Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dibond to Stucco with liquid nails?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by T-Square_WPB, Aug 12, 2010.

1. T-Square_WPB

T-Square_WPB Member

Jul 27, 2010
    I have a client that says absolutely no to drilling or screwing into their exterior parking garage wall. We have a 12"Hx60"W direct print dibond sign that needs to be adhered above a 15' entrance. Is there anything besides liquid nails???

Tags:
  2. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    i'd be afraid to "glue only" anything above an entrance. liability.

3. T-Square_WPB

T-Square_WPB Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Agreed, customer may have to sign a waiver!

4. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    there is multiple things that concern me here. one that it is a stucco finish and second that it is over an entrance. i wouldnt offer a waiver i would insist that i install it with mechanical fasteners or that the customer takes the sign and installs it themselves.

5. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    +1
    Never let your customer tell you how to do your job. Stucco is easy to patch. The only thing liquid nails is good for is starting a fire in a hurricane.

6. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    i dont think signing a peice of paper makes up for risking someone injury.

7. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Your best option is to make them hang it themselves. If you're going to do it use silicone instead of liquid nails. Silicone will flex as the Dibond expands and contracts. Liquid nails dried hard and brittle and tends to pop off.

8. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    Every time I use Liquid Nails they splatter all over the place when I hit them with a hammer. :doh::Big Laugh

But I agree that you need to use something more than glue, or as Dan said let the customer Install.

9. Shnyda

Shnyda New Member

May 4, 2010
    Safety First - No mechanical fasteners on an overhead sign is Crimina. Stick to your guns, if they will not allow fasteners of some type let them install it.

10. T-Square_WPB

T-Square_WPB Member

Jul 27, 2010
    We are at the point with customer we may tell them to install themselves. Great advice on the safety aspect, that wasn't considered on our end. Customer asked if we could install a smaller piece with tapcons, then apply the sign with an epoxy to the smaller piece. But I think the same safety issue comes up even with that.

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Tapcon two battens and then attach the sign to the battens. Actually, that would be a better and more preferred method.

12. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Forget the adhesive, it's not safe. You need to use fastener to attach it to the wall.
    Tell him no.

13. T-Square_WPB

T-Square_WPB Member

Jul 27, 2010
    We decided to attached a substrate/base to the wall first, then apply a liquid agent that will adhere to the base.

14. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Why?

15. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    E6100 Multi-Purpose Adhesive. Graphics Solutions Group has it.

Not sure what his problem with drilling holes could be, but if he is conserned
    with the holes being there if the sign is removed. I would rather deal with
    filling the holes than cleaning off any adhesive that might be used.

16. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    why not do a screwed on ledger on the back of the sign if it's hidden fasteners your after. you're already there if the customer agreed to a batten fastened on the wall. dont do glue- we're all suggesting ya think safety! if you need a diagram PM me and i'll send you one!

17. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    Are they conserned with holes in the stucco or bolds/screws visible on the
    sign face? There are several ways to install it with no visible bolts.

18. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    or french cleat

19. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    then screw the "liquid agent" (?) and use vhb.

The way you posed your question, it sounded like he was opposed to HOLES in the wall, when actually he didn't want visible fastners. My first thought was...does this customer know what a mess an adhesive will make, compared to a few holes (which are an easy patch).

20. eddesign

eddesign Member

Sep 30, 2009
    hub a bu bu

Hey at the top of this form it says a community of professional sign makers.I know no professional sign maker that would hang a sign on a stucco wall with out some sort of mechanical fastners.Silicone or liquid nails can not take the place of mechanical fastners.So whats next hub a bubu chewing gum