• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customers banner...What do you think?

WrapperX

I can see it's a big thing over there but is doesn't look BBQ to me. Looks like all that stuff would fall through the grill. .. just sayin.

But I would love to try it.

First off its not pulled apart until its off the "grill" - Most times its cooked in a smoker unit and then grilled to finish.

Just because its called BBQ doesn't mean its on a grill. Hamburgers are grilled/BBQed but aren't BBQ. Same with Chicken - that can be grilled/BBQed but ISN'T BBQ unless it has BBQ Sauce. Etc...

Fatboy

No cuz your evaluation of everyone was wrong and Jills design was a great improvement. We had a discussion and you threw manure at it.

ok jou dom donner. Jy is n sleg bliksem en n ou wat ek graag wil bliksem (afrikaans for Ok I see your point) I must go sleep now.Midnight in africa.

Big Blue

here we go ,here we go here we go.....hit a nerve? No one learns anything by being knocked like that. In Africa we call people that criticizes like that 'when we's'. When we walked barefoot to school...when we did this or that...get my point? Fact is bullies that operate in groups are as bad as gangsters in a dark ally! Help the man...he have the same right as anyone else to ask for advice without being knocked like that.Drop the puking nonsense and rather say stuff like...maybe try this or that...!

Agreed.

R08

First off its not pulled apart until its off the "grill" - Most times its cooked in a smoker unit and then grilled to finish.

Just because its called BBQ doesn't mean its on a grill. Hamburgers are grilled/BBQed but aren't BBQ. Same with Chicken - that can be grilled/BBQed but ISN'T BBQ unless it has BBQ Sauce. Etc...

Thanks for the clarifications . I had no idea. :doh:

Flame

Alright, so this is nothing more than just a 10 minute quicky, but to show some of what I was saying. Lose the photos unless they are crisp and AMAZING, and just get the right "feel" across to the customer.

Attachments

• BBQ banner.jpg
    BBQ banner.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 94

Jillbeans

Send your 10 year old boy over, Fatboy. I will gladly hire him as long as he helps mow the grass. I'm sure he's a nice kid, and I can use the help.

Slamdunkpro

Thanks for the clarifications . I had no idea. :doh:

Total threadjack but we clearly need a "What's BBQ class in here". Sauce is for the weak - it should only be served on the side.:supersmilie:

CentralSigns

I looked through the comments and came up with my spin on the banner. The middle sandwich took over the main vocal point of the sign, being near the center of the layout. In fact with all the pictures around the center, it the middle picture was the one that focused all your attention below the actual middle of the banner. bing the most unappealing food, perhaps another picture, a more appetizing one would serve this banner better. I'd suggest the ribs as the most appealing picture that should capture all your attention. Most peoplr can't get past the middle picture as it sits. I don't think the font is the right choice, might want to try others.

The problem is that this is what the customer desires, so if it's not the greatest design in the world It is a banner, not a work of art if the guy likes it and pays then great job! The problem with so many is that they think they are producing a Mona Lisa when at the end of the day it is a sign that gets blown by wind and debri, urinated on by dogs, crapped on by birds. I too with Fatboy notice the "groupies" if any of them makes a post it is fine. Flame just found a problem with Joe's sign which is a masterpiece and when called in it folded like a pinto in and accident.

Flame

The problem is that this is what the customer desires, so if it's not the greatest design in the world It is a banner, not a work of art if the guy likes it and pays then great job! The problem with so many is that they think they are producing a Mona Lisa when at the end of the day it is a sign that gets blown by wind and debri, urinated on by dogs, crapped on by birds. I too with Fatboy notice the "groupies" if any of them makes a post it is fine. Flame just found a problem with Joe's sign which is a masterpiece and when called in it folded like a pinto in and accident.

We are a profession based industry, not commodity. To truly deliver the best results, you must have a level of pride in your work. Like a Dentist having pride in his perfect cap, a framer having pride in his perfectly build round stairs, a contractor pouring that perfect stamped concrete driveway....

Without that, then yes, your work is merely a commodity and not worth the pi$$ of the dog that walked by it.

My work may stink to you and be dog urine, but it has made me a living for 40 years, sent 4 children thru college, paid the mortage and keeps growing each year. I am a professional. I do take pride in my work. I just think too many times everybody finds fault with signs and banners without taking into consideration that it is a prouduct that often times is viewed at 55 mph. Honest criticism is one thing but malice and rudeness is something else. My point is that if the bills need to be paid and the customer gets what they want and recommends your shop to others that is a good sign.

Flame

My work may stink to you and be dog urine, but it has made me a living for 40 years, sent 4 children thru college, paid the mortage and keeps growing each year. I am a professional. I do take pride in my work. I just think too many times everybody finds fault with signs and banners without taking into consideration that it is a prouduct that often times is viewed at 55 mph. Honest criticism is one thing but malice and rudeness is something else. My point is that if the bills need to be paid and the customer gets what they want and recommends your shop to others that is a good sign.

Wasn't bashing your work bro. :) I don't think I've even seen it.

However, here we have a guy putting something up for critique, don't ya think MAYBEEEEE he's going to get honest critique? There wasn't too much malice here honestly, maybe some teasing, but not malice.

rjpjr

to the OP,

What is the customers intended viewing distance?

My .02 cents... Print the layout and tape it to a wall and walk with the customer to the opposite side of the room and have them read it. Then explain to them that this is how the majority of their potential customers are going to see the banner. The thumbnail view of your original post gives the same effect. Looking at the thumbnail, nothing stands out and it is not very legible. If the customer is persistent about using photographs, try to convince them that more is NOT better. One oversized and detailed photo will go a long way to help compliment what the main text is communicating.

A few select seem to enjoy offering critical commentary while providing nothing in the way of constructive advice or instruction. At that point, it is my view that all you are doing is succeeding in presenting yourself as a douche bag. In my estimation, Jillbeans consistently critiques effectively by offering constructive criticism and then follows it up with a possible solution that demonstrates the weakness of the original layout and how to overcome it. At that point, it is up to the OP the accept or reject the critique. Jill, I thought your alternative layout was attractive and effective. :thumb:

As far as critiques go, I would suggest that critiquing ones artwork is profitable and constructive, but critiquing the character of the OP seems inappropriate.

Attachments

• BBQ-Ribs-banner.jpg
    BBQ-Ribs-banner.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 80