• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bicycles...............

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay…. so I’m looking to get into riding a bicycle again…. after about 40-some years.
I had a doctor’s exam last month and he said I had all good numbers and the weight was looking better than ever, all the blood work came back in great shape except one. My glucose is still elevated but cut in half after six months of my watching and taking better care of myself. So, I decided I wanted to ride again and went out looking at bicycles.

Holy Toledo…… have bicycles changed since I last had one. Actually, I still have my 27” 10-speed Ross. I bought it new 40 years ago and the guy said it would cost about $150 to $200 to tune it up and get it back to new again. So, I looked around his shop and saw bikes starting at about $350 up to in the many of $1,000’s. I saw one I liked and it had caliper brakes, all kinds of shock absorbers and fancy schmancy gears and super light weight. Cost was $900. I liked everything about it. Got home and the Goddess asked if I was outa my head ?? A frickin’ bike for $1,000.00……. you gotta be kidding me !!

So, after the swelling around my head went down and the ringing in my ears stopped, I was given instructions by one of the guys at work and another friend to look at K-Marts and Wal-Mart’s for similar bikes that cost far less. Point being, there are cruisers, mountain, hybrid and then they’re broken down even further within their own categories…… I’m totally lost.

Anyone have good ideas or pointers about an old beginner getting back into it ?? I used to ride all the time in all kinds of weather from about 6 or 7 years old up to about 20 or so. At the moment, I don’t intend to do 40 and 50 mile rides. Perhaps on a Saturday or Sunday, I might go for a nice ride, but for the most part, I just want to ride up and down hills around my home without much stress and still get good exercise. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour every other day.

I’m thinking along the lines of about 21 or so gears in a hybrid might be my cup-a-tea. In case this thing is just a phase, I really don’t want to spend $1,000 on a bike yet. I figure get one of these cheapies and graduate maybe next Spring if I keep at it and then go for a really nice one.

Oh…. and I’m not gonna wear those spandexie shorts. I can’t stand that chit.
So…….. how ‘bout you bike riders out there ?? Any input ??

:thankyou: Gino

Those with motors on their bikes can reply, but I made a solemn oath many years ago to myself, I would never own a motorcycle. I've had too many relatives and friends hurt or killed on them and I'd be no different. I won't temp fate on one of those. I did them for about 5 or 6 years.... even raced them back in the 60's, but knew I was too wild for one. I'm sticking to a pedal your own way around deal. :thumb:

Andrew O

Merchant Member
Gino - I am going through pretty much the same thing. It was only about a 10 year layoff from riding for me, but my weight and other numbers were not as okay. I had a very nice road bike from back when I was serious about it, but just coupldn't bend myself onto it, so I went out and got a hybrid that I have been riding about 50 miles a week pretty comfortably while I get back into it. $400-500 should buy a nice one with an aluminum frame, lots of gears, and a couple of bells and whistles. You can probably stay close to the lower end of that range if you can live without a front shock. Head to a decent (not crazy high end racer) shop and take one for a spin. I suspect that you will find it rides a lot nicer than your old Ross.

I have actually gotten to the point that I can ride my other bike and am very excited to be picking it up tomorrow. I probably spent more than I should have getting it back into riding shape, but riding it after this many years will make me happy and it is still a decent frame.

Really coincidentally, I put up a blog post today about why I ride. You might find it interesting:

http://rblog.rolanddga.com/uncategorized/take-the-time/

Mike F

Personally I'd restore the old one you have, nothing like a classic bike, and it'll be something nice that you can maybe pass on. My sister's got a Schwinn from the early 70s that was her aunt's and that thing is just freakin sweeeeeeeeet.

ChicagoGraphics

What ever you do don't by a bike from walmart and any type of stores like that. There's a big difference from a decent bike to a cheapy,a cheapy you need to peddle your ass off to get anywhere and a decent one just turn the peddle half a turn and your moving.
I would go with a Trek cross trainer cost about 200 - 250.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Gino once you lock in what you want you might check for a used setup.
With the way things are today there are bound to be some very nice hardly used bikes out there going for next to nothing.

wayne k
guam usa

Tim Aucoin

I started riding a lot this year now that the weight is way down. Start slow and cautious. Really though, it's just like riding a bike..... :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

My bike is a Giant. Very well built bikes and very light aluminum frame that won't rust. You can get a good new Giant for under $500 (at least I can here). 21 speed is good, gives you lots of range.

Good for you Gino for getting back in the saddle!! :thumb:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Gino I never saw a 21 speed tricycle:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tassels and Hello Kitty traffic safety flag are extra but it does come with a nice basket.......

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• 92496.jpg
    92496.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 110

Rodi

My suggestion, take the old ross, ask the guy who can fix it to put together a good set of wheels for you, it will take you further than you could ever think. I used to ride with people who had far better name bikes, but I had better wheels, its not who you know, its how they roll :)

Techman

Last year I bought a 89 bux cheapo. It looked good and rode ok. Then a neighbor said lets go riding. GREAT!
I couldn't keep up with him. My cheapo was just too inefficient to do anything but ride the neighbor hood.

He let me ride his and I can tell you this in all confidence. His $400 dollar bike was 1000 times more than that 89 bux cheapo. It rode smoother, It shifted cleaner it handled perfectly. The brakes were confident and the cornering was stable. Overall I did not ride faster but I could ride much farther with little effort.

So avoid the el cheapo bike. It will cause you more discouragement than anything else. My 89 bux cheapo now sites along the shed gathering dust and rain. I would feel embarrassed to give it away.

John L

CL is a great suggestion. I just did the same last month. I picked up my new favorite bike.... It's a http://landriderbikes.com/.

I'd never have believed this bike would be so comfortable to ride. I assumed the TV stuff was all hype of course. But I bought one off of CL, locally for $50 cash and I put a better seat on it, adjusted the bars, etc. and I can ride this thing all day without a problem.

Also, if you happen to have an iPhone... I recommend the "iMapMyRide" app. They may have it for other phones too. It will log your rides, miles, speeds, times, and even a GPS crumbtrail of the route you took. Really cool.

We just vacationed the last month in FL and I very casually logged over 250 miles while we were there. I would have never been able to do that on my other bikes.

Good Luck

Dan Antonelli

My current bicycle was $6500. I race pretty seriously (although not very well hah). Here's a video of me racing - I'm in the blue and white uniform - you can see me at :11 seconds in - moving up on the right side of the guy taping. This race was last Sunday (I got 21st out of 66 guys). http://vimeo.com/26897996

Here's a picture of my baby. A touch over 15 pounds, Italian carbon goodness :)

Attachments

• 6500_100545086629586_100000222851404_13572_6538542_n.jpg
    6500_100545086629586_100000222851404_13572_6538542_n.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 98

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So Dan is that 3M DNOC carbon fiber there or some other off brand?

On the serious side
Looks like a thing of beauty - can it be insured like a motorcycle?

wayne k
guam usa

Techman

god how I hate talking websites.. I can not sit there listening to blathering and screaming with cheesy music picked by someone who likes canned tunes. I cannot be subjected to some one's idea of a tv commercial website.
gag me...

SebastienL

Stay away from Wall-mart, Target or any big store bikes! Please, for the love of god, stay away from Wall-mart, Target or any big store bikes!

1-You get what ya pay for... You wouln't recommend I buy a chinese printer, would you?
cheap parts, cheap materials... might works just fine riding out the store, but after a few rides, you'll see the crapiness comes through, park the bike and never ride again.

2-Who will build and repair that bike? I used to build and repair bikes in big stores, also work in a bike shop... if your lucky, you might find a big store that hires qualified people to do so, if not, it will be the same guy collecting the stray carts in the parking lot. Bike shops usually have qualified mechanics.

No, you don't need to spend $1000s of bucks for a great bike... Ckeck for a used bike or bike shops will generally be more than happy to cut you a pretty good deal for last year's model. I think a hybrid is the bike for you... but again, a good bike shop will sell you a bike that FITS you body and your need that you will enjoy riding for a long time.

:thumb:Good luck.