• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dead, dead, dead......dead.

Replicator

Don't cry if we wanna charge $2.50 a sq ft. You don't know my overhead and what I need to charge to profit well, so stop cryin.....

I could charge $2.50 SF if I lived in my moms basement too, but this is reality not play time with a chinese cutter in the living room . . . Just sayin' !

kev3232

i'll be the big guy and pull my last post and put this petty argument to bed.
i'm extending a laurel and hardy handshake prowraps!
:)

k

Last edited:

Salmoneye

I had to lower my prices to get 4 big banners at $6.25sf and I have been kicking the dirt over it. Guess at $2.50 I would have to do a crapload of em.

Ken

Just like every year for the last 20, our business died the week of Thanksgiving, and it won't come back til the middle of March.
From Image..g?
"I used to use those slow months to try to market, but I don't no mo. It was really a waste of time, if people dont want it in winter, they dont buy it in winter - not even a a huge discount. And when I tried offering winter discounts, people would come in the spring when we are absolutly swamped, wanting it at the winter discount price, and needing it in a rush."
Know what you mean Vern...
I'm having a couple of good months..but I truly..expect jan to march to be slow.
There's brown paper goin up on some of the plaza windows...I should knock on those doors.
BTW...I'm thinking , if you check out your local city hall...there is prob a way to see who is registering for new business licenses....and a follow-up.
Cheers!
Ken
PS..I sould have said Late January to Early March...a better time.

Last edited:

OldPaint

I could charge $2.50 SF if I lived in my moms basement too, but this is reality not play time with a chinese cutter in the living room . . . Just sayin' !
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......if i gota sell product at $2.50 sq ft, iam gona go work at BURGER KING....i will make more take home pay!!!

FrankenSigns.biz

December is historically slow, but this month is REAALLLLY slow. We've been speaking with regular and potential clients and we're hearing a lot of "put-off" until January. Hopefully January will be better. I hear tell we are in the midst of the "Great Recession".

threads1

I don't have any backlog of sign work but have been lucky to finish one job and have another come in the door right after it. The embroidery side has been picking up. Small businesses are the bulk of the work and we have a good 3 weeks into January on the books.

Our dear governor has increased the unemployment insurance by 3 times effective the 1st of the year so, we are all nervous about the outcome of that.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas. And since so many politically correct people are trying so hard to "CHANGE" America. I got to say

"God Bless America"...we need it!

TheSnowman

Mosh is right...You guys keep crying that he doesnt charge enough, but HE CAN CHARGE WHAT HE WANTS, as I can and do also. If you jokers wanna charge $6 a sq foot for a little banner, than go do it. Don't cry if we wanna charge $2.50 a sq ft. You don't know my overhead and what I need to charge to profit well, so stop cryin.....
Some of you on here seem to be very busy and that's great. The others who are slow, maybe it's time to lower your prices and be a little more competitive. Its rough out there.

Oh so many idiots...so little time. I bet you go to the cheapest doctor and mechanic too. Good plan! I hate my cheap customers...you can have them. You'll have fun as they lowball you lower and lower each time they walk in the door...then tell their "buddies".

Jillbeans

My business usually dies a slow death come November and is reborn in February.
It didn't die this year.
I have noticed a big increase in small jobs (jobs I loathe like soccer stickers for people's windows but hey I will make them for a minimum fee) Having the new plotter makes cutting small stuff painless.
I have had two vans, a few small signs, a showcard, applied vehicle window lettering, and made masking for a friend who does custom airbrush this week. Last week was two truck door lettering jobs for different clients, a few cut vynull decals for someone to give to their buddy, and stock decals for a Steelers fan club. That's a lot for me for December. On next week's menu is a double-sided 4'x8' with both paint and reflective vynull.
By next week's end I know I will have some "emergency" Christmas presents to make. These are usually small custom painted signs I can make from scraps. It's always a rush, but fun and easy money.
That being said, I have been storing one of these "rush" gifts since last Christmas.
Love....Jill
PS
Why lower prices when the cost of everything has increased? Not this gal.

btropical.com

We just did a boat , and we have a doctor getting death threats so we have been safety filming his house and business .A friends mother in law kicked the bucket and they must have got some mattress cash, he wants his house safety filmed . The recycling guy called and said crushed cars are $8 dollars a hundred we are going to crush 100 cars so definetly gonna be a nice xmas . Gonna pay bills and take off to the hunting camp between xmas and new years . http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/mariesigns/?action=view&current=IMG_0422.jpg

Jon Aston

OK.

So things are "Dead, dead, dead"...

Whether this is just the normal seasonal lull, or a deeper trough in the "long recovery" most of us can expect... what are you going to do about it? How are you going to take advantage of the extra time you have on your hands?

This is a great time to look back at the year you've had... and to plan the year ahead. Do some analysis, set some goals and objectives, devise a strategy, rough in an action plan. You can't keep doing what you've always done and expect different results. Well you can... but it's not advisable. Especially in this economic climate.

[Sorry if reads sounds like a rant. It wasn't.]