• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dongle Duplication/Cloning ?

iSign

If you ignore the idiotic reply's, you've generated quite a bit of rational discussion.
If you couldn't ignore idiotic reply's, you wouldn't be on this forum anyway.

D

Digitall

So you're gonna do what Techman's hinting at and move to mongolia, ya?
Juuuuust kidding. (that's actually just meant to rib techman a little - doesn't matter that there might be some backwards country where it's legal. We don't live there and neither does the russian dude)

I think any company that can get the old broken dongle should charge maybe 120 tops to replace it. Putting the information onto the dongle is nothing, maybe $20 of someone's time... The dongle itself can't be more than $40 or $50. Throw in a few bucks for shipping. The fact that some companies charge $300 annoys me a little, but I'd still go with their policy. In a way we're kind of spoiled by how easy it is to copy software. We're lucky there's any kind of option... You don't get a backup copy of a $5000 wedding ring.

We change dongles in our "skill games" (Ohioans will know what i am talking about especially) constantly. they cost little of nothing to replace and download. what a rip!!

GARY CULY

wow this thread is getting a lot of air time......id like to REALLY know how many on here have ligit software ..like everybody take pics of your keys and post them.....i bet the illeagles are more than we all think !
course the'll be some say "why i dont have to prove nuthing to you people" and more excuses ..but i bet there is more than just me that BUY software would like to know also...i think im the the only fool that has bought adobe programs for 100 miles any direction .
....it would just show the truth......there is every software made for free on the internet someplace,,period.
somebody start a thread on that.. im not gonna ..i cant talk educated like most of you.

gee id just like to know whos lying

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't know,
all of us whipping out our dongles and posting pics of them on line just sounds bad - might even be illegal here in the islands.

wayne k
guam usa

(doing my part to help meet the idiotic reply quota)

Last edited:

kgirl

I don't know,
all of us whipping out our dongles and posting picks of them on line just sounds bad - might even be illegal here in the islands.

wayne k
guam usa

(doing my part to help meet the idiotic reply quota)

Four pages have gone by now and I'm still waiting for a pic.......

:popcorn:

SignsOfMaine

lol GAC =)

Rep: don't take it personally, I don't think anyone was really yelling at you. It turned into a discussion about piracy and program cracking. That's just the direction the conversation took, and it would have taken that direction if I or you or anyone else asked about dongle duplication. So you shouldn't make it out like everyone's out to get you because I don't see hardly anyone pointing a finger at you. It's just a controversial topic and people will discuss it for 3 or 4 pages because it's interesting.

What I always wondered is if dongles are truly unbreakable or not, and now I can see they're not... you don't have to break into the dongle's contents to make the program happy, you can either trick the program into thinking it's there when it's not, or you can just crack the program like any other (and I've seen some cracked flexi's floating around). So really the dongle IS probably an unnecessary hassle. It takes more work to crack than most but it's no safer than stupid stuff like windows activation or securom or any of those anti-piracy things that people hate.

SignBurst PCs

Couldn't someone control the work computer remotly from home?

Absolutely... with Remote Desktop (which is free with XP and Vista) and other "paid" solutions, you can work at your shop computer from any computer, including your home computer.

It is fairly easy to setup and works well as long as you have a good Internet connection on both computers. If you don't have Internet on your work computer, then this is not going to work for you.

N2Harpz

Hypothetical :

I buy a $40,000 Mercedes and it comes with 1 key that has a computer chip.

I can go make as many keys as I want for that Mercedes, even though they are computer chipped for my car only,

and I may have to pay $150 per key, but I sure as hell don't have to pay $4000 or get stuck not being allowed to have extra keys

for the car that I paid so much money for . . . Isn't it the same damn thing !

LOL ... I guess the Mercedes company would say to you. ONE key per car. If your spouse wants to use it she must buy her own Mercedes for another $40,000 or buy a key from them for a small fee of $20,000

Replicator

Attachments

• my_dongle.jpg
    my_dongle.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 112

N2Harpz

PS

I wish I could believe that it is all about the safety of the software and to stop the pirates. But PLEASE.... if the dongles were only $10 the pirates wouldn't waste their time.

The software companies are the ones driving the Mercedes here, not the sign guys.

bbeens

Casey-

As a heads up, Softrip will not work while running under remote desktop. The dongle will not be recognized.

Bryan

activitydude

PS

I wish I could believe that it is all about the safety of the software and to stop the pirates. But PLEASE.... if the dongles were only $10 the pirates wouldn't waste their time.

The software companies are the ones driving the Mercedes here, note the sign guys.

The hardware dongles are not really the point. The software is. If we want to even half-way protect the 100s of thousands of dollars put into the development of software for you use we have to have protect your investment somehow. The more software stolen the higher the prices will be to recoup our investment and, on the side, make a living. I drive a Hyundai Accent, not a Mercedes. And I'll bet any other developer out here could say the same.