• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDRAW - Version Upgrades Going Bye Bye, Subscription-Only Soon

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Since Corel Corp no makes a new release (version) once per year the subscription actually costs less than buying an upgrade DVD, which is the mistake I mad in upgrading to version 20 (2018) now version 21 (2019) is out....

I was forced to pay $200 to upgrade to version 20 by a client sign company that was finding it to be too much trouble to backsave to version 18 for me to work thier drawings.

But I will not upgrade to version 21 until I absolutely have to. And that is driven on what my customers want.

WildWestDesigns

Since Corel Corp no makes a new release (version) once per year the subscription actually costs less than buying an upgrade DVD,

It may depend on how far out you price things.

Back when Adobe had both (2010 is when they started I believe), upgrading every release, it would just take 7 yrs to be cheaper then subscription. We are past that time frame now.

So it does depend on the situation.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
It may depend on how far out you price things.

Back when Adobe had both (2010 is when they started I believe), upgrading every release, it would just take 7 yrs to be cheaper then subscription. We are past that time frame now.

So it does depend on the situation.
I agree.

Colin

..........llustrator so that I can open and resave the files I get from clueless Adobe users who don't know how to export something that can be used universally.

How timely. I'm using Corel X7 (and CS6) and recently had a designer send me a file (using Illy 2019) and whether it was an EPS, ai or PDF, all the files (when imported into CorelDraw or Illy CS6) were comprised of and broken up into individual horizontal bands, which, when ungrouped, could be deleted individually, leaving nothing there. He tried numerous things on his end to have it save or export without the bands, but to no avail. They were so bad that I'm sure they would have shown up in a print.

He eventually got a PDF to work properly using a software named "Sketch".

Any idea what was causing these? I'd like to inform him if possible.

Attachments

• SS 1.jpg
    SS 1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 300

Jackpine

There are a couple different ways to do this. Are they charging the $199 per year for the upgrades but if you decide to not renew you can still use the version you last paid for? Or are they doing the Adobe way and hold your files hostage if you don't pay current subscriptions?
If you don't do what Corel wants for the money they can disable it on your computer if it is on the internet. I saved all my files outside of corel and my print or cut files as a eps.I am using X5 on this computer and when I tried to open the program it would not. I have been a user since version3. They can kiss my ass. It is like blackmail. We all went with their

Jim Hill

So if I understand this correctly if my version of X-8 that I paid for is located on my desktop computer Corel can disable it if I do not agree to pay another $199.00 dollars plus pay the monthly subscription price?

I must admit if this is the case it is Black Mail!!!
Jim

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Corel will not disable any existing perpetual license of CorelDRAW if the user doesn't join the program to pay for forced upgrades every year. Corel has been fairly clear and up front about that. If you don't want to buy any upgrades you can keep on using the existing copy of CorelDRAW you own from here on out. But the penalty is if you don't join their upgrade program before their deadline expires (whatever date that may be) then your license becomes one that can no longer be upgraded. Next time you want to buy a newer version of CorelDRAW you'll either have to buy a new full version license ($499) or get on their subscription program ($198 per year). Neither choice is cheap. Even signing up on their "upgrade protection" program is expensive: $199 for the version upgrade + $99 for the "upgrade protection."

While it's much cheaper to stick with the software you have there are obvious hazards to doing so. If you're running CorelDRAW on a modern version of Windows there is always the chance some new "upgrade" Microsoft forces on users could break an old copy of CorelDRAW. The same thing can happen when buying a new computer. Security holes can be discovered in old software. Corel is only going to maintain their newest stuff out of choice. They're only going to patch old software if a really catastrophic vulnerability is discovered. You can run an older OS in virtual machine software, but it's best to run such a thing not connected to the Internet since it's not secure at all. Some people might be able to work like that, but it's extremely far from practical for everyone. Some of the best stuff from Adobe Creative Cloud doesn't work without an always-on Internet connection.

I've said it before, but this is a VERY VERY STUPID move on the part of Corel, or much more likely their vulture capital owners (Vector Capital). Hedge fund firms do a great job ruining companies. They load down their balance sheets with debt, run all kinds of schemes to cook the books and then unload the company (often when it's drowning in red ink) to another buyer once they've sucked enough life out of it. Word is Vector Capital is going to sell Corel to KKR (a bigger hedge fund firm) for a little over $1 billion. There's no telling how much worse the situation is going to get for Corel once they have the costs of another high priced transaction added to their balance sheets.

Jackpine said:
If you don't do what Corel wants for the money they can disable it on your computer if it is on the internet. I saved all my files outside of corel and my print or cut files as a eps.I am using X5 on this computer and when I tried to open the program it would not.

I ended up being forced into buying an upgrade from X5 to X6 because of an OS update. I think it was the change from Windows 8 to Win 8.1. X5 wouldn't load at all.

Longtime CorelDRAW users probably should start double-saving artwork in other formats, such as EPS or PDF as a safeguard. Most applications external to CorelDRAW do a terrible job opening CorelDRAW .CDR files. I'm not suggesting this out of a motivation of just being angry at Corel. It's a matter of just keeping those assets alive and usable.

IMHO, this move on the part of Corel to try to strong-arm its user base is nothing short of suicidal. I really believe this is a move that could quickly put the company out of business. These vulture capital firms don't give a hoot about the 30+ year heritage of Corel or its long time customer base. They're only looking for angles in how to suck money out of that company and out of our wallets. I think their forecasts on how the forced upgrade program will create more quick cash won't turn out as they see it. I think they'll end up shedding lots of existing users to various rivals and end up with a far smaller customer base. Corel is already struggling as it is. I thought it was really stupid to move to a yearly upgrade program (and charge the 2 year $199 price for it). That left enough of a bad taste in my mouth as it was, given just how underwhelming recent upgrades have been. With diminishing returns on upgrades for a 30 year old software title the vulture capital guys are now desperate. The patient is on life support right now and these guys are going to cure the patient by smothering a pillow in its face.

So, with the possibility being very real that Corel could go bust, it's a big murky question what will happen with those activation servers required to make copies of Corel X6 and later work. Saving down to earlier formats like X5 is one option. Saving to PDF, EPS or AI is another.

WildWestDesigns

Next time you want to buy a newer version of CorelDRAW you'll either have to buy a new full version license ($499) or get on their subscription program ($198 per year).

This is assuming that the option to get a perpetual license exists in the later versions as well. May only be able to go with a subscription. And that they subscription price stays the same as well. Adobe's has gone up after all. Just depends on how far down the line we are talking about. Although Corel's pricing seems a little high for what you are getting, but that could just be me.

While it's much cheaper to stick with the software you have there are obvious hazards to doing so. If you're running CorelDRAW on a modern version of Windows there is always the chance some new "upgrade" Microsoft forces on users could break an old copy of CorelDRAW.

With the rolling release nature of Win 10, any new update can break any program at any point. While it is more likely to happen with a legacy program, make no mistake, it can happen with a new program. And breakage has happened on even MS' own software with an update on Win 10.

Win 10 is about as "safe" as Arch is, perhaps even less so, because you can still tell Arch to only do security patches and not feature updates, where is with Windows you can't do that. Bare in mind, this comment is not an endorsement to switch to a different platform, to think that it is, is wrong (I feel compelled to strongly indicate that). This is mainly to illustrate just how bad it is in general to have "mission critical" software/hardware running on rolling release (essentially beta software) OSs.

The same thing can happen when buying a new computer. Security holes can be discovered in old software. Corel is only going to maintain their newest stuff out of choice. They're only going to patch old software if a really catastrophic vulnerability is discovered.

I wouldn't expect them to do that even with catastrophic issues either. If something isn't supported, can't expect patches like that. What MS did lately for XP and Vista users, they shouldn't have. They did, but they shouldn't have.

You can run an older OS in virtual machine software, but it's best to run such a thing not connected to the Internet since it's not secure at all. Some people might be able to work like that, but it's extremely far from practical for everyone. Some of the best stuff from Adobe Creative Cloud doesn't work without an always-on Internet connection.

I'm sure that I'm at the top of the list for both comments (maybe the only one as I'm quite outspoken for both). The worst being internet connectivity. That is the biggest vector of issues. Period. It is. Run perpetually connected and just accept that it is an issue and with the rolling release nature of Win 10, issues with updates are going to be very real and very likely to happen twice a year. And subscription models are also very much rolling releases, even Adobes is now as they are only allowing as far back as x-1 at any given time.

Bare in mind some of those benefits that exist now that require an always on connection, may not exist in the next version. I'm not saying it won't exist, but the potential for it not to exist is far greater, due to it's rolling release nature. Shoot, there could be even hard coded features that exist in one version, but not in the next and with the mandate of not running older then x-1, at some point, "you" are going to no longer have that feature that you need/like. Things get deprecated and removed and now don't have the ability to stay on that version that still has it.

Now, going back to the VM part, since we are talking about VM'ing legacy software and depending just how far back that legacy software is, it may not have a need for an internet connection anyway, as the features derived are negligible or perhaps non existent. If using a properly spec'ed computer for VM'ing (I'm actually able to run a VM within a VM and that second VM is damn near native performance), it is actually far more stable then keeping older hardware to run everything on bare metal.

I've said it before, but this is a VERY VERY STUPID move on the part of Corel, or much more likely their vulture capital owners (Vector Capital). Hedge fund firms do a great job ruining companies.

This is part of the same issues with wants going on with openSUSE as well. openSUSE, like RHEL (or now should I say IBMEL, since IBM bought RH?), and Ubuntu (Canonical) are all company owned, it's very much a risk for all of those as well, just openSUSE is owned by this type of company.

I ended up being forced into buying an upgrade from X5 to X6 because of an OS update. I think it was the change from Windows 8 to Win 8.1. X5 wouldn't load at all.

This issue happened for my mom as well, but it was a direct fresh install of 8.1, not just the update and doing a fresh install of X5 with manual moving of files from the disk (not all moved over) would fix the issue. I had the same thing with an embroidery program as well. A dll file didn't move over from the disk and once it was manually moved over, it worked just fine.

Longtime CorelDRAW users probably should start double-saving artwork in other formats, such as EPS or PDF as a safeguard. Most applications external to CorelDRAW do a terrible job opening CorelDRAW .CDR files. I'm not suggesting this out of a motivation of just being angry at Corel. It's a matter of just keeping those assets alive and usable.

This is something that I would recommend regardless of the software in question when dealing with proprietary master files.

So, with the possibility being very real that Corel could go bust, it's a big murky question what will happen with those activation servers required to make copies of Corel X6 and later work. Saving down to earlier formats like X5 is one option. Saving to PDF, EPS or AI is another.

If saving down to an earlier version, make sure to finalize any new(er) effects that may not translate to those earlier versions, if they were used.

As to activation servers, that is one way that they could also strong arm anyone with X6 to current on a perpetual license is that they could shut those off for anything I would say older then X-2. That shouldn't disable your current install (but it's not like a "kill switch" couldn't have been programmed in there), but it would prevent you for re-installing after a bad update or going to a new computer, regardless if it was still compatible with the version of the newer OS and you still have at least one of your activation seats left.

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
This is assuming that the option to get a perpetual license exists in the later versions as well. May only be able to go with a subscription. And that they subscription price stays the same as well. Adobe's has gone up after all. Just depends on how far down the line we are talking about. Although Corel's pricing seems a little high for what you are getting, but that could just be me.

I think the $16.50 per month subscription price is a rip-off; it's actually billed annually at $198. I think a $99 per year price would be far more appropriate for what the user is getting in that suite. Their "upgrade protection" plan lets perpetual license users basically get a $99 per year subscription, but only after ponying up $300 to join the protection program.

Considering the venture capital hedge fund guys are likely calling the real shots on this, I wouldn't be surprised if Corel eventually does kill off its perpetual license distribution system and go subscription-only. If Vector Capital doesn't push it then it's probably likely that KKR will do so once it takes over ownership of the company. Then the end of CorelDRAW will be in sight.

The problem is Corel is NOT Adobe. They don't have the kind of leverage Adobe has over the advertising industry. The guys at Vector Capital are delusional if they think they have the sway of Adobe. None of the applications in the Corel portfolio are "industry standard" must-have applications. The apps all have rivals with larger user bases. CorelDRAW doesn't have a broad reach across the whole advertising industry the way Adobe Illustrator does. Even in the sign industry not everyone uses CorelDRAW. Plenty of sign makers design solely in "CAS" apps, be it expensive ones like Flexi or lower cost ones like Vinyl Express LXi, Vinyl Master, etc.

If this hard ball move back-fires on Corel (which I think chances are very strong it will) they'll end up shedding lots of users and then have less resources to maintain and improve the application. They will be forced to back off the "no more upgrades" policy. But by that time many long time Corel users could already be transitioning over to Adobe or any other number of rival applications.

WildWestDesigns

I personally think $99 is still a little high, especially compared to Adobe, but I think even with Adobe, I think Adobe Experience Cloud is still a far bigger profit generator then even CC.

Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with the assessment over this decision of Corel's. No bueno for them in the long run.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Unfortunately hedge fund bean counters think they know more about running any kind of business than anyone else. So the ones running Corel will probably not heed any warnings at all in how risky their new "strategy" might be. Specific knowledge of a given industry doesn't matter to them. Everything is just numbers on a page. As a result we get things like the carnage that happened with Sears and Kmart. Those once healthy retail brands are now in horribly sad shape thanks mostly to stupid choices on the part of hedge fund people who had zero idea of what actually goes into running a specific kind of retail business. Not only did these idiots have zero clue how to operate the two retail chains properly, but (even worse) since they lacked the basic expertise to run things in the present they had no idea at all how to plan for the future to stay relevant. They ended up getting pummeled by Walmart and Target on the brick and mortar end and by Amazon online.

I feel like the same thing is going to happen to Corel. They're going to get pummeled on both the high and low price end while struggling to remain relevant. Adobe clearly owns the high end for mainstream graphics and content creation software. The only thing giving Adobe any trouble currently is the lawsuit between them and Dolby Labs (a dispute over licensing terms for Dolby Digital encoding in Adobe's audio-video apps). There's a number of upstarts on the low cost or free end (Affinity Designer, Autodesk Graphic, Vectornator Pro, Inkscape, etc). None of them are complete alternatives to CorelDRAW, much less Adobe Illustrator. But the applications are cheap enough in price to attract new amateur designers or anyone else wanting to make DIY graphics who might have otherwise bought a copy of CorelDRAW to start making vector graphics. How many new users is Corel going to attract with this new business model?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
... But by that time many long time Corel users could already be transitioning over to Adobe or any other number of rival applications.

ADOBE- NEVER. I'D RETIRE FROM THE INDUSTRY ALTOGETHER IF ADOBE WERE THE ONLY OPTION.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I guess you didn't read the full sentence, missing the part about "or any other number of rival applications." Regardless of the situation with Adobe and other software vendors I think the folks at Corel (or rather Vector Capital and KKR) are going to shoot themselves in the foot and inadvertently kill CorelDRAW in the process. Even if another actual software company buys Corel there is no guarantee such an owner would keep it alive. I specifically remember what Adobe did to Freehand once they had ownership of Macromedia's collection of applications.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Which drawing application are you going to adopt once CorelDRAW is only available via subscription or forced yearly upgrades on a "non subscription" perpetual license?

WildWestDesigns

Even if another actual software company buys Corel there is no guarantee such an owner would keep it alive. I specifically remember what Adobe did to Freehand once they had ownership of Macromedia's collection of applications.

Both of these are a risk when using software that follows a certain development model. Not saying that the software isn't good or shouldn't use it, but it's a risk that one takes.

Adobe just bought the Substance Suite of tools (seems like that's how Adobe is mainly (remember mainly, not entirely) "innovating" now more so then actually adding their own stuff, but I digress) and I'm fairly sure (almost 100%, but I would hold back just for those weird blindsiding moments) that they will drop Linux support. I ran that risk, I ran that risk that Linux support might have even been dropped before Adobe bought it. There may be a chance that Adobe "kills" it. Absorb some of it in their other products and then "kills" it.

Those are all risks (and others) that users take when using certain software. Again, not saying that it is or isn't the software that they should be using, but a risk that people need to be aware of and maybe have an alternative or two as backup (and yes, they may not be 1:1 replacements, but if the software is gone, what options do "you" have).

Jburns

I bought it---ugrade with DVD option-its only 179.00 plus shipping. I dont have an interest in subscriptions like most here.
I have X6 on one computer, and 2017 on another- I will update the 2017 I guess?

Affinity designer is impressing me more and more- and may make some strides in a few years- their current version is only 40 bucks and supports every major file type.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/

player

I bought it---ugrade with DVD option-its only 179.00 plus shipping. I dont have an interest in subscriptions like most here.
I have X6 on one computer, and 2017 on another- I will update the 2017 I guess?

Affinity designer is impressing me more and more- and may make some strides in a few years- their current version is only 40 bucks and supports every major file type.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/
Looks amazing, $40!

player

I am not recommending this, but as software companies make larger grabs for monthly payments won't cracked versions become more prevalent?