• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Excess Vinyl Off Banner

Foo

Hey guys,

Total noob question, but when printing on vinyl banners, what do you use to get rid of the excess white that surrounds the print? I'm currently using Roland Light Weight Banner material with a SP-540i to print. I'm assuming that there is some sort of cutter that most people use? Or does the excess get folded over and grommeted?

Thanks!

anotherdog

...is this a real question?
You go down to the hardware store and buy a knife and a ruler with some finger protection.
How are you managing now?
Do you chew the excess off?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
big fan of these, we've got 4 of em... had em for 7 years.

http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/13

Worthless unless the surface you happen to be using is perfectly flat. These rulers are so rigid that they bridge any irregularities making for less than accurate cuts. Moreover, they are sufficiently thick and those that have a steel insert to cut against are mounted too high such that parallax becomes a problem.

More better, get one each of a 4', 6', and 8' 2" wide aluminum ruler at any drywall supply house. These will conform to any irregularity in the cutting surface. If you can't keep your fingers out of the way, you're too stupid to be in this business. Add thin carpet pad to the backs with hem tape to make then skid proof.

Fortuitously, the 2" width is perfect for marking where to hem. Just flip the banner over, position the ruler parallel to the edges, and drag a pencil along the inside edge of the ruler. Voila, a line to which you fold the hem.

Foo

I'm sorry, I did post in the "Newbies" section right? Maybe I got confused with the "Arrogant, Experienced Workers Who Like To Berate New People That Are Trying To Learn How To Do Things They've Never Done Before" section... I hope your companies don't have customer service like you offer here. I am totally new to the world of printing and sign-making and trying to get a better understanding of the tools people use to make professional products. Hence why I posted in the Newbies section. Obviously, I expected that a knife would be used but I wasn't sure if there were any tools that could help to make for a more professional finish. I figured most people were just using a straight edge too. Apparently it's as easy as I had intially thought.

For those that offered valid help, thank you.

For those who don't understand the concept of a "NEWbies" section, please reconsider berating people who are just trying to get answers. You were once new too.

Bly

Will you jokers stop giving away our trade secrets like this?

This kind of info should be in the Premium section IMHO.

Flame

Worthless unless the surface you happen to be using is perfectly flat.

Aw so I guess I'll have to throw away the couple we have here. I guess all these years we've cutting everything crooked and wavy. Think of all those thousands of banners out there with horrible edges that somehow our customers never noticed. Sigh.

. Dude, you need to tone down the extremism a lil. Worthless? Really? We use em everyday and so do all my buddys shops. Works fine. :corndog:

Foo, buy one. They rock. Doubles as a ruler and will last forever.

PromoGuyTy

Careful

I just wanted to point out that if you are indeed chewing them off now, be careful, because if you get some of that scrim strand stuff between your teeth, it takes FOREVER to get out. Trust em, I know. I have a huge gap in my front teeth and everytime I chew some banner to trim it down, I spend HOURS trying to get that crap out.

====Okay guys, I think Foo is adequately initiated...=====

Welcome, Foo.

njshorts

Worthless unless the surface you happen to be using is perfectly flat. These rulers are so rigid that they bridge any irregularities making for less than accurate cuts. Moreover, they are sufficiently thick and those that have a steel insert to cut against are mounted too high such that parallax becomes a problem.

More better, get one each of a 4', 6', and 8' 2" wide aluminum ruler at any drywall supply house. These will conform to any irregularity in the cutting surface. If you can't keep your fingers out of the way, you're too stupid to be in this business. Add thin carpet pad to the backs with hem tape to make then skid proof.

Fortuitously, the 2" width is perfect for marking where to hem. Just flip the banner over, position the ruler parallel to the edges, and drag a pencil along the inside edge of the ruler. Voila, a line to which you fold the hem.

hire a couple fat guys to sit on your table and level it out! :banghead:

2NinerNiner2

I'm sorry, I did post in the "Newbies" section right? Maybe I got confused with the "Arrogant, Experienced Workers Who Like To Berate New People That Are Trying To Learn How To Do Things They've Never Done Before" section... I hope your companies don't have customer service like you offer here. I am totally new to the world of printing and sign-making and trying to get a better understanding of the tools people use to make professional products. Hence why I posted in the Newbies section. Obviously, I expected that a knife would be used but I wasn't sure if there were any tools that could help to make for a more professional finish. I figured most people were just using a straight edge too. Apparently it's as easy as I had intially thought.

For those that offered valid help, thank you.

For those who don't understand the concept of a "NEWbies" section, please reconsider berating people who are just trying to get answers. You were once new too.

A big howdy from Calgary! :Canada 2: ...

... and welcome to the peanut gallery otherwise known as Signs 101!

Love it or hate it, there's no place like it!!! :)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
... Dude, you need to tone down the extremism a lil. Worthless? Really? We use em everyday and so do all my buddys shops. Works fine...

Dude? Lil? Buddys? Your command of the language is whelming.

It would seem that reading for comprehension is as lacking as your expository skills. The words were "Worthless unless..." the 'unless' is a qualifier and the phrase that follows that qualifier is a dependent clause. Hardly extreme, merely accurate.

Perhaps you were off in the boys room indulging in a spot of self-abuse when this principle of the language was explained.