• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dongle Duplication/Cloning ?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hypothetical :

I buy a $40,000 Mercedes and it comes with 1 key that has a computer chip.

I can go make as many keys as I want for that Mercedes, even though they are computer chipped for my car only,

and I may have to pay $150 per key, but I sure as hell don't have to pay $4000 or get stuck not being allowed to have extra keys

for the car that I paid so much money for . . . Isn't it the same damn thing !

Not at all because you do not have the ability to duplicate the Mercedes itself as you do with your software. As a seller of software, it's surprising that you don't understand the difference.

signage

I can not believe that you would consider it to be legal! If you would clone the dongle you could then create as many as you wanted then copy the CD's and resell them! Isn't that then pirated software? Just think about it!

Most of the EULA state only installed on one computer!

Si Allen

I am soooooooooooooo glad that I am 99% brush work!

On the rare occasion that I need some vinyl cut , or a print.....I use Corel and/or PhotoShop....which DO NOT REQUIRE a dongle!

:thumb:

bjones

Lol.. I was waiting for someone to point out the obvious.. 1 license, 1 computer.. If you want to 'legally' use the software on multiple computers then you need a secondary license.

S'N'S

I see both sides of the story, but back to your question.....you can use a Dongle emulator.

Dongle emulator

Prevent loss of use by having on hand a software replacement for your hardware key. This software gives you 100% replacement of your dongle. Software replacement of your hardware key or dongle emulation allows you to keep your dongle in a safe place, and run your application without it.

Additional benefits that come with using the dongle emulator instead of hardware key:

* No more worries about your dongle being stolen.
* Applications run much faster.
* Your application starts every time you run it.
* No need to take the dongle from the office when you want to work at home.
* You can install the software on any number of computers.
* Your dongle won't interfere with access to the printer/plotter.

http://www.dongleservice.com/dongle-emulator.phtml

trakers

Seems like a reasonable service, however I certainly wouldn't want the "secret code" from the key sent off to someone else.

If it were a self-contained deal you could perform at your own desk it might not be bad.

activitydude

I see both sides of the story, but back to your question.....you can use a Dongle emulator.

Dongle emulator

Prevent loss of use by having on hand a software replacement for your hardware key. This software gives you 100% replacement of your dongle. Software replacement of your hardware key or dongle emulation allows you to keep your dongle in a safe place, and run your application without it.

Additional benefits that come with using the dongle emulator instead of hardware key:

* No more worries about your dongle being stolen.
* Applications run much faster.
* Your application starts every time you run it.
* No need to take the dongle from the office when you want to work at home.
* You can install the software on any number of computers.
* Your dongle won't interfere with access to the printer/plotter.

http://www.dongleservice.com/dongle-emulator.phtml

And this is exactly why we don't use keys. What you are offering is nothing more than theft of intellectual property.

We still have users that are on our older dongled system. What you are offering them is a way to use the software ILLEGALLY. They can make as many copies of our software (which we encourage for their use). What you want them to be able to do is not only use our software but have the ability to give it away or sell it to someone else and we lose money. That causes loss to our customers because we run short on development funds and so it takes longer for use to upgrade.

Those people that think every software company is out to screw them is wrong. We aren't Microsoft we too have to work for our living. When you think you are getting one over on the big bad software developer you are just making it harder for us to hire people to make sure the software is good and to help our customers.

Replicator! I can't belive you are looking to put anyone out of business but you, the seller of security software, are going down the wrong road with duplicating keys.

S'N'S

I haven't offered him anything, he asked a question and I posted an answer. If he chooses to go down that path, it is entirely up to him, he's a big boy and can make that decision for himself. ....I personally wouldn't be sending my Dongle anywhere.

activitydude

I haven't offered him anything, he asked a question and I posted an answer. If he chooses to go down that path, it is entirely up to him, he's a big boy and can make that decision for himself. ....I personally wouldn't be sending my Dongle anywhere.

The point is you just made available a way to potentially cause honest, hardworking software developers to lose money. Would you want someone giving your DESIGN work away for free?

sarge

i work .. and it is work .. for microsoft on occation in software development .. we do work .. and we do take pirates of our software serious .. replic .. how would you like someone to buy your software and develope a key generator and sell it .. offer it for sale on this forum .. you would want that guy banned .. as he should .. or if someone was to ask and someone gave them the to code to make their own generator .. you would not like that .. if they did that you would want their dongles in a vise

activitydude

i work .. and it is work .. for microsoft on occation in software development .. we do work .. and we do take pirates of our software serious .. replic .. how would you like someone to buy your software and develope a key generator and sell it .. offer it for sale on this forum .. you would want that guy banned .. as he should .. or if someone was to ask and someone gave them the to code to make their own generator .. you would not like that .. if they did that you would want their dongles in a vise

Sarge, thank you and I sincerely hope I did not offend you or Microsoft in any way. I was only trying to show the guy that EVERY software developer works for a living, we don't just sit at computers and magically create programs.

sarge

i know what your saying .. no blood no foul .. sometimes developement is fun .. sometimes it tough

Techman

The point is you just made available a way to potentially cause honest, hardworking software developers to lose money. Would you want someone giving your DESIGN work away for free?

He did not make it available. This service is offered freely on the net. There are more than this one company doing it. He used his right of freedom of speech to talk about this dongle problem... This subject has been discussed many times over the years.. In fact the security locks became such a problem that the copy right office issued a pass temporary directive for those who were left abandoned or without recourse.