Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can one buy these cubes?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by PNH Jake, Aug 2, 2010.

1. PNH Jake

PNH Jake Member

Aug 22, 2009
    New Hampshire, USA
    I have a customer that wants a display like the one in the attached photo. Can one buy these cubes somewhere? I know I've used some panel systems that could probably be made into a cube, but it was at a different job and I don't know who the manufacturer was...

Any ideas? (We've talked about building them... but I would like to avoid having to build 16 perfect cubes...)

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    i've never seen them anywhere, but anyone with a cnc router and a V-cut bit should be able to score them out of Di-Bond and you could simply bend them into shape

3. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    try rose displays
    not sure if they can do it but they do some funky stuff

4. PNH Jake

PNH Jake Member

Aug 22, 2009
    New Hampshire, USA
    At first I thought this was a great idea... but then I thought about it -- if I wanted them to be 3'x3' the sheet that the flat cube would be cut from would have to be at least 9'x12'...

5. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    There is an architectural/display company that sells those. They come in a flat box and you assemble them with a screwdriver like all that cheap furniture from Wal-Mart. One of the malls locally had them and I had to assemble them before we could letter them. I glanced through the catalog from the company and it was full of stuff like that for retail display.

From what I remember they were about three times the price they would have been just getting a cabinet shop to build them.

6. B Snyder

B Snyder Very Active Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Could they be made with Sintra and some PVC cement?

7. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    Or do it in two pieces, put together like a baseball gets sewn together. Then your pieces only need to be 3' x 12'.

A box maker could easily put together the box and you could just apply the vinyl to the sides.

What's the display for? Will it remain in one place or does it need to travel from show to show?

8. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    Seems all it would need to be is 3'x9'...too bad they don't make 6'x10' stock...

9. PNH Jake

PNH Jake Member

Aug 22, 2009
    New Hampshire, USA
    They want to be able to move it and re-use it. I'm going to try to push them towards using some sort right angle of clip... that way the cubes can be broken down to be stored and the images can be rearranged or replaced whenever they feel like it.

10. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    Geez I should have thought out the math a little more. 3x9 is correct.

Although 3x3 panels and right angle clips will allow for the easiest transport.

11. PNH Jake

PNH Jake Member

Aug 22, 2009
    New Hampshire, USA
    My reason for saying it would have to be a 9'x12' sheet is that when one "unfolds" a cube it comes out shaped like a cross. 3 panels tall by 4 panels. I would think that if it was going to be done with a router and be folded into shape you would want it to be one piece.

Attached Files:

12. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Duhhhhh ... you could always use panels and some hinges!

13. PNH Jake

PNH Jake Member

Aug 22, 2009
    New Hampshire, USA
    I was trying to give them something a little more finished looking... I could build them out of foam core and velcro, but we are shooting for high end not grade school science fair.

14. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    did u see those at the MGM grand?

15. cOrKinSA

cOrKinSA Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Did something similar to this a long time ago with Sintra and Slotted Coroplast hinges glued to the back to buckle them in place. I sure wish I took pictures of this to explain clearer.

16. PNH Jake

PNH Jake Member

Aug 22, 2009
    New Hampshire, USA
    My customer gave me the photo, I don't know where it came from...

17. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    If you make them as 3 sided sections they would come apart and nest into each other for transport.

18. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    It also occured to me that they don't need tops or bottoms. Then they would simply fold flat when you layed them on their sides.

19. PNH Jake

PNH Jake Member

Aug 22, 2009
    New Hampshire, USA
    They want tops and bottoms...