fairly cheap in the used market. But know what size you're looking for, i.e 53/54 cm if 5'8"-ish. Or 59/60 cm if nearer 6'0". Size matters. Google "bike fit chart."

And no mountain bike!!! Scrunching that much soft rubber on pavement is a killer. Road tires, 115 psi or north of that and 700 wheels. If it's easier, you'll do it more.

And love hills!!! Don't tense up. Just relax and spin, building speed (cadence) as you go up.

Once you love it, and you will, then get a 15-pounder for $8 grand :^)

My $0.02,

Addendum: I forgot seat height!! Sorry. It's an uber-biggy; to do it right, is a bit involved. But very worth the effort:

1. Get a super-accurate inseam measurement by putting your back to the wall (in stocking feet, standing with feet side-by-side; no spread stance) and snugging a 2x2 into your crotch, firmly; kinda like how the bike seat would snug up when sat upon. Also a level should be on the 2x2 so it's level when your pal measures the distance from the top of the 2x2 to the floor. Bingo. You have a true inseam measurement, as related to sitting on a bike.

2. Multiply that distance by 0.883. The result is the starting point on seat height, if measuring along the angle of the seat-tube, from the top of the seat to the very center of the crank (where the bottom bracket bolt is).

That should be good, even perfect, starting point. But "listen" to your body. If you have knee pain, make micro adjustments in height -- very tiny moves, based on where your knee hurts. If the lower part of your knee is ouchy, the seat is ever so slightly too high. If the upper part hurts, the seat is too low. Keep making micro adjustments until your knee stops hurting. And then scribe that height onto your seat post!!!! Tune ups at bike shops frequently move the seat height and is never quite spot-on when they finish up.

Proper fit makes a HUGE difference in comfort and efficiency (ease). Then technique is everything else, which is why fixed-gear (fixie) riding is such great training.

Dan A would attest, I think, that the racer elite guys (gals) that blow past you on are 90% bike/fit/technique and 10% physical ability.

Off my soap box. :^)

Best,

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thankyou: everybody.

I was out a few times last week and then I was out looking last night at some. Going again tonight. I'm using lots of your information to find what's best suited for me without spending a fortune.

Looking mostly at GT's and Giants. Price range varies from $385 to $760. I likey the $760, but need to keep the Goddess happy and not spend too much. I just can't get through to her that it's an old body and I need all the extra comfort and help I can get from the bike. :Sleeping:

Colin

Didn't see this thread 'til now.

I saw one I liked and it had caliper brakes, all kinds of shock absorbers and fancy schmancy gears and super light weight. Cost was $900.

As a cyclist of 20+ years, I do have some input.

You don't need shocks. They are for harsher off-road terrain, and they just add weight to a road cruiser.

I liked everything about it. Got home and the Goddess asked if I was outa my head? A frickin’ bike for $1,000.00……. you gotta be kidding me!

That's entry level stuff. Mine was over $5000.00 My buddy's bike is 10K. Think about what other things you might spend a grand on over the course of a year, this is something that will benefit your health and will be great fun; why cheap out?

I was given instructions by one of the guys at work and another friend to look at K-Marts and Wal-Mart’s for similar bikes that cost far less.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Those bikes are absolute crap. They are cheap, heavy; are assembled by kids who don't know a dang thing about bikes; will not last long, and most importantly.....will be unpleasant and discouraging to ride- defeating your whole purpose. Buy from a good bike shop.

Point being, there are cruisers, mountain, hybrid and then they’re broken down even further within their own categories…… I’m totally lost.

From what you've said, it sounds like a hybrid would suit you well. Trek makes some good bang-for-the-buck bikes.

At the moment, I don’t intend to do 40 and 50 mile rides. Perhaps on a Saturday or Sunday, I might go for a nice ride, but for the most part, I just want to ride up and down hills around my home without much stress and still get good exercise. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour every other day.

The biggest mistake people make when buying a bike is buying for their present level of riding. You will get fitter, likely enjoy it more & more and then want a better sled, so why not buy the bike you're likely going to wind-up with, now. It will be less expensive in the long run, and you'll love it right away, and it will encourage you to ride more.

Oh…. and I’m not gonna wear those spandexie shorts. I can’t stand that chit.

Gah. Don't let your pseudo-macho insecurities get the better of you. A good pair of cycling shorts will make your experience a thousand times more enjoyable. The chamois (the padded bit) inside modern shorts are a thing of beauty. The comfort they provide compared to your regular gitch & shorts allows for much longer rides and no chaffing. Actually, now that I think about it, you can get "baggy" regular-looking shorts that have a chamois in them for cycling; that'll be a good option for you.

A cycling jersey also makes a huge difference, as the material wicks away moisture (sweat) and doesn't hold it like regular clothing. You can get plain ones without all the flashy stuff.

A good pair of gloves is also important.

Always wear a helmet.

Eye glasses.

Water bottle & cage. "Hydrate or die".

If you get into it more, you'll want to get cycling shoes & pedals rather than flat pedals and sneakers. Shimano SPDs would be good enough for your purposes, you won't need "road" shoes & pedals.

Attachments

• Cycling Legs.jpg
    Cycling Legs.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 82

Dan Antonelli

Don't forget Gino, you'll need to set aside money for the razors to shave your legs. Again, invest in quality ones as cheap ones will leave you nicked up. Trust me.... :)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Don't forget Gino, you'll need to set aside money for the razors to shave your legs. Again, invest in quality ones as cheap ones will leave you nicked up. Trust me.... :)
:smile:

Why does he need a razor? I don't think he is into tweeting and not likely he will be a seated congressman any time soon.

wayne k
guam sua

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again for the added comments and information.

I was out last night and saw a Trek 8.3 that was about everything I want. Got the guy to come down in price, too. Brand new 2012, 8.3, out of the box, 24 gear, disc brakes, fitted for me at 17.5, a slightly better seat, LED front and back lights, water bottle, tool kit bag, pump, tube & repair kit..... and they even have a hard-cover bag for a gun that I can strap on..... all for a total of $610.00. Hah, I even like the color. The helmets are all around $35 to $45 for my taste..... and I'm still not buying those clingy shorts.

As for entry-level starting at $1,000 or $5,000, that's fine. I'm perfectly happy with this one for much less. The 8.4.5 looked nice, but I don’t really want hydraulic brakes…. and the hand release for the shocks doesn’t seem that necessary to me, let alone 27 gears. However, it’s only about $150 more.

The only thing not included is a bike rack. For now, I’ll just take the front wheel off and put it in the back if I want to go someplace special. Like I said, I’m gonna ride the roads and hills around my house, which is kinda isolated from most traffic. Only ‘locals’ drive on the roads back there…. plus, there’s a nice bike trail about 5 miles from my house which is about 25 miles one way.

Oh, for those of you that said to refurbish my old bike…. I’ll bet there is at least 10 or 12lbs. difference, without all the added extras I want. I was leaning towards doing this, but figured, I’d just be fixing up an old steel bike and it would still be an old steel bike afterwards and the weight would work against me at my age. I’m not an invalid, but I do want as much help towards my goal as possible and I think the weight is the biggest drawback to that thinking.

:U Rock:

ps.. Hey Dan, I don't even shave my face, so I don't think I'll be shaving my legs for less wind resistance anytime soon.............. :clapping:, but thanks for the advice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, some of those I might try.

By the way, I brought my old Ross into the shop today and believe it or not.... everything is in entirely working condition. I filled the tires, adjusted the brakes and ran a rag over it to get the spider nests and crud off of it, but it's holding the air, and even shifts just fine. I'm gonna take it out for a spin later on.

I'm still going down though to get that other one Saturday, I believe. I'll have one at work and one at home. Sa-weet.

Colin

If the tires & tubes on your old bike are quite old, don't rely on them. Replace 'em if you're going to actually ride the bike. Both the tubes and tires get brittle and will fail. Fixing flats while out on the road sucks.

signswi

That Trek 8.3 seems like a good fit for you. No reason to spend four figures at this point and Trek rarely designs a bad bike.

omgsideburns

You want the clingy shorts.. trust me.. even if you wear them under loose shorts.. keeps your stuff from seesawing on the front of your seat, and keeps you from rubbing anything raw.. at least until you get used to riding a lot. Now I can ride 30 miles across town and back in nothing but swimtrunks to go to the beach. You kinda build an ass of steel after a while.. but it always helps to have a seat that's the right shape for your parts.

no i don't drink on my bike, but it makes a good beer holder when i'm working in the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 126

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna get one of these. It's tailored for me and will give me all kinds of back support and other pleasurable riding capabilities.

Attachments

• bike seat.jpg
    bike seat.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 82

Colin

Oh ya, I forgot to say......Don't become what's known as a "Barney Bolt-On".......one of those guys who buys & installs every bike accessory known to man. You wind-up looking like a geek and your bike weighs a ton.

Ponto

Gino.... I would add one thing since I took up riding my mountain bike again. BUY A PADDED SEAT COVER cause you azz gonna be sore!!!!!

...just returned from Jasper AB townsite and a days trail riding with my two sons...... and I'll confirm the sore "azz" result......but a great way to enjoy the outdoors and get exercise at the same time!!!!!

JP

JoySigns

I love my Trek navigator. I tend to bike about an hour a day with it. It is a 21 speed hybrid, comfy seat. Cost is somewhere around $500+ for them these days. I bought mine slightly used from Craigslist for $400. I had to keep an eye out for it for quite a while before I found it. My hubby has a 9 year old Navigator that is still purring right along and after riding his I knew that's what I wanted.
I agree, stay away from the big box stores. A step above the bottom line is a good place to start.

p.s. I too lost weight when I started biking a couple of years ago, and I do occasionally wear the spandex stuff!