• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting aluminum at home

fresh

We use a panel saw with a blade made for cutting aluminum, and then go over the cut with a de-burring tool. If you have a circular saw (or table saw?) you can probably rig something up. Good luck!

ironchef

Ive seen someone use the back part of a blade, not the sharp side, it works out pretty good, it was alumacore

FS-Keith

No, 18 gauge is equivalent to .040, .407 would be over 4mm thick.

For the record, .047 would not be correct either, 18 gauge mics up at about .0403. Standard measure requires the use of THREE decimal places which is why it's rounded to .040. If it were .047 it would be .041.

shorten your signature, nobody needs to see that every post

JgS

Thanks everyone. I used a box cutter to score the aluminum. Clamped the aluminum between a 2x4 and the table. Snapped the extra off and used a file to smooth out the edge. It worked great.

anotherdog

Depends what you are mounting on the aluminum. If you are covering the face with printed vinyl, those tiny scratches and burrs on the edge let the weather in and the vinyl soon begins to peel. A clean cut edge extends the signs life.

We use the shear on a steeltrak for cutting.

Then you have the nice sharp corners. We use a cheap chinese half inch radius cutter that works wonders.

or you can nibble it with your teeth.

redbarn

if some of the users on here are so "professional" why do said users have to much time to troll this site? same ppl being rude on every post. if you know so much get off the forum that ppl share information on, you should not need it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
if some of the users on here are so "professional" why do said users have to much time to troll this site? same ppl being rude on every post. if you know so much get off the forum that ppl share information on, you should not need it.

For the exact same reason so many are trolling.... like you..... to poke fun of people with a business.

What surprises me the most is how rudeness gets confused with total honesty. If most of the supposed newbies would search a little and do some of their own homework, they wouldn't have to ask such foolish questions..... I'm at home and want to cut some super thin aluminum for some free signs. How and where do I begin ??

That is not a question. It's more like a 3rd grader at a college dorm party wanting to have some of your beer. At first, it's cute, but it gets old real fast.

What is so wrong with pointing these newbies in the right direction and letting them find some things out on their own ?? Does a little sarcasm come along with it ?? Yep, but not as stoopid sounding as your remarks about seasoned veterans and other professionals in this membership.

This place is a wealth of information, but it continuously seems like first grade is being repeated week after week after week. No one ever graduates. They all stay back and learn one lesson at a time, but at their own pace. No one keeps up with the class. No one learns from anyone else. No one cares, cause we make it too frickin' easy to not learn. Just come here, ask a dumb questin and someone will answer you. It might not be a good sound answer, but the newbies don't care..... they don't know any better. They gotta start somewhere, so making mistakes is a natural phenomenon with them. It's agreed by the others like yourself, that they need time to learn. Good, while they're learning and screwing up the industry, you still wanna know why some professionals and good shops cop an attitude while they hurt the trade. I'd rather know why you think it's alright for someone with no talent, no clue to fonts, color, common sense, ability, tools, time put in learning a trade and no idea of what they are doing should get equal consideration as the person honestly trying to better themselves ??

• You are my question. If you were a Mother or Father bird, would you push your fledgling out before they developed flying feathers ??
  • Would you try to run an automobile before you put oil or gasoline in it ??
  • Would you serve supper in a metal container before opening it up, pouring the contents into a pot and heating the soup ?? Do you even know how to turn the stove on... or what temperature to set it to ??

Seriously, why do you and many others insist on putting the cart before the horse ?? There are certain fundamental basics everyone has to learn in life and in business, but how to cut a piece of aluminum isn't one of them for someone who wants to give away free signs...... cut me a frickin' break.

Mosh

Not everyone buys or can afford the fancy tools right pout of the gate.

I started with nothing! I guess my point is don't half a$$ do stuff. Shearing it is the best method. Cutting it at home will only give pour results.

Another way is I put it in my brake and score it, like has been mentioned, it leaves a sharp edge. Cutting it with a saw leaves a sharp edge. Snips will cut it, but look like crap.

SO THE BEST METHOD IS TO SHEAR IT!!!!

I don't have a CNC, anyone have a way I can computer route 100 signs over the weekend, I don't have a fancy CNC!!!!! DUH!!!!

JgS

How in the world does asking a question about how to make a sign for a friend when you are not near your shop turn into such a noobie hate fest?

Oh well. I got my question answered... Hope you all are having fun.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How in the world does asking a question about how to make a sign for a friend when you are not near your shop turn into such a noobie hate fest?

Ha, you're a funny one. :Big Laugh

It wasn't directed towards you at all. You might've started it, but indirectly. My post was directed towards the many people who always say; lay off or ya have to start somewhere. Questions like yours are constantly asked and it seems like the same questions are answered daily. Almost no one does their homework, because we've made it too easy to not learn and just imitate.

The problem with that is.... newbies are many times answered by other newbies, who don't know the correct answers either, but most newbies will always take the easy way out. Therefore, you don't learn a thing.

:peace!: So, let me ask you this...... if you're not near the shop to cut your aluminum out, how can you do the lettering for it.... not being at your shop ??

If you planned enough in advance to cut your vinyl out on your shop plotter, why didn't you take the 5 minutes it would've taken to cut the aluminum panels out with your shop tools ??

JgS

No worries. I probably need the criticism.

As far as the lettering goes, my friend and I hand painted the sign.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

Gino feeds off the life force of sign noobs. It is the primary source of his eternal youth & good looks....

wayne k
guam usa

AzGene

I thought this forum was for sign PROFESSIONALS!!!! Not cricut, make signs in your livingroom hacks!!!

I have a $3,000 52" Tensmith shear, that is how I cut .040 aluminum, it cuts it like a hot knife in butter, and leaves a factory type smooth edge. No saw is going to do that.
BTW aluminum is not measured in "gauges"

For @#cks SAKE!!!!

You are quite the horses @ss aren't you.

skyhigh

Many of us start with almost nothing, make due and build our business, as well as our stock of tools and equipment as we go.

I just made a sign for a new automobile service station. The 2 owners (friends) had many years experience working as mechanics at a local dealership....basically a couple grease monkeys with no business experience, thrusting themselves into the world of entrepreneur'ship.

Could you even imagine them pulling you car onto a set of "ramps" to change the oil? Even they were smart enough to buy a "Lift" and stock their toolbox with all the necessary tools.

Why is it, you feel this profession requires no "start-up" costs??? Being able to cut "sheet stock" is one of the bare necessities in this trade. If you have to ask what tools to use and how to do it, then perhaps this craft is too complicated for you

OldPaint

my wife works for a large construction company. and the shop is near my house. they have a 10 foot $20,000.00 shear/ computer controlled bender...........

Marlene

I want to make a couple signs for a friend this weekend and I don't have time to send out the aluminum sheets to be cut down

this was a simple question, how did it turn into such a hate fest?

Why is it, you feel this profession requires no "start-up" costs??? Being able to cut "sheet stock" is one of the bare necessities in this trade. If you have to ask what tools to use and how to do it, then GET OUT!!! Why is it, you feel this profession requires no "start-up" costs??? Being able to cut "sheet stock" is one of the bare necessities in this trade. If you have to ask what tools to use and how to do it, then GET OUT!!! Yesterday 11:19 PM

that statement is such a jerk thing to say. the guy knows how to cut aluminum and said so in his first post. what he was asking was is there a way to cut it by hand. nothing wrong with asking that and there also is nothing wrong with sending materials out to be cut. you do not need to own every piece of equipment on th planet. what you do need to know is how things are done which is what the OP said when he said he didn't have time to send it out to be cut. it was pretty clear he knows how it is done. all he wanted was to know is can it be done by hand for this one time.

skyhigh

the guy knows how to cut aluminum and said so in his first post
He did???
I want to make a couple signs for a friend this weekend and I don't have time to send out the aluminum sheets to be cut down. The plan is to take them home and cut them there. The aluminum is 18 gauge.

This is a noob question but what do you think the best tool for this would be? I have a table saw, a circular saw, jig saw, or I could pick up some automatic shears. Also what blade do you recommend? The goal is to have the cleanest edge possible.

Besides Marlene......my post was directed to "Chip", who feels a great business plan is to "start off with nothing" and see how it goes. Take that to the bank, and watch them laugh you out of the building (oh wait....he's not going to the bank).

How do you feel, knowing you are part of a craft that requires no "start up" costs Marlene? So easy a caveman can do it?? Anyone can do what you do??? Get off your high horse, and realize his comments are an insult to YOUR trade.

Marlene

Not everyone buys or can afford the fancy tools right pout of the gate. Many of us start with almost nothing, make due and build our business, as well as our stock of tools and equipment as we go.

this is true Sky, not every can afford every tool. yes there are start up costs. the OP did know how to cut aluminum, he sends it out. so do I. going to tell me I don't know how to cut aluminum because we don't have a shear? I don't cut aluminum daily so why we would we invest in an expensive tool that would sit dormat for weeks at a time? we have a small brake but not a huge one, that does that mean I don't know how to bend aluminum? I do have a panel saw, why? because I use that all the time. would I cut aluminum with it? no as it won't give you a good clean cut like a shear will so see, I don't own one but know how it works and I think the OP did too as he send it out. what he wanted to know was could he cut it by hand.

Techman

IT doesn't matter who,, someone will get flogged. Someone will always feel offended especially when they are wrong. Some just post along feeling like an authority and no one else has anything valid to say. Some post away without really knowing what they were talking about. Some simply don't know what they don't know.

IE: The other day some posted about mill finish novelty grade aluminum used for street signs and vinyl failure. They did not know about a specification demanding a specific material used for street signs..

Noobs get bashed. Old timers get bashed. This guy got it for not knowing how to cut thin materials. Some of old timers saw that and wonder why in the world anyone would waste the time and go to the expense to cut .040 aluminum? Especially using a saw?
There is always someone who thinks they know more than the other guy/girl.
Right or wrong a bash will appear no matter what. Pro or noobs get equal measures of bashing. That is the way it is.