• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Booze in the shop?

C

ColoPrinthead

My little beer fridge. I always have, people over. In the loft at the shop, I have guitars and a set of drums and recording gear. It's a hang out place.

View attachment 84064
Nice. I've been thinking of picking one up for my office/room.

Enjoying a Mojo IPA as I type. My designer loves me for sharing this week and I haven't heard him complain once since it started. Great morale booster when hours get long imo.
:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

ProWraps

i used to drink in my shop after hours. not so much anymore. i think its cause we are so busy. but yeah newcastle used to flow like water at 5pm.

i really dont care about the morality issues or legal issues. to each his own. what you do in your shop is your business.

C

ColoPrinthead

Why dont you wake up earlier so you can leave earlier, who the hell starts at 10am
lol, someone who is putting in too many hours and can show up when they like because of it.

My commute sucks so its either wake up extra early or show up near my normal time and waste time in traffic trying to be early. I've left an hour early several times only to arrive 10-15 minutes early :banghead:

ucmj22

I would never drink on the job site/office. No how, no way, even if it was offered by the owner, or the owner was drunk himself. not gonna happen, not professional at all. But thats just me.

FS-Keith

lol, someone who is putting in too many hours and can show up when they like because of it.

My commute sucks so its either wake up extra early or show up near my normal time and waste time in traffic trying to be early. I've left an hour early several times only to arrive 10-15 minutes early :banghead:

I get in at 5:30 and usually wrap up between 5:30-7:00. Ill bet if you started earlier( 6-7) you would be able to go home at a decent time. My shop employees start at 8:00 and its amazing the volume of work I am able to get done by the time they get in.

SignosaurusRex

I get in at 5:30 and usually wrap up between 5:30-7:00. Ill bet if you started earlier( 6-7) you would be able to go home at a decent time. My shop employees start at 8:00 and its amazing the volume of work I am able to get done by the time they get in.

No babysitting and phones. My best hours of production and creativity are between 5pm & 8am.

Bly

I'm quite a fan of self medication but only when work is finished.

Giving booze to employees is all fun and lets be frens until something goes wrong then it's your arse on the griller.

Work hard then hit the pub if you feel like a drink.

Farmboy

90% of the time when quitting time hits we're all out the door, so no time to crack one open here and It's one of the things I look forward to when I get home. On another note, everyone here deals with customers and I don't think it looks very professional to have alcohol of any kind on your breath. I know everyone can't be grouped into the same category, but most I've seen that drink while working just don't last and also aren't people I want to do business with.

Jillbeans

I am self-employed.
Every once in awhile I will have a beer or two when I'm up in my garage painting.
(I can only drink 3 beers total because I am an extremely cheap date)
I would never drink during the daylight hours anyway.
On one or two jobs I have been offered a drink but I would never drink on a job, just looks unprofessional.
I don't even take an offered water or pop and was mortified once when a pizza shop gave me a big sloppy hoagie. I hate eating around people.
:)
Love....Jill

johnnysigns

100% of the time there's Red wine or at least Port wine here.

90% of Fridays there's at least some scotch and/or beer

55-65 hr weeks here though and it's a pretty unconventional work environment.

OldPaint

GACO5............YOU DIDNT READ DID YOU?
"A traveling carnival worker ".........he might have been from new york, not florida))))))))
MY LIFE AND BOOZE.........could write a book strictly on the subject.
just for some background, you may then understand why I DONT DRINK, hang with people that do or tolerate it in the workplace.
1945 my father got out of the army, had a bad back injury which took him to the VA for surgery. in those days there wasnt any WELFARE or insurance that he had to pay for rent, food, electric. so my mother being the daughter of a Italian family who had been in business when she was young, decided to support me and my dad with a quick high paying, low overhead business..........she started a "SPEAK EASY" and ran poker game on the weekends)))))) she sold beer, whiskey and played poker. she was good at cards, won a lot of the time and also took a 10% cut of each pot. she also got arrested numerous times, but the judge knew her and why she was doing this while my dad was laid up in the VA hospital. he would fine her $10 send her home.
1950 she bought a grocery store with the money she made from the "speak easy."
1957 she bought a BAR/LIQUOR and turned the grocery store into a bar. this is where i met my 1st "shaky jake" sign painter. and my 2nd sign painter who was a local guy.
long story short, all the people i looked up to and wanted to be like..........WAS DRUNKS)))))))))))
i never was one............as hard as i tried, just never got the hang of "beer"....to this day it is still the nastiest tasting stuff ever.
so when i say, i never met a drunk that set out to become one.......... i know what iam talking about.
seen to many things like an E.R. nurse told me once...........most of the stupid schit people do when hurting themselves enough to be in the E.R.............WAS PRECEDED BY A 12 PACK AND...........HEY WATCH THIS)))))

mark in tx

The only employees I've ever had to fire were the ones that thought it was ok to drink or smoke weed during business hours.

I don't care what people do in their own personal life, but I'm not paying you to be drunk or stoned.

Nothing wrong with an occasional Friday afternoon BBQ with a few beers on the company dime, it just can't get out of hand.

CP Signs

Roflmao. My buddy came to the, shop, around 9:30 last night. He wanted to do, ski-doo numbers. We cracked a beer, he sat at my computer to design it,,,, and what do you know,,,,,, he used Comic Sans. Lol.