• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you people actually like Corel?

C

ColoPrinthead

I'm deeply saddened and crushed to just now learn that my CorelDraw work is not respectable. I must rectify this situation right away. Can someone please send me in the right direction an tell me what respectable software I need to buy? My self esteem is shattered. I don't even want to live anymore.
Its not what is produced but the overall interface and way one moves through the program that I dislike. Use what you like. I've never met any designers in my career that give a thought to using Corel and have only ever received one Corel file while working for a print house. I never said "Corel can't make good looking art".

I work with a couple of Art Institute graduates who tell me they've never even seen Corel software.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Its not what is produced but the overall interface and way one moves through the program that I dislike. Use what you like. I've never met any designers in my career that give a thought to using Corel and have only ever received one Corel file while working for a print house. I never said "Corel can't make good looking art".

I work with a couple of Art Institute graduates who tell me they've never even seen Corel software.

All this means is that they've been rather sheltered.

C

ColoPrinthead

All this means is that they've been rather sheltered.

:Big Laugh It certainly doesn't mean they are good designers or even very creative with what they do. I would think a design school like the Art Institute would expose their students to more design software than just that made by Adobe.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
:Big Laugh It certainly doesn't mean they are good designers or even very creative with what they do. I would think a design school like the Art Institute would expose their students to more design software than just that made by Adobe.

I agree.

But I would not be surprised if Adobe was giving away or heavily subsidizing software for educational institutes. Perhaps even striking deals to exclude other software.

But that is just speculation, I admit.

C

ColoPrinthead

I kind of wondered about that as well. They do offer their software a lot cheaper to students through college book stores. I've worked at a few places that were using the "student" version.

WildWestDesigns

I would have thought that design schools would have also exposed their students to other computer platforms then just Macs, but there are a few people on here that have said that the design schools that they looked at were all using Macs.

I would imagine it's along the same lines.

RobbyMac

As for doing anything in any program (mentioned by another poster), yes that's true... For that matter, use pen and ink, airbrush, or whatever...

The reason some of us prefer coreldraw, as Artbot so elegantly stated in his analogy, is because it's efficient for illustration and design. If I can produce a rendering in half the clicks and time as it would take in Illustrator, then I am going to do that. So I do.

In 2000 I was using corel 9 scripts to automate color separating CMYK files for a license plate manufacturer (their printing system required 4 separate line art .bmp files). CLient had 4 Series of license plates. Each series contained 25 design files. Each file had 52 customizations in it (using layers for each customization). 4 series x 25 files, x 52 customizations = 5,300 files. Those 5,300 combinations then had to be exported, split into C, M, Y & K files, each having to be line screened/halftoned (resulting in a total 20,800 files total). They were looking to hire temps to do the mind numbing export and splitting/linescreening of each combination, figuring 2-3 workers for 6 months.
It took a week to script, but managed to make it work. Once complete, a click, and all files were exported and halftoned in under 10 hours. Sure beats 6 months salary for 2-3 employees.
Later when they took their business to the web, creating the web images (both thumbnails and larger product images) was a breeze using the same scripting methods.

Illustrator and photoshop didn't have scripting available then... But yes, it could have been done with those programs. I saved them alot of money, damn near made his business possible/profitable, and made some nice cash in the process.

Later I began using transparency effects to shade my renderings, resulting in more efficient re-use of my templates. Illustrator wouldn't come out with transparency until later, and even then, using gradients in the transparencies was a multiple step process (like many other methods in it's archaic GUI) compared to a click and drag in corel.

For our work, we can work in actual size, or at worst, apply a scale to our art. Try to explain to an illy user how to scale 1/3 size at 100ppi for a 53' hauler... If you're lucky, one actually has a brain and can scale it to 10% for 'easy math' in the head.

I always liked illustrators flexibility in managing colors... Until I tried to print a pantone color chart (created in corel in about 2 minutes using a script) directly out of illustrator cs2, only to find theres a limit to like 17 spot colors in one file... So I guess just change the layout to use less color, because the software should be the limitation on the design process... not.

And that's why I use corel. Because I rarely find myself in a situation where corel isn't cutting it for my design needs. Whereas with illy, I find I have to jump through hoops for it to accomodate my needs.

But if all one is doing, is hitting FILE, OPEN, followed by FILE, PRINT, then it really doesn't matter whether corel is more efficient or not.

C

ColoPrinthead

As for doing anything in any program (mentioned by another poster), yes that's true... For that matter, use pen and ink, airbrush, or whatever...

The reason some of us prefer coreldraw, as Artbot so elegantly stated in his analogy, is because it's efficient for illustration and design. If I can produce a rendering in half the clicks and time as it would take in Illustrator, then I am going to do that. So I do.

In 2000 I was using corel 9 scripts to automate color separating CMYK files for a license plate manufacturer (their printing system required 4 separate line art .bmp files). CLient had 4 Series of license plates. Each series contained 25 design files. Each file had 52 customizations in it (using layers for each customization). 4 series x 25 files, x 52 customizations = 5,300 files. Those 5,300 combinations then had to be exported, split into C, M, Y & K files, each having to be line screened/halftoned (resulting in a total 20,800 files total). They were looking to hire temps to do the mind numbing export and splitting/linescreening of each combination, figuring 2-3 workers for 6 months.
It took a week to script, but managed to make it work. Once complete, a click, and all files were exported and halftoned in under 10 hours. Sure beats 6 months salary for 2-3 employees.
Later when they took their business to the web, creating the web images (both thumbnails and larger product images) was a breeze using the same scripting methods.

Illustrator and photoshop didn't have scripting available then... But yes, it could have been done with those programs. I saved them alot of money, damn near made his business possible/profitable, and made some nice cash in the process.

Later I began using transparency effects to shade my renderings, resulting in more efficient re-use of my templates. Illustrator wouldn't come out with transparency until later, and even then, using gradients in the transparencies was a multiple step process (like many other methods in it's archaic GUI) compared to a click and drag in corel.

For our work, we can work in actual size, or at worst, apply a scale to our art. Try to explain to an illy user how to scale 1/3 size at 100ppi for a 53' hauler... If you're lucky, one actually has a brain and can scale it to 10% for 'easy math' in the head.

I always liked illustrators flexibility in managing colors... Until I tried to print a pantone color chart (created in corel in about 2 minutes using a script) directly out of illustrator cs2, only to find theres a limit to like 17 spot colors in one file... So I guess just change the layout to use less color, because the software should be the limitation on the design process... not.

And that's why I use corel. Because I rarely find myself in a situation where corel isn't cutting it for my design needs. Whereas with illy, I find I have to jump through hoops for it to accomodate my needs.

But if all one is doing, is hitting FILE, OPEN, followed by FILE, PRINT, then it really doesn't matter whether corel is more efficient or not.

Sounds like a win to me. I didn't realize there was no built in batch processing back then and I'm glad I never had to deal with a task like that without it.

weaselboogie

I would think a design school like the Art Institute would expose their students to more design software than just that made by Adobe.

Nope, they don't. I'm a graduate from Art Inst. and the only programs we used were Quark ( pre Indesign ), Illustrator and Photoshop. Now I only use Corel, photoshop and a bit of indesign, primarily Corel.

C

ColoPrinthead

WTF is a Mac. Is that like a Vic 20 or something that you people use now? Can't believe anyone still uses a machine named after a fruit. Is it kinda like the breakfast cereal?
Its computer with Motorolla made processors, or IBM if you're spoiled.

C

ColoPrinthead

Nope, they don't. I'm a graduate from Art Inst. and the only programs we used were Quark ( pre Indesign ), Illustrator and Photoshop. Now I only use Corel, photoshop and a bit of indesign, primarily Corel.
How did you become aware of Corel? Was it ever mentioned in school?

weaselboogie

How did you become aware of Corel? Was it ever mentioned in school?

No mention of it in school at all. I worked for a while in the screen printing industry and it had about the same ratio of use as in the sign industry. I've used Corel since version 4 and illustrator since version 6, I think, and corel just seems more streamlined for what I was doing. Let steps to get the the end result. However, corel photopaint doesnt hold a candle to photoshop.

WildWestDesigns

corel just seems more streamlined for what I was doing.

Corel to me seems like it's more streamlined as well for screenprinting (especially onto garments) and other apparel decorating methods. Plus there are plugins that help streamline that process even further and make it even less clicks to do things then before.