• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying A "real" Cutter

Its already been ordered and its better than the P.O.S that I have trying to work with. I used all of my "emergency" fundage so I will have to make do until I can turn some more orders.

Ken

High Impact Mark ( or anyone else)..what is the cost difference between a CE and Pro FC?
I'm thinking I'll use my current cutter as an emergency back up and would be wise to do an upgrade at this point. My best price(regionally) for the CE5000 (24 inch) is $2K
Thanks.
Ken

asignstop

If I were to buy a new cutter today, I would go with the Q series from sign warehouse. I think Graphtec makes them (although I heard there are made in Taiwan, and Graphtec is a Japanese company right?). Plus if I had plans to grow it would be nice to know I could add contour cutting later – and go 30" – (even though I will admit most of my rolls are 24”)

ken - you can get the ce5000 from ordway for $1500 at signsupply.com and the 30 inch pro fc runs $3000. The dude I have been dealing with has been totally helpful and it includes shipping.

Ken

Thanks..twice as much for the FC series.I dunno, I am not running my machines every day, 8 hours a day. I dont think the extra 1500 is correct for me. I'm thinking the ce series machine is my choice..still would like to hear from High Imact ....does this fit a low-volume shop?
Ken

ColorDoctor

G R A P H T E C....and not a bad idea to get a w i d e one.....ie 40"min...WHY??? Less splits-Customers LOVE one piece layouts and scale drawouts.....!!!!!!!!!!!...........Have had a 2100-90A for over 15 years-NEVER A PROBLEM.....N E V E R! :thumb:

iSign

Had my CE 1000-60 going on 9 years. Never once had problems except ruined a teflon strip 8 years ago which was my own fault... and 2 years ago the front sensor needed replacing. 24" was good enough for my shop untill I got my 63" printer, but I got a 63" cutter then anyway.

I still use the Graphtec almost every day. Hardly ever even change blades... just keeps spitting out perfect cuts year after year...

not sure what more durability would be for... maybe for careless employees dropping things on it?

Mine runs like a champ, so I'd expect you'll be real happy with yours too.

Munch

In need of some feedback...since you are on the subject of cutters.
I primarly deal in printed graphics (grandformat) and wideformat print/cut.
I have been thinking of getting an entry level cutter for cut support of vinyls.
I have been eyeballing the Roland GX-24. Is this a good idea or should I reposition by view of the "box"?

jiarby

I have had the CE5000 for about 3 months, it has mostly worked ok... after I greased up the blade holder that was sticking in day#1.
I would like to get rid of it and get a 48-60" cutter & LAM.

high impact

Ken,

Sorry for late reply, I was out of town with my son taking ATV safety classes so we can go to the dunes next month.

Ken and Isign, I had an old ce about 4 years ago I inherited along with an out of business shop's inventory. It was great - actually much better then the the ce-5000 I sent back.

I guess I am too used to the pro series to settle for missing some of the bells and whistles. Yes, it's $1500 difference from the ce ($1495)to fc ($2995) locally BUT well worth it IMO. Mine does not run 8 hours a day either...

I actually used that ce-5000 for about 1 week and couldn't stand it so I did return it. HOWEVER, for a part-timer with limited funds and limited room AND not used to the high end features then it should be fine...much better then some of the alternatives. It's just my opinion - the ce-5000 seemed VERY cheap to me. I do not intend to offend anyone who has one, please do not get upset. I had a SW panther for about a year and would compare it to that quality - the fc pro series is a level above.

os101king

CE SERIES IS (now) JUNK. In response to those with long-term relationships with them, I offer the possibility that they've gone the low-rent route with the CE series in the last couple years. THREE FAILURES with a CE5000-120 (in eight months, and I treat my machines BETTER than my children). So bad is the problem with that series that my supplier offered me an FC7000 (new) even after 8 months of my lease at just the cost difference. They are not even going to carry the CE series anymore due to all the issues. I would not downplay Graphtec though, the FC loaner I have until my new machine comes in is the friggin ROCK OF GIBRALTAR of plotters. Rock solid, laser straight.
Personally, I don't think a machine that barely works is good enough for even a part-timer. If you're going to spend, spend wisely. As Ken said, he liked his OLD CE, but the new one isn't up to snuff. Remember when Motorola phones were the proverbial "bomb" and they lasted forever? All companies do it until they get caught. I think Graphtec is about to get "caught" on the CE's.

Long story short BEWARE THE CE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drop the cash. Buy the FC.

gvgraphics

If I were to buy a new cutter today, I would go with the Q series from sign warehouse. I think Graphtec makes them (although I heard there are made in Taiwan, and Graphtec is a Japanese company right?). Plus if I had plans to grow it would be nice to know I could add contour cutting later – and go 30" – (even though I will admit most of my rolls are 24”)

Yes you can ad the ARMS later BUT you have to send it back to them. It has to be installed by a SW tech. Best bet is to get it installed when you buy it. It is only like 250-300 to add it to the cutter.

signguy95

I've had a graphtec FC2100-50, which is a 20" inch cutter (tells you how old it is), for going on 14 years. Only had to send it back one time because the cutting roller got cut up to bad! Mine runs almost all day long every day! Graphtec is a work horse...I'm in the process of finally adding a 30" cutter to our arsenal. It will the another Graphtec FC series!

Jay

peavey123

I use a graphtec FC7000-75 30" cutter and it can't pull a full log of vinyl without getting an error and if you are cutting something longer than a couple feet it will go off track. Its a nightmare...