• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Code Violation: Can't park my commercial vehicle at my own house?!

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I just got a mail from my city ( Hollywood, FL -USA) that I need to remove the commercial vehicle from my property. My Property. Its a single family home. No Associations. It is not a community. It's a regular street. Not a high scale neighborhood where all we have is Bentleys and stuff. I moved here a couple years ago and there were actual commercial vans and pick up trucks parking on this street since day 1. I just got this suv wrapped up a couple months ago and now I got this mail. This is my daily car. I do not work out of it. It is not a work vehicle. I have my own shop. I do not go to customers houses and work there. The document states that I can only park in the residential area for a limited time while I work at my customer's house. Such a BS. I really tried to keep away from the typical commercial look and tried to do something more like a "custom" graphics.
As I said I have actual AC vans and utility trucks and pick up trucks parking on this street. I guess I gotta talk to those guys. Yes, my car is the craziest / loudest looking because it's more like a custom design but come on...
I would like to avoid using blank magnets to cover up whatever parts on my car. Or getting a car cover. Sometimes I come home and 5-10-15 minutes later might leave a house. So I gotta take the cover off and put it back on every 5 minutes if I gotta go somewhere? The document says they can fine me up to a $1000 every single day! This is ridiculous!
So I get out for 3 minutes and code enforcing person comes by just that time and my car is parking there, uncovered then that's it? i gotta pay a check? up to 1 grand? Every single time this happens???

SignosaurusRex

Make an appointment to meet with your local municipality code compliance dept. director to politely plead your case. Be timely about it. You are a local business owner and tax payer ...with unwritten privileges (never to be mentioned). You might be pleasantly surprised. I've received letters of the same nature myself and it is sometimes surprising how an informal yet professional, expedient, polite and friendly approach results in a meeting of minds.

ams

This is something you can fight. Because they are assuming you are parking it there for advertising or bringing home a work vehicle. You need to let them know it is your personal vehicle.

letterman7

Lots of municipalities say you cannot have a commercial vehicle parked within view of the street if you own it. Check your own local codes. Your fault if you don't research it, sorry. But I'll bet it says something like 'in view of the street', so drive it around back.

2B

in addition to the Muni Code, you also have to check with the HOA if that is applicable. as they also can dictate what is placed at your home.

one point we have used is ask if any one who is a first responder or a city employee allowed to take business vehicles home? if so they are also in violation of the code. since those vehicles are promoting a commercial entity

billsines

Make an appointment to meet with your local municipality code compliance dept. director to politely plead your case. Be timely about it. You are a local business owner and tax payer ...with unwritten privileges (never to be mentioned). You might be pleasantly surprised. I've received letters of the same nature myself and it is sometimes surprising how an informal yet professional, expedient, polite and friendly approach results in a meeting of minds.

Yes I absolutely agree, a soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Also, really, really nice work.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As letterman7 stated, simply take it around to the back and see if they have a problem with that. It does look like a billboard on wheels regardless of your private ride or not.

So, you don't take any writeoffs such as gas, the lettering on it or insurance ?? That would not make sense, but then, that would make it a business vehicle.

See, here's where it gets a little pissy.
Let's say they let you do it. Month later, some other guy moves in with a business and he puts advertising all over his private vehicle..... still not a problem. Two months later, some guy moves into the neighborhood who owns an Adult Bookstore. Guess what's gonna be all over his truck. So, what's good for the goose is good for that gander.

Nice job and layout. :thumb:

Billct2

Document other commercial vehicles in the area, bring those photos with you and very reasonably discuss what selective enforcement means. Either they have to
make everyone comply or none, they can't pick and choose. Around here this issue is mostly with condo associations. Municipalities usually only limit the size of a vehicle
in residential zones.

HandsomeBob

Check with the State Motor Vehicles Department and see who has jurisdiction over vehicle graphics. Typically it's the State who has authority, since what you have is mobile advertising. If the car is in good running condition and the graphics are ok then they cannot claim blight. You could have a free speech issue, but would need a lot of money to prove it.

Did they cite a section of the city municipal code that you are violating? You can check the Hollywood Florida code at: Hollywood | American Legal Publishing

I note for all that we have red states and blue states. No one lately has said FREE states. Good Luck

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Lots of municipalities say you cannot have a commercial vehicle parked within view of the street if you own it. Check your own local codes. Your fault if you don't research it, sorry. But I'll bet it says something like 'in view of the street', so drive it around back.

It doesn't say that.
it says Remove "TypeA" vehicle from the residential district, except when engaging in commercial activity.

letterman7

Right. It's a commercial vehicle parked overnight in a residential district. If it's marked, it's commercial. See here:
Improper Storage of Commercial Vehicle
Some types of commercial vehicles, such as vans and pick-up trucks, may be stored on residential property. Such vehicles must be screened from view.
from Common Code Violations | Hollywood, FL - Official Website

And, in part, your code:
ui-bookmark.gif
§ 72.112 ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS ON PARKING COMMERCIAL VEHICLES.
(A) Type A Commercial Vehicles. Type A Commercial Vehicles shall not be parked or stored in a residential area or district. except:
(1) Type A Commercial Vehicles may be parked or stored in a residential area or district within a wholly enclosed garage; and

(2) Type A Commercial Vehicles may be parked in a residential area or district between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. for a temporary period for the purpose of performing business contracted for by the owner or agent of residential property.
(B) Type B Commercial Vehicles. Type B Commercial Vehicles may be parked in a residential area or district in a wholly enclosed garage, or in a side or rear yard that is accessible by alley, public or private road, so long as the vehicle is concealed or obscured from view from adjacent private property and public rights-of-way by a building, wall, screen, fence, dense shrubbery, solid hedge or other similar obstacle six feet in height except where height restrictions are controlled by the city's land improvement code.

As Johnny B said, get a cover or park it around the back of the house.

HandsomeBob

What are commercial vehicles. The picture I saw looks like and SUV which is not a commercial vehicle. Commercial vehicles have commercial license plates and are trucks or vans larger.

I would challenge on the fact that you do not have a commercial vehicle.

mfwalsh

What are commercial vehicles. The picture I saw looks like and SUV which is not a commercial vehicle. Commercial vehicles have commercial license plates and are trucks or vans larger.

From the code:

72.110 DEFINITIONS.
For the purpose of this subchapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
(A) COMMERCIAL VEHICLE. Any vehicle that is being used or is designed primarily to be used for commercial purposes.
(1) Examples include, but are not limited to:
(a) Buses, tractors, tractor-trailers or any parts thereof;
(b) Wreckers, tow trucks or other vehicles equipped with a hoist or other mechanical equipment designed to perform a similar function;
(c) Taxicabs;
(d) Step vans, utility trucks and flatbed trucks;
(e) Any vehicle which contains advertising markings or licensing information; and
(f) Limousines.
(2) The following vehicles shall not be considered Commercial Vehicles for purposes of this subchapter:
(a) All public safety vehicles up to the size of a standard rescue vehicle: and
(b) All ambulances.

Looks like (e) is the problem here

Marlene

sounds like your problem is that it isn't a commerical vehicle but your personal car that has been wrapped to become a billboard. get a car cover as suggested.

Logoadv

Schedule a meeting and talk it out. Heck, you might be able to wrap cars for the city once they see how nice your work is. Lots of larger cities will have promo type vehicles (we did a trailer + golf cart for a DUI awareness program where they get to try and drive with drunk goggles!). Could turn a nasty letter into more work

letterman7

Hardly. If your vehicle is marked in a manner promoting a company, it's automatically a commercial vehicle. The vehicle does not need to have commercial plates or be a certain weight limit. I have no markings, no special plate and yet it's a commercial vehicle because I need it to be insured as such. There are lots of wrapped Mini Coopers and Smart cars around here that are commercial.