• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CS6 and the Cloud

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
C6 is being released next week. So who is going to sign up for the $50 a month service and who will be ordering disks/downloads?

I am still on the fence on this one. $50 a month forever or pay an upgrade fee once every 1-2 years. The reason I say forever is because as soon as you quit paying the fee, you can no longer use the software. There is no loyalty program in which you can then purchase physical versions for less. If you decide to quit doing the monthly cloud version and purchase physical discs/downloads you pay the same upgrade fee

Dan Antonelli

Currently you can install on two machines for the $1850, do you know if it will still work that way? I have a new employee starting 1st week in May so I need another license.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Currently you can install on two machines for the $1850, do you know if it will still work that way? I have a new employee starting 1st week in May so I need another license.

According to Adobe's EULA you can install on 2 machines but cannot use at the same time. Although there is no electronic way of limiting you of doing so, I don't know if that is the case with CS6

The idea is you can install on say a laptop and a desktop for 1 person to use. You cannot have one designer using the laptop and another on the desktop at the same time. I am sure it is done all the time though

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Correct. They also announced that they will be offering some sort of extra special upgrade pricing for those still on CS3 and CS4. No mention of those on CS5 / 5.5/

WildWestDesigns

C6 is being released next week. So who is going to sign up for the $50 a month service and who will be ordering disks/downloads?

I am still on the fence on this one. $50 a month forever or pay an upgrade fee once every 1-2 years. The reason I say forever is because as soon as you quit paying the fee, you can no longer use the software. There is no loyalty program in which you can then purchase physical versions for less. If you decide to quit doing the monthly cloud version and purchase physical discs/downloads you pay the same upgrade fee

As long as they offer it, I'll be doing the disks. Mentally I'm just not fond of the idea of the cloud type of computing. I can see where that might be where things are heading, I wouldn't be happy with that way though. I might just have to keep whatever the last version that's still either a download or disk version there is and go from there.

$1,850 is cheap. That's just a little more then the tax (TN rate) that I pay for one program that I use. Just one program, not a suite. Or that's less then a 2 generation old upgrade for the same program.

For what you are getting, Adobe is pretty cheap.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'll probably order the physical discs. $525 to upgrade from the Master Collection CS5.5 to CS6 isn't too bad. I prefer having DVDs at the ready in case I need to do something like perform a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and reinstall applications. It would be a giant pain to download well over 20GB of app files and then install. It takes long enough just installing from discs.

Adobe is trying to sweeten the deal for Creative Cloud. Existing CS3, CS4 and CS5/5.5 users can sign up for $29.99 per month for the first year -a $240 discount off the usual $49.99 rate for 1 year. The price might be even more compelling for users with modest suites wanting to use everything in the Master Collection. $360 to install and use all of Adobe's apps sounds like a pretty sweet deal. However, once you're on the hook with Creative Cloud you're on it forever.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I'll probably order the physical discs. $525 to upgrade from the Master Collection CS5.5 to CS6 isn't too bad. I prefer having DVDs at the ready in case I need to do something like perform a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and reinstall applications. It would be a giant pain to download well over 20GB of app files and then install. It takes long enough just installing from discs.

Adobe is trying to sweeten the deal for Creative Cloud. Existing CS3, CS4 and CS5/5.5 users can sign up for $29.99 per month for the first year -a $240 discount off the usual $49.99 rate for 1 year. The price might be even more compelling for users with modest suites wanting to use everything in the Master Collection. $360 to install and use all of Adobe's apps sounds like a pretty sweet deal. However, once you're on the hook with Creative Cloud you're on it forever.

Yeah I can upgrade the design standard for $275, cheaper still. I have no use for anything not included with this set

CES020

I have 2 laptops, one for personal use, one for work, and then my computer at work I use for CS5. I don't use Photoshop on one laptop, but would like it on the other, so I installed it like that. I installed the full package on my work computer, then just illustrator on one laptop, and just photoshop on the other laptop.

I went to use Illustrator on my laptop and it said I couldn't use it because I had too many installations. I had to deactivate PS on the one laptop just so I could use Illustrator on the other laptop. They have a pretty tight system in place for that these days, it appears.

WildWestDesigns

Yea, when you buy it as a suite that's the way it goes. It's one key for all the programs. Doesn't matter if you activate it via Ps or Ai on one computer and the other program on the second computer. It all reads as one key regardless of the program activated. Only time I saw it different was with Acrobat Pro. That program has a separate key to the others in the suite.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Not doing the cloud thing. Not interested in the least untill I have no choice. We have 2 licenses here now. One is CS4 Design Premium and one CS5.5 Design Premium. For a short time if you go ahead and jump on the CS5.5 upgrade, the upgrade to CS6 is free. On Adobe's site the CS4 to CS6 (Design Premium) upgrade shows as costing $949.00. The upgrade to CS5.5 is a lot less. I actually found it for $467.78 - I was hesitant but did verify that this company is legit and an authorized reseller (not partner) and the CS6 deal is valid from them. http://www.softwaremedia.com/adobe/...ign/cs55-design-premium-upgrade-from-cs4.html

So I went ahead and bought the for our CS4 license. Then on Adobes site CS5.5 (Design Premium) upgrade to CS6 is $375.00 which I will do for our CS5.5 license. All of these prices I'm mentioneing are specifically for Design Premium.

Justin

I'll be getting CS6(non cloud), and if, and when they make cloud only versions I will use whatever that last version is that isn't cloud based, and so will alot of other people.

royster13

I'll be getting CS6(non cloud), and if, and when they make cloud only versions I will use whatever that last version is that isn't cloud based, and so will alot of other people.

Only time will tell.....On one of the Adobe discussion boards, it appears that most big users do not have much of a problem with the subscription model....It is us little guys that find it troublesome, but we are in the minority.....

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Fundamentally I think the subscribe forever model is flawed because Adobe wouldn't get any punishment in terms of bad sales for releasing a crappy version of an application or suite. Likewise they would get no greater reward from existing customers for issuing an outstanding must-have release. Incentive is being removed from the equation.

Once you're on the hook with Creative Cloud you're going to be paying for EVERY upgrade whether you want it or not and Adobe isn't going to have all that much incentive to hit the ball out of the park every time. They could take your business for granted and you'll be continually stuck paying for it. Of course, Adobe's one and done deal on perpetual licenses (boxed software on disc) is pretty much issuing the same deal. It's a very greedy thing to do, especially in a struggling economy. But with Adobe having something of a monopoly in graphics software now it seems logical for them to start abusing customers.

This represents a major opportunity to rivals like Corel, Autodesk, Apple, Sony and various others who make creative software applications. Unfortunately they seem to be following in Adobe's direction. Corel announced a 2 versions back limit on upgrade eligibility for CorelDRAW. Not as bad as Adobe's one and done nonsense, but still it's a little nasty.

WildWestDesigns

This represents a major opportunity to rivals like Corel, Autodesk, Apple, Sony and various others who make creative software applications. Unfortunately they seem to be following in Adobe's direction. Corel announced a 2 versions back limit on upgrade eligibility for CorelDRAW. Not as bad as Adobe's one and done nonsense, but still it's a little nasty.

See, I don't really have too terrible of a problem when it comes to how many generations back you can go for upgrade price. Particularly when we are talking about Adobe and/or Corel and their pricing.

I just don't like the subscription based model for this type of application. Now, if I was a hobbyist and/or only needed some applications every once in awhile. Do a month here or there, that would be something else. I could see were the cost of doing a huge bulk money transaction would be a strain.

There are some things I don't have a problem with subscription based, but when it comes to my "tools of the trade", I want it to be a one shot and done.

Dan Antonelli

I'm still sore they purposely bought Freehand only to kill it. I'm having a very tough time learning Illy, and I can't upgrade my Mac OS because the new Mac OS won't even run Freehand because there's no Rosetta. 20 years of files. CS5 does open Freehand files fine, but I'm so lost on it, it makes me crazy. For 98% of the stuff I do which is vector Freehand does exactly what I need it to do.

Justin

I honestly don't know if I'll ever upgrade past this new one.. I don't know what else they could possibly need to add. If anything I think the only stuff they'll be adding in time is more 3D type of stuff.

WildWestDesigns

I honestly don't know if I'll ever upgrade past this new one.. I don't know what else they could possibly need to add. If anything I think the only stuff they'll be adding in time is more 3D type of stuff.

The one thing that would get you is if you accept 3rd party design files. You would need to be relatively current to accept them. Nothing pisses off some customers is having to save in a legacy format especially if they don't have the programs to do it themselves and they have to track down the designer to get it done for them.

Techman

I am still using photoshop version 6. Works perfectly fine. Plus I really enjoy the contact sheet option the newer version do not have.