• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Code Violation: Can't park my commercial vehicle at my own house?!

HandsomeBob

Looking at some of the other codes in your city it appears that it's also illegal to park backed into a parking space. Too many laws in your place.

Find other people with parked wrapped vehicles and see if they have been contacted by the city. It may be a push by the city for revenue or a clean up campaign after someone complained.

If the city is going after business owners, try activism. The city is acting anti-business. Get the word out. Get press coverage about the anti-business attitude of the city government. Do any members of the city council own businesses? Petition to change the law. City government changes only when the public gets involved.

FatCat

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the city/township/village probably got a complaint from one of your neighbors due to the "aggressive" design. They don't like it, and probably feel its an eyesore to their tidy little neighborhood. That is likely the only reason they have contacted you in the first place. I have found that many city employees will overlook a lot of minor issues, but when they get a complaint they have to go by the letter.

BTW - do yourself a favor and DO NOT mention the other commercial vehicles in your neighborhood as an excuse or to try to validate yours - as in throwing your neighbors under the bus will likely result in bigger issues...

As others have mentioned, get a car cover, park it in the garage or out back.

letterman7

And the Bay area in CA doesn't have so many laws, Bob? I'd be willing to wager you haven't looked to closely at your own codes to know what's really allowed. Backing into a parking space is not legal in many places - for those states that don't require front license plates it's to allow the rear plates to be read.. the reason being (or one, at least) to be able to track and locate stolen plates/cars. I'm tending to agree with FatCat... someone blew the whistle.

equippaint

I dont think that youll get far with code enforcement. The wrap looks nice but personally I would not want to look at it everyday in my neighborhood either. This is why there are codes, they don't want neighborhoods turning into business districts and neither do most of the people that live in them. It was mentioned about rules taking away peoples rights but the flipside is that people have rights to not be inundated with commercialization at their homes as well.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I dont think that youll get far with code enforcement. The wrap looks nice but personally I would not want to look at it everyday in my neighborhood either. This is why there are codes, they don't want neighborhoods turning into business districts and neither do most of the people that live in them. It was mentioned about rules taking away peoples rights but the flipside is that people have rights to not be inundated with commercialization at their homes as well.

Really? Are these rights not to have to encounter anything unpleasant actually enumerated somewhere or established by precedent or did you just construct them on the spot? Do they supersede another's established right of freedom of expression? Doubt it.

As for the OP, is this vehicle registered as a commercial vehicle? Do you get to park in yellow freight loading zones and stuff like that? If not, tell the apparatus that it's a custom paint job, it cost a lot of money, and doesn't it look nice? And yes, this whole incident transpired because someone complained. Probably someone who doesn't know what a commercial vehicle is either but has a real hard time minding its own business.

shepherddesigns

Hardly. If your vehicle is marked in a manner promoting a company, it's automatically a commercial vehicle. The vehicle does not need to have commercial plates or be a certain weight limit. I have no markings, no special plate and yet it's a commercial vehicle because I need it to be insured as such. There are lots of wrapped Mini Coopers and Smart cars around here that are commercial.

Doesn't that, technically, implicate all vehicles, everywhere? That is, unless you've removed badges/markings advertising the make/model of the vehicle. There must be more to the code.

letterman7

Doesn't that, technically, implicate all vehicles, everywhere? That is, unless you've removed badges/markings advertising the make/model of the vehicle. There must be more to the code.
Technically, no. The Ford badge on your truck is the manufacturer. The "Star Wraps" with a website clearly visible is a marketing/advertising vehicle and therefore falls into a commercial category, regardless of how it's insured or registered. The minute anyone puts anything to promote a business on their vehicle it becomes a "business" vehicle. And business entities are commercial.

And thus is the problem with codes and enforcement. There will always be interpretations, some pro and some con. Someone in the OP's little community complained about the advertisement on the vehicle and the OP got slammed. If his vehicle was wrapped with absolutely no lettering on it at all in the same pattern, there would be nothing the code enforcement officer(s) could do about it.

papabud

Lone Wolf
If his vehicle was wrapped with absolutely no lettering on it at all in the same pattern, there would be nothing the code enforcement officer(s) could do about it.

and this is the whole point. with a business name and contact info its commercial. with just the plain wrap, its just an eye sore to someone. but if it was just a wrap it might be an eye sore to someone and they have nothing they can do about it.
but adding the business info makes it a code violation.
i personally would rewrap the car removing any writing and see what happens

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think this person's rights or that form of advertising goes beyond whatever..... has anything to do with the OP's predicament. Regardless of how you view your rights being stomped on or whatever slant you give the situation, there is right and there is wrong. If the OP is in violation, then he is simply in violation. If this law was in effect 100 years ago or just passed 10 days ago, you must obey the laws or pay the penalty.

It seems almost everyone on both sides of the fence have their panties all bunched up about technicalities. He's right, no she's right, but what about his rights, or her rights or my rights....... ?? There are just too many rights to go around anymore and not enough people to enforce them. Not even enough people who care to enforce them, but when caught, everyone wants to b!tch and complain.

Frankly, it's become quite sickening. From politics, to global warming to who did what in Hollywood...... I could care less what goes on out in California. We all have our share of taking care of what's right and this constant crying about every little itty bitty problem is so frickin' petty, it ain't even funny. Get over yourselves, grow a pair and do your job and try to stay out of trouble.

bob

..If his vehicle was wrapped with absolutely no lettering on it at all in the same pattern, there would be nothing the code enforcement officer(s) could do about it.

If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle. There exists a conglomeration of colors and shapes. That some of these shapes coincidentally might resemble letters in the local alphabet pretty much is in the eye of the beholder.

CanuckSigns

By looking at the picture I can see a bunch of things that are bigger eyesores than your vehicle, the chipping/mouldy paint across the street, the satellite dish on the front of your neighbors house, the multi colour stars on your neighbours garage door, all of these things say "low end" more than a wrapped vehicle parked in a driveway.

But I guess they have to use blanket rules for these situations, or you would have to allow things like this as well.

Attachments

• s426968511855199678_p19_i1_w640.jpeg
    s426968511855199678_p19_i1_w640.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 214

Johnny Best

By looking at the picture I can see a bunch of things that are bigger eyesores than your vehicle, the chipping/mouldy paint across the street, the satellite dish on the front of your neighbors house, the multi colour stars on your neighbours garage door, all of these things say "low end" more than a wrapped vehicle parked in a driveway.

But I guess they have to use blanket rules for these situations, or you would have to allow things like this as well.
"Low end", where did you see stars on garage door and satellite dishes, paint on street, never saw any of that stuff.The neighbor who busted him for his wrapped car must be from Canada.

equippaint

Really? Are these rights not to have to encounter anything unpleasant actually enumerated somewhere or established by precedent or did you just construct them on the spot? Do they supersede another's established right of freedom of expression? Doubt it.

As for the OP, is this vehicle registered as a commercial vehicle? Do you get to park in yellow freight loading zones and stuff like that? If not, tell the apparatus that it's a custom paint job, it cost a lot of money, and doesn't it look nice? And yes, this whole incident transpired because someone complained. Probably someone who doesn't know what a commercial vehicle is either but has a real hard time minding its own business.
Weren't you just denigrating people in another post that were using their freedom of expression by kneeling in a protest? Now you're here to defend it? I think there's a word for that but I just can't recall what it is.... maybe you can help with your 18th century vernacular?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
And the Bay area in CA doesn't have so many laws, Bob? I'd be willing to wager you haven't looked to closely at your own codes to know what's really allowed. Backing into a parking space is not legal in many places - for those states that don't require front license plates it's to allow the rear plates to be read.. the reason being (or one, at least) to be able to track and locate stolen plates/cars. I'm tending to agree with FatCat... someone blew the whistle.

Strange, many oil companies here REQUIRE you to back into parking space. I always back in here.

bob

Weren't you just denigrating people in another post that were using their freedom of expression by kneeling in a protest? Now you're here to defend it? I think there's a word for that but I just can't recall what it is.... maybe you can help with your 18th century vernacular?

Try to comprehend the difference between "Congress** shall make no law" and "Your employer shall make no law". Try to go beyond the fact that one of them is found as part of the US constitution and one seems to be absent from that document. You have no particular freedom of expression that need be countenanced by your employer. None, nada, zip, zero. A great part of wisdom is knowing not only nomenclature but when things are the same and when they are not. Familiarization with either will prevent you from appearing even a larger fool that you might already be.

Moreover, to exactly what 'denigration' do you refer? Did I accuse someone's mother of being a warthog? Accuse another's mother of giving Green Stamps? [You're probably too young for that one] Simply call someone a drooling microcephalic? Be precise in your response to this query with simple declarative sentences devoid of equivocation.

**Congress and by extension any public apparatus.

visual800

Take other pics of vehicles in the hood. call the dude at city and arrange a meeting. as him WHY? Sounds like someone reported you and you just need to clarify to him. Every year these idits come out with new rules and never bother to share them with us. Do not back down from the city!

That vehicle is quite "loud" and you may wanna keep it hid

Johnny Best

[QUOTE="bob, post: 1354537, member: 3028"]If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle. There exists a conglomeration of colors and shapes. That some of these shapes coincidentally might resemble letters in the local alphabet pretty much is in the eye of the beholder.[/QUOTE]

So what do the Kardashian grandchildren call Bruce Jenner, Papa or Nanna.
Same goes for commercial or non commercial vehicle. Could be an argument you could not win with the city.
Maybe someone is trying to clean up the "hood" as some of you refer, getting rid of stars and TV dishes and wraps that looked at to long might give someone seizures.

Marlene

the car is clearly a rolling billboard. it isn't a cable company/phone company/ or any other type of service vehicle as the soul purpose is to advertise a business and that may be why it needs to go from the neighborhood. I live in VT where we aren't allowed off premise signs. people here have been trying to get around that law by lettering up a truck or van and parking it. this car seems to fall into the same kind of thing as it is like putting up a billboard for a business where a sign/billboard isn't allowed.