• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Billboard for me... Your opinion

R08

Too busy? Too many distractions?

2010final.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What size is it ?? It doesn't look like any standard billboard size I know of.

CES020

What do you do? Seems like you should at least tell people what you do. After all, Sign Rite could mean anything. I'm not sure what "Rite" is, so I think you need some text that explains what you do, like "Signs and Graphics" or whatever you do.

R08

10'x12'. But I'm cheating . I'm leaving about 6" on space between the main sign and the bottom adder board.

R08

What do you do? Seems like you should at least tell people what you do. After all, Sign Rite could mean anything. I'm not sure what "Rite" is, so I think you need some text that explains what you do, like "Signs and Graphics" or whatever you do.

Yes that's a good point but the purpose of this billboard is only for name recognition and contact phone/email.
Although I may change my mind and add simple helvetica under the phone for items.

SqueeGee

I'm not a fan of putting email addresses on signs. I think it's very unlikely that anyone's going to write it down and send you an email.

CES020's comment should be addressed also as well as making your area code the same font as the rest of your phone number or at least in the same family.

CES020

Well, not to get into this debate again, but I've had purchasing agents at large companies tell me specifically the do not respond to free email addresses.

Some people swear by them and say there's nothing wrong, but when a corporation's buyers tell me they don't deal with free email accounts, I don't give them free email addresses. Their perception is that if you can't be bothered to have your own domain name that handles email, are you really a vendor they want do put their trust in with their products or needs.

Many fly by night and part time people that work normal full time jobs in some other business love to use free email addresses. So using your own just helps show that you aren't in the same category as those suppliers.

I also agree, I'm not sure there's much value at all on putting an email address on a sign. Web address for sure, but not so much email. I can't think of a single time I've ever pulled an email address off a billboard, but I have pulled web addresses many times.

All just my opinion, you might disagree 100%.

R08

Thx SqueeGee.
the area was a left over from previous serif version but I left it there cause thought it was kinda cool.... guess it wasnt'.

Yes very good points CES2020.

2010final.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't like the e-mail address either. I'd drop that panel or put something else in there.

sign rite .jpg

Put your tag line down below or switch the phone down there and put the tag on the main sign.

signswi

Put your website address on it, not your email address. If you don't have a website, get one ASAP. Lose the serif and add a little more negative space on the left/right margins, "Sign Rite" looks cramped because the S and e forms hit the edge of the plane.

R08

Put your website address on it, not your email address. If you don't have a website, get one ASAP. Lose the serif and add a little more negative space on the left/right margins, "Sign Rite" looks cramped because the S and e forms hit the edge of the plane.

Yes... I have a domain but been dragging my feet on an actual website. So point taken. I can add the website on a separate board at a later date.

Here's another with a previous version of Sign Rite. I just thought it was harder to read.

2010final.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why are you making your name smaller ?? You need it to be large so people can read it from a distance.

Xtreme_Sign_Guy

Is this in a well lit area? If not, I have been experimenting with refective overlays and had great reviews. If you make all of your copy reflective, you will be getting calls for everyone to do it. Being a Sign Co. is one thing, but standing out from your competition is another.

And I agree with all the other posters here: Use a website, not an email address. Dot coms are easier to remember. And put a tag line about the company. The Ph# might be too much for people to remember driving by, specially if you are in a multi area code market.

If you don't have your website up. Get it up with a construction page and all of your contact information and a hit counter so you can see what amount of traffic is being generated by your billboard. You will see that it will be worth spending a little time and money getting it up properly.

If it were my choice, I would go with the orginal "Sign Rite" Copy layout. By making the name smaller and adding your dome stamp behind it gets too busy with everything else you have going on in the background.

Techman

but when a corporation's buyers tell me they don't deal with free email accounts

I have never ever head this from any corporate rep. Ever. In over 20 years I have never heard of this.
The only place I ever heard of this is at some sign forums that make unnecessary demands when signing up. Or during some post.

R08

Not in a well-lit area.. Yes it will be reflective.(been doing reflective billboards for a long time)

Thx Techman! .. your opinion counts for 4 cents :)
But I'm leaving email off for now.

So far it's 1 for no dome effect. Everyone agree? (see post 15)

iSign

Is this in a well lit area? If not, I have been experimenting with refective overlays and had great reviews. If you make all of your copy reflective, you will be getting calls for everyone to do it. Being a Sign Co. is one thing, but standing out from your competition is another.

And I agree with all the other posters here: Use a website, not an email address. Dot coms are easier to remember. And put a tag line about the company. The Ph# might be too much for people to remember driving by, specially if you are in a multi area code market.

If you don't have your website up. Get it up with a construction page and all of your contact information and a hit counter so you can see what amount of traffic is being generated by your billboard. You will see that it will be worth spending a little time and money getting it up properly.

If it were my choice, I would go with the orginal "Sign Rite" Copy layout. By making the name smaller and adding your dome stamp behind it gets too busy with everything else you have going on in the background.

+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1

perfect post... thanks for saving me all that time!! :thumb:

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Not in a well-lit area.. Yes it will be reflective.(been doing reflective billboards for a long time)

Thx Techman! .. your opinion counts for 4 cents :)
But I'm leaving email off for now.

So far it's 1 for no dome effect. Everyone agree? (see post 15)
Definitely no dome effect -- too much going on.

Remember that viewers typically see it for a half a second or maybe a little longer -- like a second. Keep the clutter down and eliminate it, if possible. Your tag line should be very short. (and optionally clever)

OH!... and hhhmmmmmmm..... the "S" looks veeerrrry familiar... like a logo I've seen somewhere.... maybe.....