• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design-Off #4 VOTING Take 2

Design Off #4 Best Design

• Entry #1

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Entry #2

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Entry #3

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Entry #4

• Entry #5

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Entry #6

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Entry #7

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • Entry #8

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Entry #9

• Entry #10

Votes: 17 14.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deaton Design

I totally went at this the wrong way. Seeing these other entries surely enlightened me to period work of this type. I learned some good lessons on this one. Nice work guys.

Pat Whatley

I totally went at this the wrong way. Seeing these other entries surely enlightened me to period work of this type. I learned some good lessons on this one. Nice work guys.

Quit making excuses...I voted for you. What are you trying to do to my credibility? Oh wait...nevermind...

Service Sign Co

Quite impressive ! are you going to post all the entries that didn't make it to the top 10 for fun? "Doyle" Anyway the giff animation is awesome. As are most of the presentations. 10 got my vote for FREE BEER

Air Art Girl

nice designs but how many did not follow the rules?? I think a few. It's hard to decide on those that followed the rules and all the great design. Being a judge in another industry, we always had to DQ the entry. Next round, the rules have to be followed or it's not really fair. I love the talent here!!

Doyle

These are all of the designs that were sent in.... a few were put in there to substitute for the original 10 contestants... only 6 or 7 of which actually participated.

geb

Great job, all entries show great talent. Y'all should be very proud, well done.

George

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Large signs need to be legible from a distance. 5 is cool but 6 gets my vote.
The thumbnail speaks for itself. :thumb:

Great job everyone!:peace!:

Service Sign Co

Good job Doyle, I figured there would be plenty of entries on such a nice project. I guess I lost track The finalist's for #5 Shovelhead, 3-D Sign Co. WeasleBogie and the winner of this one. If someone could refresh my memory that would be great. Brian Hardin giving the next assignment. .Anyway I'll post my playful excuse of a sign minus the neon. I'm having a good time anyway.

Last edited:

ovrcafnatd

Great Friggin' designs - all of them!

I had a hard time voting too, but I kept being
drawn back to #7
It just really reminds me of a Jersey Diner
and let me tell ya' we gotssss a lot of d'em here.

Nice work :thumb:

iSign

They are all nice... and many were tieing for first in my mind...

..one thing that cost a few of the better ones from getting my vote, is that the don't seem to take into account that this clearly is a 2 sided sign. Even #6 where the single feature to cross outside of the panel, is the the ascender of one of the d's... and it is almost perfectly centered... but not quite, and not symetrical on top.

#10 is also a great looking sign, but a backwards "R" sticking out the other side is a tough issue to work around, even if they did want the backwards triangle feature on the other side.

Service Sign Co

observations

They are all nice... and many were tieing for first in my mind...

..one thing that cost a few of the better ones from getting my vote, is that the don't seem to take into account that this clearly is a 2 sided sign. Even #6 where the single feature to cross outside of the panel, is the the ascender of one of the d's... and it is almost perfectly centered... but not quite, and not symetrical on top.

#10 is also a great looking sign, but a backwards "R" sticking out the other side is a tough issue to work around, even if they did want the backwards triangle feature on the other side.
That's why design off #5 should be detailed drawings,with hand drawn neon,transformer size(clearly,it's a lot of footage to pull) side views,elevation, with schematics to prove it can be done in the real world

Ken

#7 gets my vote..not only because of legibility..but because it puts "Diner" as the main copy.. I also like the stylization on the bottom panel. Yes, #6 fits the mood, but it is a Diner.. ego getting in the way of that layout. Eddie's as the main copy makes you wonder what it is..you have to figure it out on a drive-by. A common problem.
Lots of great effort and input from everyone here..this is a great learning tool!
Cheers!
Ken

grafixemporium

#6 fits the mood, but it is a Diner.. ego getting in the way of that layout. Eddie's as the main copy makes you wonder what it is
I totally disagree. This layout screams "diner" without actually screaming "diner". There's no ego involved. Rather, a good design shouldn't have to point out the obvious. In reality, the #6 layout could have been completed with greeking in place of "Eddie's Diner" and most people would probably understand that it is a diner sign.

Doyle

That's why design off #5 should be detailed drawings,with hand drawn neon,transformer size(clearly,it's a lot of footage to pull) side views,elevation, with schematics to prove it can be done in the real world

Remember though, it's a design-off. Not all graphic designers are as versed in the actual engineering and construction of a sign, especially electrical work. I understand that these details are crucial and cannot be overlooked to complete the project, but I would assume that it is a rare case that the actual designer is the same person doing fab work.....

I do agree though that maybe some more detail could be provided with future layouts, but I wouldn't go too far with it..

This is a GREAT learning tool for everyone. I learn so much from all of you that I can't wait to see everyone's work and projects for critique. I have learned more in this forum in the past year than I did in the previous 3 years combined!!!

Ken

You know Doyle, Shovel..and the other moderators of this exercise..I think it would be really helpful to all involved ,and also to those merely perusing this thread ( and future design-offs)..if some comments from the designers could be included..about their thinking on their respective designs..I know that is a lot to ask..just a few comments why they took the approach they did.
You're right, Doyle, this is a great learning opportunity.
Cheers!
Ken