• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Business Management - 6/16/2020 - open discussion

peerlessdani

I like this approach, however, how do you know minute by minute how long something is going to take? There are plenty of things we do everyday that could take 5 minutes or an hour depending on the circumstances. For instance, digging a hole for a sign post. Simple task but many factors are determined to calculate the completion time.
Digging a hole for a job isn't part of 5S.

peerlessdani

We do 5s at my place of work and each employee's name is listed next to a given 5s for the week. Each task also has the amount of time needed to complete and right next to that list is a breakdown of what all is needed to do to perform the 5s correctly. I feel like it works very well in keeping our place of work running in a smooth manner. Free from clutter and messes.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We do 5s at my place of work and each employee's name is listed next to a given 5s for the week. Each task also has the amount of time needed to complete and right next to that list is a breakdown of what all is needed to do to perform the 5s correctly. I feel like it works very well in keeping our place of work running in a smooth manner. Free from clutter and messes.
You dont “perform the 5s.” It is a management system for organization. What Im talking about with my schedule board isnt 5s, it is a work process. Youre referring to something your company did for shop tasks which is part of the 5th S - sustain. We also have a seperate board for that. Once you implement 5s, you only work in sustain as the first 4 steps have already been completed.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I am always trying to improve my work flow. I am a one person shop. I have plastic job boxes for each job. I have 36 active boxes right now. It's imperative that I have them organized and in "flow" because looking through 36 boxes 7 times a day is NOT an option.

If I need something to make my process easier I BUY IT.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Always, always, always!

I can't tell you how many shops I've worked where they always skimped things like that...and it usually cost them more in wasted time.

JB

nssignguy

I don't know anything about 5S but how is it even possible to have every minute planned throughout the day? What about problems as you go, bathroom breaks, chit chat etc. It seems to me this would make the work place more stressful because if you don't follow minute by minute then you are in trouble! Am I missing something? Please clarify!

5s is tough and takes a lot of time and dedication to get it right. Im not there yet.
It can also be taken overboard like anything else.
I went from an approach of heres what needs to get done and letting employees work from that to a daily schedule outlining every task throughout the day almost minute by minute. It looks like micromanaging but it has greatly increased production and lowered the stress level of employees. They know exactly what they are expected to do during the whole day, how long it should take and what they are doing next. There are no surprises, no more asking whats next and no more why did that take so long.

Notarealsignguy

I don't know anything about 5S but how is it even possible to have every minute planned throughout the day? What about problems as you go, bathroom breaks, chit chat etc. It seems to me this would make the work place more stressful because if you don't follow minute by minute then you are in trouble! Am I missing something? Please clarify!
7-12 work on job 123
1-3 work on job 234
3-4 job 555
4-5 job 567
There every minute is accounted for
Each person has their own tasks and schedule for them.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I thought it was

10:00am-10:43am (PAINT)
10:43am-10:50pm (Take a crap)
10:50am-10:51am (Wash hands)
10:51am-10:52am (walk back to paint job)
10:52am-11:25am (finish paint)

Notarealsignguy

I am always trying to improve my work flow. I am a one person shop. I have plastic job boxes for each job. I have 36 active boxes right now. It's imperative that I have them organized and in "flow" because looking through 36 boxes 7 times a day is NOT an option.

The hardest thing is trying to find a way to manage the work that isnt a job within itself. I still like paper, its fast and easy.

MI Bearcat

I thought it was

10:00am-10:43am (PAINT)
10:43am-10:50pm (Take a crap)
10:50am-10:51am (Wash hands)
10:51am-10:52am (walk back to paint job)
10:52am-11:25am (finish paint)

Hmmm. Seems like my employees schedules are walk in door, punch in, go to bathroom and take 15 minute crap.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The hardest thing is trying to find a way to manage the work that isnt a job within itself. I still like paper, its fast and easy.
Me too. I tried software but I keep going back to a paper work order on a job box. Maybe it would be different if I had several employees.

Evan Gillette

Me too. I tried software but I keep going back to a paper work order on a job box. Maybe it would be different if I had several employees.
On that subject, what software have you tested? I have worked with several over the last few years (not just in the sign industry) and my favorite seems to be Asana. Lately, we have been testing a very simplified shared spreadsheet with status and minimal job info and it has been pretty good. I like having the option of a full blown CRM, PLM, and task management system ready to roll out for scaling when the time comes, but as most of us know the big challenge is fitting the variety of jobs into the system. It's painful to justify paperwork and entry/tracking of two vinyl DOT numbers that are out the door in less time than in takes to make the invoice...

Stacey K

I like making signs
On that subject, what software have you tested? I have worked with several over the last few years (not just in the sign industry) and my favorite seems to be Asana. Lately, we have been testing a very simplified shared spreadsheet with status and minimal job info and it has been pretty good. I like having the option of a full blown CRM, PLM, and task management system ready to roll out for scaling when the time comes, but as most of us know the big challenge is fitting the variety of jobs into the system. It's painful to justify paperwork and entry/tracking of two vinyl DOT numbers that are out the door in less time than in takes to make the invoice...
I've tried a couple task management programs and a couple other ones I can't remember, free trials only. If I had employees I can see using them. I have a receipt book I use for smaller jobs or I print a "walk in customer" invoice. Yes, can be a pain to record but I can't tell you how often someone wants a reprint and thank goodness I wrote down the vinyl color!

One thing I do use on my desktop is "Fences" - it's basically a folder but you can see everything in it. I have Artwork, Proof Out, In Production, On Order, On HOLD, Common Jobs, Personal, File. It helps greatly in keeping my files in order...but it's only good if I use it every day :) (screenshots from Google)

Attachments

• fences-windows-xp-screenshot.jpg
    fences-windows-xp-screenshot.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 167
  • fences.png
    fences.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 175

Reveal1

What in your opinion is the most effective method requiring the least amount of my time while wasting the offenders precious time in hope they will think twice about wasting my time in the future (because I wasted X amount of their time). So I suppose if your a math guy you could have a formula, but I feel this is an interpersonal communication aspect that you just may have advice on that could help me be a better leader and hopefully not have to beat these people any more.
Colo, I wasted 30 seconds trying to understand that. Mission accomplished.