• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

business name

Joe Diaz

This is totally a personal opinion, but I believe the best way to enter the sign business, the way that will more likely result in success, is to first try working for an established sign business.

Now hear me out on this… What better way to learn about the sign business, then by getting some on the job training from established professionals while receiving a steady paycheck. I think you’ll get more questions answered in the first week of work then you could in two months trying to figure it out on your own or by visiting a sign forum.

Now again I’m going to point out that this is strictly an opinion, and this doesn’t apply to everyone. Keep in mind I’m trying to be helpful here: I’ve seen a lot of guys take the whole “start out as a hobby that I’m hoping will take off one day” approach, and for a few it might work, but I think for the majority it ends in failure. If you want to see a good example of this in effect, check out eBay, and search for vinyl plotter, (or better yet sticker plotter:smile:). Meanwhile, while you’re trying to get this “hobby” to work out for you, you’re saturating the market and I’m just guessing here, but while starting out you will need to do anything and everything to stay competitive, by lowering prices, using cheaper materials, and selling designs for free. Where as this might temporarily help you, it hurts everyone else, and in the long run damage your own image. People are beginning to expect us to offer dirt cheep prices, and free designs… and they’re expecting everyone’s sign to fail within the first year due to cheep products being used in the place of high performance materials. People began to think that sign makers are a bunch of guys and gals that do this sort of thing as a hobby and now nobody take the whole sign community seriously anymore.

Now in saying all that, I also would like to point out that I’m not upset or anything, just stating observations. But you have to realize why some on here might be upset, especially after asking for some on here to do what we should be getting paid to do, to figure out for you… for free. Without offering anything to us in advance.

So don’t be upset… just understand

Whereas I can’t give you advice on what to name your business (which by the way if your entering a business that revolves around a person’s creative talent, you should really be able to figure out your businesses name on your own), I can give you the advice to try working for an existing sign business first. It’s really the best advice I can give. Then when you are confident in your skills will you be able to successfully go out on your own.

Again… just opinions here.

high impact

I guess most of you was born with the knowledge and the equipment coming from your ass. Im not asking for a logo.Ive already got a name picked out. There will be alot of learning to do, but I have time . This is a hobby that im hoping will take off one day so I can enjoy it just as most of yall do.Im starting small and hoping for it to grow. So yall have a nice day. Who on here didnt start small if not the same way i am?

My equipment and knowledge came from working my a$$ off, not out of my a$$.

ratmotorsports

thanks joe.finally someone who doesnt bash me. For tax write off reasons, I needed a name.Which i decided on last night.I also realize that working in a sign shop would be my best bet for gaining experience.But due to financial reasons i cannot quit my job to go make $8 an hour.thats why I invested in a decent plotter with all the programs needed to get started.I already have a few race cars to letter.At least its a start right!

MobileImpact

Mr. Ratmotorsports,

First of all congrats on figuring out your name. That is a step in the right direction. Secondly, if you felt bashed by my comments, I do apologize.
But jumping into a forum and asking me to name your business is not a very good starting spot. You would have the same luck if you walked into a 7-11 and asked the same question. However if you had introduced yourself a little better and said you were thinking about xyz signs, or ratmotorsports.com or some other name and WHY you were leaning towards them, I feel the forum would have been more than happy to help.

So, again, if we got off on the wrong foot, i do apologize. I wish you the best of fortunes and luck in your venture.

This forum and great group of people WILL NOT do your work for you! We will however be willing to help, but you got to have a starting point somewhere, do the initial research. Give some ideas or concepts. Show that your putting out an effort.

Any ways sorry to rant, and welcome to the group.:Welcome:

Kevin

Shovelhead

thanks joe.finally someone who doesnt bash me. For tax write off reasons, I needed a name.Which i decided on last night.I also realize that working in a sign shop would be my best bet for gaining experience.But due to financial reasons i cannot quit my job to go make $8 an hour.thats why I invested in a decent plotter with all the programs needed to get started.I already have a few race cars to letter.At least its a start right!

So you've decided to not pay your dues and get some experience and knowledge
and dive in anyway and start your own thing?
priceless

Michael

Hi rat, like you, I will be starting my own sign business here soon. I will also start off with a plotter and the materials I will need. But first I will be going to a local sign shop and see if I can't get some part time work on the weekends to get a little more familiar with sign making out of a shop. I run the sign shop for a beer distributor and can actually help the sign shop I will work for get some extra business with some of these businesses that ask me for free signs.

My point is, sign shops can use people part time and I am sure you can go work for one after your done with your primary job, or on the weekends like I will be doing.

weaselboogie

Good Idea michael . No sense in losing all of your first customers because with crappy work if you have not idea of what you're doing. I never worked at a sign shop before I started this, but I wasted a LOT of vinyl learning how to do it before I ever invoiced a job. A sure fire way to get out of business quick is to make your customer your guinea pig.

Redline Signs

Hey Rat--
Here is a slogal for your new business--
"We can't even come up with a name for ourselves, but please trust us with all your creative needs"
Just an idea

ChiknNutz

...I will be starting my own sign business here soon. I will also start off with a plotter and the materials I will need. But first I will be going to a local sign shop and see if I can't get some part time work on the weekends to get a little more familiar with sign making out of a shop...

Sure, why not work FOR the competition then you can BECOME the competition. Hell, maybe even steal the clients while you're at it. What a concept!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, is the name calling over yet ?????

Deciding to open your own business without any prior knowledge is probably rule No One in any line of work. DON’T DO IT.

Do you understand that you just told us, you’re not worth $8.00 an hour at a sign shop, so you’re going to open a business where the only employee, dish washer and vinyl ordering department can’t do squat ??

Does this sound foolish to you ?? If not, then proceed with your business plan.

Otherwise, the only decent comments you got so far and you thanked him for them…. you already are totally ignoring.

Why should anyone waste time helping you ?? I’m Dead Serious on that one buddy.

If I’m not being too personal, what is your regular day gig ??

flisk

I guess most of you was born with the knowledge and the equipment coming from your ass. Im not asking for a logo.Ive already got a name picked out. There will be alot of learning to do, but I have time . This is a hobby that im hoping will take off one day so I can enjoy it just as most of yall do.Im starting small and hoping for it to grow. So yall have a nice day. Who on here didnt start small if not the same way i am?

Of course there is no business plan, it's just a "hobby" after all.
I think that's what gets my goat the most.

"hobby"

No, I was not born with the knowledge of making signs or the equipments coming from my nether-regions. I woked as an sign-shop lacky for almost 7 years before I decided to go-it on my own. I then went out and purchased some software that helped my write my business plan. From there I locked myself away in my home office for about 15 days eating, sleeping, BREATHING that business plan as it developed. I then took that plan, printed it out put it into a fancy binder, took that binder to 4 different banks in the area and finally managed to speak with one that saw the hard work and research that went into putting it together.

I got the loan, went and purchased the equipment I needed, flew to California (Irvine - Roland University) and took a short course on the machines I had purchased. I knew the machines from the previous years experience of WORKING in a sign shop, but what I got from Roland was ever so much more than icing on the cake.

I did not start small. I knew EXACTLY what I needed to do to make the kind of money I wanted to make. I knew EXACTLY what type of computers I needed. I knew EXACTLY what type of printers, plotters, heat presses, mug-presses, panel-saw, coroplast cutter, table size, file cabinets, etc that I needed BEFORE I even stepped foot 1 into "hoping for it to grow".

Seriously, I knew every bit of equipment that I needed before I ever started turning out my 1st sign. I knew it all from my Roland plotter right now to the number of stamps and paperclips I needed.

If you are going to be in business for yourself, you HAVE to know that kind of stuff. You cannot simply just wake up one day and go "I think I'll start a sign business today." It's just not that easy.

Joe Diaz

Yeah rat… I think you’re kind of diggin your self into a deeper hole here. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you don’t have a whole lot of respect for what some of us do here, at least that is what some of us are hearing. Let me say it a bit different. Maybe it isn’t that you lack respect but it is possible that you lack the understanding. The whole $8.00 an hour comment proves that you have much to learn about this business. You’re darn right you’ll start off at $8.00 an hour if you don’t know what you’re doing, what makes you think you’ll do any better on your own. In fact, I’ll even make the prediction that you’ll make far less then $8.00 an hour doing it on your own if you lack the necessary skills to be a good sign maker. This by no means is a get rich quick business and many of us know that. And, if you do want to get there quicker, like I said, work for some one else first. You can’t just buy a plotter the software and some vinyl and be on you merry little way. It takes time, knowledge and skill, which is stuff that you can develop over time and isn’t out of anyone’s reach but it sure as hell isn’t as easy as some make it out to be. You have to work you’re way from the bottom to the top just like any other job.

I guess it kind of irks me that some would think of what I do for a living as just a hobby, or worst yet an easy hobby. It also bothers me that so many think of this business as anything different than any other normal business were you have to work hard and/or be damn good at what you do to be successful.

Look at it as more then you’ll just be earning an $8.00 an hour paycheck, look at it as learning all the skills and knowledge that you don’t already know. Why would this business be any different. Otherwise you’re just taking up room and taking valuable jobs away form others… In which case I would suggest, don’t quit your day job.

Anyway I really do wish you all the best and I’m sure your heart is in the right place. The fact that you are even interested in doing what I love to do every day means we share something in common, but you should understand that allot of us take what we do seriously and allot of us are very willing to help people that deserve it. You have to ask yourself do you deserve it?

OldPaint

dontchajust luvit????
lookin at this ..... newbie thru eyes that have seen a well paid group of ARTISTS(us old sign painters)who started in this business CAUSE WE HAD TALENT......thats all was required , BUT not everybody could jump into this without it.
NOW...it aint talent, not required....... now its HOW MUCH MONEY & HOW BIG A PRINTER you can buy!!!!! dont need no talent....i can get what little i need from them guys on 101 for free...JUST FOR THE ASKING!
to many here jump in feet first cause they dont wana pay those WHO ARE TALENTED to do work they belive they can do cheaper.....
sad state of affairs its come to.
clipart, computer, printer...AND YOU IS IN DA SIGN BIZZ-NESS!!!!!!
as for you doin stock cars....POST SOME PIC OF YOUR WORK......which will look like everybody elses work ill bet....single color number, brush hand script for drivers name, brush hand for some sponsor name, helvetica for another...or if you print only it will be so messed up with EYE CANDY BACKGROUNDS you cant make out the text......yep no talent needed.
yep...and i did it CHEAPER THEN THE SIGN SHOP WOULDA CHARGED....))))))))))))

Aardy54@54-Design

Well, I didnt spend a few years as employee at a sign shop, only 13 months - but went in with a lil exp in Flexi, Photoshop, Illy, vinyl & plotter and still had to start out at $6/hr doing the grunt work of weeding and cleaning ... Joe D., OP & others are very right, you need to start at the bottom and work up like I'll bet 90% of others here did when they started out in the sign trade.

ratmotorsports

i never said i didnt respect people who do this for a living.I understand it takes a wealth of knowledge to be successful at this PROFESSION.im sorry if ive pissed SIGN PROFESSIONALS off.i will continue to try to learn as much as i can from this site.i also have friends in this field that i will learn from also.so now that thats said get off my back. i have a plan and im going to stick with it. my buisness name has been chosen so this thread should be dropped.thanks to all for the advice and piss off for the ones who bashed.