• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

business name

gvgraphics

i never said i didnt respect people who do this for a living.I understand it takes a wealth of knowledge to be successful at this PROFESSION.im sorry if ive pissed SIGN PROFESSIONALS off.i will continue to try to learn as much as i can from this site.i also have friends in this field that i will learn from also.so now that thats said get off my back. i have a plan and im going to stick with it. my buisness name has been chosen so this thread should be dropped.thanks to all for the advice and piss off for the ones who bashed.

Lets Play Hang Man..................

F_ _ _ Y_ _ !

I stayed out of this one as long as I could. Some of the best in this business are here on S101. They gave you true advice to the nature of this beast. It is not a get rich quick business, we all have busted our a@@ to get where we are now. To tell them to piss off is out of line. You started this thread asking about a business name, then you ended it and said BYE! Then you came back and stated that $8/hour you couldn't do, Our new guy gets paid $8/hour, just what he should, as he learns the trade and advances in his skills he will be paid more.

You have had an attitude since the beginning of this post, so you go piss off and learn a little respect.

Joe Diaz

Your issue aside, my message isn’t just geared towards yourself, but anyone else who might come across this post that is also in your shoes. I haven’t been in this business near as long as a lot of people on here, people like… lets say… old paint. So I’m not even sure if my advice would have any merit at all.

How true, newcomers should be required to work for a cantankerous old sign painter for a few years.

It’s funny but I somewhat agree with this statement. I’m not sure if you were half kidding or not, but I truly believe that there is a lot to learn for these old timers that did everything by hand. Hell, I still work for one of them. And, where as I’m the first to admit that I’m no painter, I have all the respect and have received more knowledge then I can ever return to the artist that can.

They worked in a time when you needed talent to even get started in this business. And, even though I still believe that, even today, a person needs some talent to be successful, I often wish that it were more like the old days that my dad preaches about… which oddly sounds familiar to OP’s ranting.

I think we have made a mistake in this industry by making our craft too obtainable to any average person. While I welcome new people and their right to be apart of, in my opinion, the best job in the world, I wish we could weed out the people that don’t take it seriously like I do. The people that will inevitably fail at their little business venture but ultimately leave their mark... A negative mark that hurts the industry as a whole.

So rat, I’m not trying to upset you, and I’m not saying that you are one of these guys. I’m saying don’t be one of these guys.

If I were you, I would see past all the “bashing” I know it’s hard, and look at the advice and more importantly the reason why some on this post are upset. You can learn a lot from what happened here. You came on here asking one question but I think some on here have answered a completely different and more important one.

Just curious, what did you decide to go with for the name, being that is what this post started out as?

wildhock

Maybe next time you will start off with a basic introduction/contribution rather than just a handout for a business name.......No wait, I am sorry....that makes too much sense.

Service Sign Co

Mr Diaz I wasan't kidding at all about the cantankerous statement ,The old timers wouldn't put up with one second of smart asses and had zero tolerance for any mistake, that's how they weeded out the blow hards. If you think sign painters are rough,try working for an older engineer that still designed automated equipment the old way, with a pencil

OldPaint

i never said i didnt respect people who do this for a living.I understand it takes a wealth of knowledge to be successful at this PROFESSION.im sorry if ive pissed SIGN PROFESSIONALS off.i will continue to try to learn as much as i can from this site.i also have friends in this field that i will learn from also.so now that thats said get off my back. i have a plan and im going to stick with it. my buisness name has been chosen so this thread should be dropped.thanks to all for the advice and piss off for the ones who bashed.
yep....your gona be a real f... suckcess story with that attitude. in the whole quote above....
you want people to get off youre back(you bring it on yourself)and the last statemnt you make..."thanks to all for the advice and piss off for the ones who bashed."
yea you really got the purpose of what most was sayin to ya.....you take it as bashing....and i revert back to what i said (you bring it on yourself)hopefully you will grow up or find some other thing you think youre capable of doing ...LIKE AIRCRAFT MECHANIC OR BRAIN SURGEON)))))))))))))))))
talkin to you is like peein in the wind......

Joe Diaz

Mr Diaz I wasan't kidding at all about the cantankerous statement ,The old timers wouldn't put up with one second of smart asses and had zero tolerance for any mistake, that's how they weeded out the blow hards. If you think sign painters are rough,try working for an older engineer that still designed automated equipment the old way, with a pencil

That is what I figured but wasn’t sure… Anyway, I thought some of you would get a kick out of this. We have two buildings, an office and a shop. We want to keep people out of the shop for a number of reasons safety being one of them, the other is that we don’t want customer’s first impression to be our messy paint and wood shop, but more importantly we don’t want them bothering the old man while he’s painting or pinstriping. So here's the front door.

Attachments

• shop door 001.JPG
    shop door 001.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 147

MobileImpact

with all the crap this thread has been through was wondering if we are ever gonna hear the jewel of a name that mr.happy has come up with?

Disappearing Signs
Undecided Graphics
Help Me Signs
Bye-Bye Signs
Piss-Off Pix

Any others?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With a little bit of Michael Jackson in the background……​

So beat it………………. Just beat it…………….
Doesn’t matter s who’s wrong or right………………. Just beat it………….

Attachments

• jackson.jpg
    jackson.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Joe Diaz

Part of me thinks this whole post is started by a veteran sign person trying to push buttons or something… It’s just too perfect if you know what I mean… But I’ll play along anyway. It is pretty entertaining after all. My advice, whether this guy is real or not, would be:

I honestly would stick with that name (and slogan) if you like dealing with the worst breed of customers and if you have no problem with getting paid very little for something that you should and could get more for. If by slim chance you do make it in this industry, it is going to be difficult to ever fight the stereotype of being a cheap lowballer shop. Sure it may at first help to advertise that you are cheaper then the competition, but the average consumer will also expect a cheap product and you will never live that reputation down, even if you do ever raise your prices (which most every one in this industry does and needs to do). I believe announcing that you are cheap isn’t the best strategy for this type of business. You rarely see this strategy work for a custom craft business like ours unless the business happens to be a larger franchise style company which you are not.

I said earlier don’t be one of those guys… right now it sound like you are becoming one of those guys. And if you do become one of these “price cutters” the only long term effect you will make is a negative one for this whole industry. Just my opinion; take it or leave it.

P.S. love the Graphi”x” touch.:Big Laugh

slappy

wow! where the heck have i been? My hormones are still boiling somewhat and wished i could have released some here.... but i'm confused as to what is going one cause of the edited post

oh well....