• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles in Lettering

deadline

Have a customer complaining about little bubbles in Avery cast cut vinyl lettering. The film is very thin and you can't see the bubbles from 6 feet away, but upon close inspection on some of the bigger letters you can see bubbles. Either from inconsistency in the paint job or maybe particles trapped. He wants them pulled off and reapplied without small bubbles. Since we were only charging a small amount to do the whole van, and this is the second time he has had us reprint letters because of little things that he wanted replaced. I don' t know how to handle the situation. We are definitely losing money on the job, and I can't guarantee there won't be any bubbles on the next letters. What to do?

Billct2

Since we were only charging a small amount to do the whole van, and this is the second time he has had us reprint letters because of little things that he wanted replaced.
:banghead:

Techman

We are definitely losing money on the job, and I can't guarantee there won't be any bubbles on the next letters. What to do?

Quit.
Quit making a product that fails. Quit doing this work until you get qualified to install vinyl without bubbles. Quit low balling the work price so low you cannot make a profit even if there is a mistake. Quit acting like an apprentice and get the proper training to make a good install.

Learn to install vinyl as if it were painted on.

klingsdesigns

If they are big bubbles get a popper tool and pop them, if they are small they will flatten out when it sits in the sun.

rdm01

Small bubbles will disappear in time. Particles trapped will not.

Keep the van clean, and have proper squeegee technique to avoid this. Getting it right the first time will ensure that you are able to charge full price if something needs to be redone on his end.

If they are indeed tiny air bubbles, and you are confident in this, and they are as small as you say, I would say they will be gone in no time. If there is doubt whether it is particulate or if they are large than you let on, I would replace one final time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

:ROFLMAO:..... ha, it must be in the drinking water, huh ??

Bubbles in Lettering

Have a customer complaining about little bubbles in Avery cast cut vinyl lettering. The film is very thin and you can't see the bubbles from 6 feet away, but upon close inspection on some of the bigger letters you can see bubbles. Either from inconsistency in the paint job or maybe particles trapped. He wants them pulled off and reapplied without small bubbles. Since we were only charging a small amount to do the whole van, and this is the second time he has had us reprint letters because of little things that he wanted replaced. I don' t know how to handle the situation. We are definitely losing money on the job, and I can't guarantee there won't be any bubbles on the next letters. What to do?

Okay, this whole paragraph has so many twisted thoughts, it ain't even funny. When I see this kinda stuff, I first look at the OP's profile and try to get an understanding.

Soooo....... I did and I don't understated.

• Based upon all the stuff you claim you can do in your profile, you shouldn't be having bubble problems to the degree your customer is complaining, unless you're lousy.
  • Next, what all went wrong the first time, that you ended up doing it a second time...... on your dime ??
  • Further more, why are you working for beans ??

How and where are all these lowballers coming from ?? Has some spaceship landed with sign gooks on them ?? Has someone somewhere published a book of how to ruin an industry in 10 easy lessons ??
You want someone to tell you how to correct your mistakes and still look good, so you can re-charge for your mistakes ?? I don't know about the administration here or other sign shops on this site, but this stuff is just getting to be out-a-hand.

Why don't we just put together a curriculum on how to do certain things in the sign industry.... as our name suggests Signs 101 and have people pass a test before they start hurting innocent customers and asking questions here ??

I'm honestly at the point, I can't tell if these are backyard hacks, do-it-yourselfers or just p!ss poor sign people. This is the only thing that takes place anymore, besides font finding and where to buy cheap ink.

:frustrated:

Sign Works

How does one come up with a budget for a printer yet not take the time to learn proper vinyl application techniques? WOW!

Bly

You didn't notice the bubbles before handing over to the client?

Quality control fail right there.

MikePro

you've shown your weakness, and your client won't stop exposing it until you completely stop asking for payment.
you should be standing your ground, declaring that the vehicle is lettered per your agreement... even though you are secretly ashamed of your product/install skills.

S'N'S

Park it facing the sun for a few days, the heat will expand the metal and pull the bubbles down, when it cools....bubbles be gone.
When you say bubbles, do you mean just a few or heaps & heaps?
If its particles under the vinyl they will always be seen.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
1.If you can't do them dry without bubbles do them wet.
2. Search the web for correct squeegee use - practice with scraps until you can do them dry in your sleep.

wayne k
guam usa

TXFB.INS

just like any other profession you MUST practice and practice the right way to be consider proficient

you tube is you friend for watching ways to do the install.

also switch to an air release or apply wet if you can't master the bubbles

shoresigns

The film is very thin and you can't see the bubbles from 6 feet away, but upon close inspection on some of the bigger letters you can see bubbles. Either from inconsistency in the paint job or maybe particles trapped.

Did anyone read the original post, or did you all just jump on the bandwagon of assuming the OP is an amateur? Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. If the error is as minor as he says it is, you don't redo a job because there's a nick in the paint underneath the vinyl, or there's a speck of dust here and there.

The sign is there to serve a function, and there's always a viewing distance that factors into that. Redoing a job for a speck of dust on a vehicle graphic is as ridiculous as redoing a wall mural because the seam is off by 1/8", or redoing a billboard because you can see a bit of banding from 3 feet away.

That said, if I'm going to be helpful at all, I would recommend you confidently tell your customer that vehicle graphics are not designed to look perfect from 6 inches away and that there is always a margin of error. The bubbles are within the normal margin of error (if they in fact are), and they're likely to go away on their own anyway. Specks of dust and scratches/nicks in the paint will not go away, but regardless, your rule of thumb is that if it looks fantastic from 8-12 feet away, then the graphics will serve their purpose well and your job is done.

If you were going to make it as perfect as they expect you to, then they've set their expectations far too high and for no valid reason, other than perfectionism. The sign is there to serve a function, not look perfect under a microscope.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if his vehicle freshly painted?
If so, it could be out gas from the paint and I wouldn't even attempt to remove it unless he signs a release of liability in case the paint comes off with the vinyl.

kanini

Had someone using my "good" squeegee from my toolbelt without me knowing about it. When I applied some lettering on a van with it later on, the result was tiny bubbles as a result of nicks and grooves in the squeegee. The bubbles went away within a week (the customer didn't mind though we looked at it and I pointed it out to him when he picked up the van), and the squeegee was thrown away. If you otherwise master the applying without bubbles and suddently get these it could be a good idea to check/replace the squeegee also.

Mosh

our these stickers or is it printed on one of those rap macheens? I have probims with lots of cat hare in my shop, you got 32 cittys runnig around you bound two get some hare in their.

Last edited: