• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Copyright Violation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
First off, thats a crap logo...

Now to your "problem"

Did you apply and pay for an actual "Copyright" for this "logo"?
If you did not, there is very little you can do... a cease and desist and maybe sue for actual damages.

If you have an actual "copyright" you have more protections, the person infringing on your copyright may be fined, arrested, pay damages past a loss of income and may go to jail.... this is the extreme of copyright, if you did not register it legally, you have little recourse.

Now getting on my soapbox....
The logo is hideous, it is not original, nor worth the hassle. You should always get it in writing... but you DO NOT NEED IT in writing. You are automatically protected up to a certain point. There are times to own the copyright of artwork.... at the very least, you should always keep your 'rights of promotion.' But on a logo, a client really needs the freedom to use the design for their use with little or no restrictions... no one is going to feel sorry for you that you can't make a logo sale and now you want to hold your client hostage?... find a better way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Of course you did it for free..... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this your wife's company we're talking about again ??

That name sounds familiar and I think we went round and round with almost this same problem some time ago. KiWi or some cute name like that and she basically runs the show. How is it, she can't keep the people with you ?? She has like some 40 or 50 agents.

• You can't set up some kind of volume discount ??
  • You can't add some incentive to buy from you ??
  • You can't figure out how to keep your own wife's company in the family ??

:pops_blinking: :guido:

:jr:

:violet:

We're gonna have to send some of the boys down to put them thar agents in line.........:thumb:

Locals Find!

First off, thats a crap logo...

Now to your "problem"

If you did not, there is very little you can do... a cease and desist and maybe sue for actual damages.

If you have an actual "copyright" you have more protections, the person infringing on your copyright may be fined, arrested, pay damages past a loss of income and may go to jail.... this is the extreme of copyright, if you did not register it legally, you have little recourse.

Now getting on my soapbox....
The logo is hideous, it is not original, nor worth the hassle. You should always get it in writing... but you DO NOT NEED IT in writing. You are automatically protected up to a certain point. There are times to own the copyright of artwork.... at the very least, you should always keep your 'rights of promotion.' But on a logo, a client really needs the freedom to use the design for their use with little or no restrictions... no one is going to feel sorry for you that you can't make a logo sale and now you want to hold your client hostage?... find a better way.

Rick, I never claimed it was good. Hell, I didn't post it for that reason. Already mailed a letter will see what happens.

When you say pay for a copyright are you referring to a trademark? I have never heard of paying for a copyright. Please explain further.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Rick, I never claimed it was good. Hell, I didn't post it for that reason. Already mailed a letter will see what happens.

When you say pay for a copyright are you referring to a trademark? I have never heard of paying for a copyright. Please explain further.

I am not talking about trademark... I am talking copyright...

Google "copyright" you will get the US copyright office and there is an FAQ section... quit talking out of you butt when it comes to Copyright, do a little research before making a policy.

RobbyMac

Yeah what he said. If you didnt register the copyright, good luck getting anything out of them. Best you can do is tell them to stop reproducing it, and attempt to prove actual damages (good luck with that).

megacab

this just gets better and better. as i recall, the Jones co. was that super hot chick with all the cool hats....:popcorn:

tcorn1965

I think a worm ate it.................

Give the man a prize...He very well may be correct...
Addie, WTF, I remember the post and what transpired between you and signmeup and it was a done deal...So the dog ate the homework...USPS Fuc#$% up, whatever, but now knowing that it did not happen, you are ready to paypal...Signme up should have fronted you last month, you check your monthly statements right? Or are you as inept at that as you are in this field. I am sure you are great on getting things done without actually having to do do anything I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today

Terry

2972renfro

John, my past sins & transgressions are not what is at question here. I have cleaned up my ways since being educated here at S101. I haven't hid from my mistakes.

If you don't have anything to share concerning the actual question please don't post. If you want to bash my past sins I believe there are better places to do that other than this thread.

Really?

You are still using the post office logo at your facebook page. Don't use the excuse of not knowing how to change it. There was a thread about this early this year and you still have not changed it. Same deal, you pleaded that you did not know better

Don't copyright your [cough] "logos" [cough] or complain about others doing the same with your logo

http://www.facebook.com/Adtechia

Custom_Grafx

Why don't you go see a patent/copyright attorney and pay him to write you up a contract/agreement you can get your future customers to sign. Also ask him/her to advise what you should do when that agreement is broken.

and remember "law favours the proactive over the reactive"... ALWAYS.

I have asked s101'ers for their opinion on something similar before, but on an actual case, instead of asking sign makers for legal advice, I would go see someone who does this stuff for a living.

Also, this issue comes up so often, maybe an attorney who deals in this stuff should become a merchant member here. The amount of times this stuff comes up, they sure would get a lot of good exposure and opportunity to build relationships here with potential clients.

Ghost Prophet

I don't have any advice these other good people haven't already given...

...but I find myself being extremely interested in what the artwork in question looks like...

Status
Not open for further replies.