• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Box Truck Wrap - New look!

HulkSmash

I guess what I meant to say didn't come off as intended. I'm not saying you shouldn't make your customer happy or do what they insist, what I AM saying, is maybe you can slightly tweak the overall size or layout so a letter isn't TOTALLY obscured and accomplish both goals. There are many subtle things you can do to work around mouldings like that, in some instances perhaps it's better to slightly adjust a letter one way or the other so it's not cut off. Maybe letters get cut or split in slightly different places so one isn't totally obscured. I don't think it's an either-or situation.

I might have suggested letter spacing similar to the top layout, with all the effects below the type of the bottom version. Do something like that, and you accomplish both.

Again, just my humble $.02 it looks like a mistake to me, but I am always reminded few people have the eye of us designers nor do they care! But if the customer is happy, in the end that's all that matters, for sure.

Have you done a wrap before? I have A MFA. in Graphic Design Print Design. 5 years of college plus another 2 for the masters. It's not that "they don't care"
It's all about being realistic. I think his layout that he suggested was fine, but if the customer wants something that big, and you let him know what's going to happen
there's really nothing you can do about it. you can space the letters out, but then i'd have to be so much it'll look like separate words.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks very good to me, nice work all around.
One thing I'll ask,
After all that happened in the Gulf with the oil rig blow out why did they want a graphic of what looks like oil dropping into a pool of water on their trucks?

wayne k
guam usa

ForgeInc

Hey Colorado, why you all up in my grill when all I did was offer a suggestion/comment? I noticed you edited your "have you done a wrap" to add all your credentials and degrees.

Good for you, more power to ya! All I did was offer up a suggestion and comment... not even directed at you! I'm not clear why you're all up in my face claiming I'm ignorant or something. If you disagree with my comments and think it is OK to completely obscure part of a logo's letterforms, fine, no need to go listing all your book learning n stuff and claiming ignorance on my part.

I simply stated my opinion and some thoughts to think about for future applications, that's all. If you really wanna go back and forth with me on our respective design backgrounds, education, and credentials I am happy to do so in private!

HulkSmash

Hey Colorado, why you all up in my grill when all I did was offer a suggestion/comment? I noticed you edited your "have you done a wrap" to add all your credentials and degrees.

Good for you, more power to ya! All I did was offer up a suggestion and comment... not even directed at you! I'm not clear why you're all up in my face claiming I'm ignorant or something. If you disagree with my comments and think it is OK to completely obscure part of a logo's letterforms, fine, no need to go listing all your book learning n stuff and claiming ignorance on my part.

I simply stated my opinion and some thoughts to think about for future applications, that's all. If you really wanna go back and forth with me on our respective design backgrounds, education, and credentials I am happy to do so in private!

I'm not even trying to be a jerk. sorry it came across that way. It's just doing so many wraps a week gives you a different perspective on things. You come out and say people who don't know about design don't think like you? You just came across as ignorant in your past couple of comments.

and you saying i would never let something like that leave the shop - is far from a suggestion.

it's all good though. Have a good one!

ForgeInc

I guess that's the problem with written conversations, sometimes tone is misinterpreted. For what it's worth, when I said "most people don't have an eye like a designer, nor do they care" it wasn't intended as a put down towards anyone in here, what I meant to imply is that the average Joe consumer looking at this wrap or any other wrap would never notice the minor details I was talking about, so it's therefore not too important an issue.

But that said, (for better or worse I'm not sure), no...I personally would never let a wrap out like that. I can't take my dang eye off of that "s" that is totally obscured.

Other than that, I think it looks fine.

TheSnowman

Looks great...was the old truck cut or wrap vinyl? I'm hoping for your sake it wasn't cut...that'd suck to remove.

TheSellOut

Thankfully they bought all new trucks and boxes to replace the old ones, so no vinyl removal was necessary...I try to pass that responsibility onto the customer any time I can if it has to be done.

The original trucks were all cut vinyl which I decorated quite a few since winning the account.

I have to say working on a brand new truck is awesome...I did a thorough cleaning on the entire truck before wrapping it and I pulled very little dirt off the thing. Even along the seams, crevices, and around the framing!

TheSellOut

One thing I'll ask,
After all that happened in the Gulf with the oil rig blow out why did they want a graphic of what looks like oil dropping into a pool of water on their trucks

That's a good point GAC...This was one of a few concepts I designed for them, and honestly that impression (for some reason) never crossed my mind. My thought process was going along with their tag line, that long after the initial sale...their service would still be there.

TheSellOut

Forge, I see what you mean and am going to try and adjust the spacing a bit on these next two trucks to hopefully get away from the hinges more. This was my first box truck wrap/design and during installation we tried to adjust the placement of the panels the best we could to get the most viewing area of the letters.

TheSellOut

So if you have been following this thread you are aware that I have 2 more box trucks to wrap. They are both 28' boxes and the original one posted was a 22'.

Since I have an extra 6' on this truck I thought I would try again to get my client to change the layout a bit.

#1 is once again how they want it with me attempting to space out the lettering as best I can to avoid total obscurity. Not only am I going through the door again But I am also asked to stretch their lettering to fill the space. Great...why listen to me..!

#2 & #3 are the new layouts I purposed in which the lettering is the same exact size that is on the 22' and is clearly all visible...I kept the drop off the door and with the lettering this time as they were not too keen on that previously.

I was rejected and told to print #1 and last night decided that I am going to make one last attempt this morning by telling the customer... that by making me wrap this truck as in layout #1, it will be taking away any chance that this vehicle possibly has in competing in any vehicle graphic design competitions (such as the ones at SignWorld USA) or getting in any magazines...it will sound much more polite than it likely reads...

I'll let you know how that goes...

GAC this last attachment is a full color and a four color logo with a ripple effect that I added to the new logo ...which is where the pool of lubricant idea sparked from for the box truck...not that it makes it any better...

Attachments

• WL_NEW Wrap_1.jpg
    WL_NEW Wrap_1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 93
  • WL_NEW Wrap_2.jpg
    WL_NEW Wrap_2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 99
  • WL_NEW Wrap_3.jpg
    WL_NEW Wrap_3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 86
  • WL_Logo NEW.jpg
    WL_Logo NEW.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 80

TheSellOut

Not that anybody cares and I am starting not to care anymore either but looks like we are going with #1...

...sorry just needed to rant

ForgeInc

like so?

You're close. This is rough as I had to use photoshop but I would try something like this....

Attachments

• attachment cm.jpg
    attachment cm.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 96

TheSellOut

Hey Forge, Thanks for the expertise! Those minor adjustments look as if they could make all the difference! Now I just have to make sure my measurements are right on!!