• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you people actually like Corel?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
CorelDraw is like a really well done grilled cheese sandwich. You won't find it on most 5 star restaurant menus but it sure does hit the spot during the daily grind.

wayne k
guam usa

Joe Diaz

Ah that's okay Coloprinthead, I'm not sure we really want or need you on our team. Lol

J/k in all seriousness you should give it a second try. You might like what you see this time around. The Free trial is available for d/l. If I can somehow make it work, someone of your caliber should be able to really make it scream.

Besides you should really appreciate the fact that it hasn't "finally died".
If it weren't for Corel you may not be enjoying many of the innovations it has brought to the table over the years.

OldPaint

to answer your question about what i learned in ART SCHOOL, by the way it was PENN STATE 75-78..........so a computer was not something that we had. we still typed term papers on TYPEWRITERS!!!! my computer graphic knowledge is all self taught. i also build my own computers, so not only do i use the most versatile programs but i can build a computer to accommodate programs)))))) so much for "schoolin"!!!!
when i lived in sarasota, fl 82-98(and i was in this business then) the most well know art school around is in sarasota. RINGLING SCHOOL OF ART & DESIGN. and guess what everybody who came out there was using........ MACS!!!! mac gave them to the school and the softwear to program their students...so they BOUGHT MACS AND ADOBE!!!!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
to answer your question about what i learned in ART SCHOOL, by the way it was PENN STATE 75-78..........so a computer was not something that we had. we still typed term papers on TYPEWRITERS!!!! my computer graphic knowledge is all self taught. i also build my own computers, so not only do i use the most versatile programs but i can build a computer to accommodate programs)))))) so much for "schoolin"!!!!
when i lived in sarasota, fl 82-98(and i was in this business then) the most well know art school around is in sarasota. RINGLING SCHOOL OF ART & DESIGN. and guess what everybody who came out there was using........ MACS!!!! mac gave them to the school and the softwear to program their students...so they BOUGHT MACS AND ADOBE!!!!

Well from the late 80's to early 90's there was next to nothing for MS software that was design related. All design work that was done on a computer was done on a Mac. When I graduated from OSU we were the first class to use Macs for design. These were the "powerhouse" computers we were using

http://lowendmac.com/compact/macintosh-512ke.html
http://lowendmac.com/ii/macintosh-iici.html

and Photoshop 1

http://creativebits.org/the_first_version_of_photoshop

and Illustrator 88
http://rufus.deuchler.net/2009/04/meet-adobe-illustrator-88-1987---history-lessons.html

In this video it shows a tutorial of tracing a scan back in 87

Last edited:

RobbyMac

In 93' at the shop I worked for at the time, all of our sign equipment was pc based (as was the equipment at any of the 3 shps I had worked for until then). The DesignArt system had just incorporated import of EPS files, and Gerber's Graphix Advantage shortly followed suit. So I coaxed my boss into getting a 'design pc' to transfer files back and forth from design to production.

At the time, they were pen plotting and coloring in the plots by hand.
Corel 3.0 was the only real pc based design solution, and was less trouble than using mac n dos to convert mac files over to our pc and back.

anotherdog

in the end it doesn't matter whether Corel is better than Illustrator. Thank god it's still around or Adobe would really slack off.

I agree with Joe, the secret is is the head hand and eye, whether you are using a brush or a computer. Like some of the more crusty people here I have seen computers from the begining of common use and have grow to expect innovation and new features each cycle. I have seen tasks that would take days reduced to a few clicks.

I have nostalgia for the old techniques, but I have no doubts that the tools are far better now than in the past.

If this thread has done anything it has got me to design a few jobs in Corel rather than defaulting to Adobe. Took slightly longer, but still like how it works.

Jillbeans

The classes I took at AIP are now obsolete, we learned everything by hand.
The computer program I first learned to make signs on was Graphix Advantage 6.2, man that was such a pain.
I started Corel in 2005 and I really hated it at first until I saw what it can do.
I'm now on X5, which is slightly quirky but still very effective for me.
Particularly because I can cut with my plotter from Corel.
I've never seen the need to get anything else.
Love....jill

Techman

I work with a couple of Art Institute graduates who tell me they've never even seen Corel software.

Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,,

And I know individuals so isolated around this area who have never used let alone saw a travelers check..

Maybe a few of those Art Institute Graduates need to get out into the real world a little..

artbot

i started with corel 4 on a p120. back in 90-something? wish i had started earlier and gotten into printers earlier too. i remember looking at the "new fangled" encads and thinking... "looks too complicated". i was using a huge stock of large stencils to mass produce my art line back then.

SignManiac

I started with ver. 1 in order to design and print color proofs on HP's first desktop printer. It was called the PaintJet I believe and printed at 180 dpi and cost me $1,200.00
Gone were the days of hand drawn proofs and I had such a huge edge over my competition. My clients ate it up big time and it really made selling easy once they could see it full color. Also helped me with my design skill because changes could be easily made.

I'm pretty sure it was Mark Klein out of Miami who first showed me that he was doing them this way at a letterheads meet in Pensacola with my friend Mike Sheehan. Somewhere around the late 80's, early 90's.

royster13

So when a sign company is able to get more money for what they do than a competitor, they are praised.....But when a software company does it, they are vilified.....

OldPaint

da boy still aint come back to TELL all us corel users what "respectable software" HE BELIVES TO BE BETTER THEN COREL)))))))))))))))))

artbot

if a sign company is getting top dollar for a busy over over designed graphic or sign, the amount of money is irrelevant. it's still a crap sign.

software is designed by "engineers". from the ones i know, they snicker at the idea of complex solutions. the best engineer is the one that can accomplish a task with the least code and or the simplest pcb or the least parts. that is the one who deserves the highest salary.

the free market wants the most bang for the buck. so getting the most money for software can, but not always, be attributed to brand loyalty and entrenched legacy usage.

i used to be in the ministry. the king james bible was "the" translation. why? i can not tell thee. to me illustrator is like the king james bible. if you grew up with it, it's second nature. but if you used corel first. then illy the user is saying "you want to what? ... just to do that?"

Locals Find!

if a sign company is getting top dollar for a busy over over designed graphic sign the amount of money is irrelevant. it's still a crap sign.

software is designed by "engineers". from the ones i know, they snicker at the idea of complex solutions. the best engineer is the one that can accomplish the task with the least code and or the simplest pcb or the least parts. that is the one who deserves the most money.

the free market wants the most bang for the buck. so getting the most money for software can, but not always, be attributed to brand loyalty and entrenched legacy usage.

i used to be in the ministry. the king james bible was "the" translation. why? i can not tell thee.

Because, the King James Bible was translated directly from the Hebrew and to this day is deemed one of the most accurate translations from the Hebrew into the English Language.

Sorry for the :threadJust found that one interesting enough to answer. Not many times on here I can use some of the arcane knowledge rattling around in my skull.

artbot

i'm all for the masoretic and respectus, over others. i was making a comment about clinging to the thees and thous. next to an interlinear it's great.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Because, the King James Bible was translated directly from the Hebrew and to this day is deemed one of the most accurate translations from the Hebrew into the English Language.

Sorry for the :threadJust found that one interesting enough to answer. Not many times on here I can use some of the arcane knowledge rattling around in my skull.

Hey, if the KJV was good enough for Paul, its good enough for me.......

:omg: