• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Can you email me the file?"

Colin

I had a classic email last night. I've provided this guy with some really nice laminated-both-sides business cards in the past. About 8 months ago, he moved a couple hours way:

Colin, I just have a short request, would you be so kind and e-mail me the art work for my business card (front and back).

Hi "X". As is standard within the sign & graphic design world, artwork files remain with the business that designed them. Do you need more cards?

Colin, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that I'd paid you for the art work. And yes, I need more cards and if you can match the price of $xxx for 500, and $xxx for 1000 over here for the identical card I will be only too happy to let you supply them (including shipping).

This is business Colin and it hasn't been a great year for me, so every penny counts right now.

Yes, all designers/sign makers etc are paid to do the initial design, but the artwork files belong to the designer unless otherwise arranged.

I don't know if the other cards you are considering are indeed the same or not, and they will likely charge you for set-up on top of their quote. My price for 500 (with full colour on the back) is normally $xxx, and $xxx for 1000. I can offer you the following discounted prices:

500 would be $xxx (about 20% off), and 1000 = $xxx (about 25% off).

I cannot also include shipping with those prices. At least you'll know that they will be exactly the same, and consistent.

I hope that helps.

(No reply so far).

--------------------------------

What would you do? What I heard was: "Hey, can you send me the design you did for me so I can get it done a bit cheaper elsewhere?"

Ken

Yes..I get kinda steamed when this happens..kinda depends on my mood at the time.
I have a preschool that I've done some already discounted work for and it is still apparent they want to shop it around...grrr. I did NOT send them the file that I spent so much time vectorizing from their crappy jpeg.
Cheers!
Ken

Dave Rowland

yes i agree... but depends on your wording in your invoice for "artwork"

did u sell the artwork or did u charge for your time?

Colin

Or offer to sell him the artwork so he doesn't feel "held hostage" to your shop.

Yes, that's a thought. But because he has a "belief" or "impression" that the design inherently belongs to him, I suspect that he would also be offended by that.

Even though I've spelled out how the file isn't his, most people get very attached to their "beliefs" and are not very willing to adjust them, change them or let them go. Michael Shermer has written a book recently about this, called "The believing brain." Very interesting.

Colin

yes i agree... but depends on your wording in your invoice for "artwork"

did u sell the artwork or did u charge for your time?

I actually do the set-up at no extra charge. I already did a small amount of sign work for him over the last few years (where he always ground me down and grumbled about the price). He's cheap.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
"Hey, can you send me the design you did for me so I can get it done a bit cheaper elsewhere?" Yeah... you heard right.

I'd just send him a quote to obtain the rights and after receiving the check send him on his way. Make mention to him that under normal circumstances, this fee is paid before the first transaction takes place, but you were trying to save him his needed pennies. That however, does not result in his not paying... EVER, for the files since he is going elsewhere.

This is why it's so important to outline these things right upfront. Then it can't come back to bite you and make you out to be the bad guy.

Also, does he only use you for business cards and small items or does he get any big purchase items from time to time ?? This could play an important part for future work and what your attitude will be at the moment.​

Colin

Does he only use you for business cards and small items or does he get any big purchase items from time to time? This could play an important part for future work and what your attitude will be at the moment.

He's never bought any significant signage, and likely never will given the nature of his business (which I won't reveal here). He's a one-man-show.

Last edited:

JoshLoring

cajun312 said:
Send him a 72dpi file.......

And readjust the colors so his print jacked up. Just tell him "I can't guarantee printing outside of us because we have strict color calibration and quality standards"

GoodPeopleFlags

Do the cards have his logo (provided by him or designed by you?) and other text in a common font? Or is it a crazy layout that would be difficult for another shop to copy? Just curious.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He's never bought any significant signage, and likely never will given the nature of his business (which I won't reveal here). He's a one-man-show.

Then screw it. Send him a bill and when he pays it, release the file.

Not worth the hassle or the time.

Colin

Do the cards have his logo (provided by him or designed by you?) and other text in a common font? Or is it a crazy layout that would be difficult for another shop to copy? Just curious.

When he first came to me, he was starting his business, but was too cheap to pay for a full-on logo design, so I just did up a nice, simple design for half the price, without going through the whole normal logo design process. That was used on the card, and would be duplicatable, but might take a little work (depending on the person) identifying the 3 unfamiliar fonts. The rest is pretty straight forward, but still needs to all be set-up, and with proper CMYK coding for burgundy and gold ink.

We never hand our artwork that we have had to design for somebody. I think $50 an hour is a pretty reasonable design fee. If you want to buy the artwork and go somewhere else. You pay again for however long it took to design and then we usually add $100 on top of that. I do however like the idea of just giving him a 72 dpi super pixelated .jpg of it for free.

CentralSigns

If you feel real strongly about the artwork. Tweak the colours so they are off. A few shades is hardly noticeable on the computer screen. But a small tweak can be real noticeable on the business card. That way he will not be happy with the new printer.

Marlene

I actually do the set-up at no extra charge

When he first came to me, he was starting his business, but was too cheap to pay for a full-on logo design, so I just did up a nice, simple design for half the price, without going through the whole normal logo design process.

include a line item even if there is no charge that clearly states that the design is for production of...(insert what it is for) by (your company's name) only. all other uses are prohibited. design available by quote or whatever you want to say to make it clear they can buy it for other uses. you can't expect a customer to know what and what not to do when it comes to their artwork. making it clear from the start keeps these requests way down and a lot less chance of hard feelings.

GoodPeopleFlags

When he first came to me, he was starting his business, but was too cheap to pay for a full-on logo design, so I just did up a nice, simple design for half the price, without going through the whole normal logo design process. That was used on the card, and would be duplicatable, but might take a little work (depending on the person) identifying the 3 unfamiliar fonts. The rest is pretty straight forward, but still needs to all be set-up, and with proper CMYK coding for burgundy and gold ink.

Well, seems like he's paid for the "logo design" and you should go ahead and send him that. If he wants the whole card design, $50.00.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Exactly, Marlene.

Colin, don't stoop to these other tricks. That is far less professional than telling him upfront what to expect or not. You have a reputation and regardless if this guy is 4 hours away or still in town..... crap like that can get out. It wouldn't be hard to figure out on his end.

There have been two sayings used today....

• art is in the eye of the beholder
  • the customer is always right

don't go for three

• two wrongs make a right.