• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Completely New and I just bought a vinyl plotter!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Do you want me to get on my knees and start begging? If you don't want me to feel welcome, i can leave for yall.... I just wanted some advice on making signs cause my uncles sells signs in states away and he makes bank in this slow economy.

Nothing of the sort. Simply put, we are a community of professional sign makers who spend some of our time helping each other deal with the various questions and problems that arise in our craft. We encounter a fair number of end users who decide they no longer want to buy from a professional signmaker and decide to pick up a cheap plotter and seek help from us in using it. Frankly, you appear to be one such individual.

If this is not so, please accept my apologies and explain to me how I read what you say and come out with a different meaning. You are perfectly free to buy your own equipment and make your own signs ... but surely you must realize that for us to allow you to pick our brains and help you bypass dealing with someone just like us is not going to happen.

bensmeding

So, if I understand you correctly, you have no experience and since you buy a lot of signs, buying a vinyl cutting plotter for $339.95 plus $59.95 shipping seemed like a good idea and now you would like the professional sign community to lend you a hand at turning you idea into some cool designs etc.? And if anybody wants to buy some signs from you, that would be cool too?

What is your primary work that makes you your living?

My primary work is www.SmedingPerformance.com, but business is at a snails pace, no sales. (alot of free time on my hands). Since I have a huge empty building, I thought minus well start a sign shop too! So I started by buying this small investment, if it ganna work out, Cool I can always move up. If it doesnt, oh well.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
My primary work is www.SmedingPerformance.com, but business is at a snails pace, no sales. (alot of free time on my hands). Since I have a huge empty building, I thought minus well start a sign shop too! So I started by buying this small investment, if it ganna work out, Cool I can always move up. If it doesnt, oh well.

I wish you luck in the venture. If you need to know how to do something there are tons of tutorial videos on youtube and design tutorials on the web.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Hi, I just bought this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-44-SignMake...tDomain_0&hash=item4aa9837117#ht_10787wt_1139
Is it any good?
I own a business and i make a lot of signs for internal use, will it be good for that?
Also can I use about illustator as my design program? or what do you recommend?

Will this program, FlexiSign Vinyl Express LXi Apprentice Software allow me to do a lot of cool designs? :signs101::omg:

Okay Ben, I wish you luck and will give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

To answer your questions ...

No the plotter isn't very good and will require a lot of extra time to get usable results with it. You can use Illustrator to design and then export the results to a plot control program but you will probably spend a lot of time on the learning curve and will waste a lot of material along the way. FlexiSign Apprentice is one small level above a bare minimum program. You will find it has many shortcomings when it comes to features and capabilities. So if you want such things in a single software solution, look to spend more for a higher version of FlexiSign.

You will find lots of useful information here if you take the time to dig it out. The Search button is your friend.

I would very much like to see a pic uploaded of the first sign you produce and sell to a customers.

GypsyGraphics

just talk amongst yourselves, don't mind me... i'll get this internal thing figured out myself.

thinking maybe signs for pre-med or biology classes... ooooor..... maybe directional signs...
intestines CURVES AHEAD
blood flow ONE WAY
bowels NO LOITERING
tongue SLIPPERY WHEN WET

i think i'm onto something here

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Fred, you ARE a better man than I. But when I'm in drag, ALL bets are off :)

blondie.gif
Ohhh honey! I had no idea you swung that way.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
just talk amongst yourselves, don't mind me... i'll get this internal thing figured out myself.

thinking maybe signs for pre-med or biology classes... ooooor..... maybe directional signs...
intestines CURVES AHEAD
blood flow ONE WAY
bowels NO LOITERING
tongue SLIPPERY WHEN WET

i think i'm onto something here

:thread