• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

double sided window graphics... HELP!

paperstrategies

Boss has been coming down on me trying to get our customer to be satisfied with a material to cover their windows. Already gave them 4-5 samples none of which they liked. Glass adhere, static, low tac clear adhesive, etc. So I guess the only thing to try are some out-of-the-box ideas. I did attempt to adhere a low tac clear to a vinyl and for as large as the images will be this is definitely not in the cards. Any ideas or insight?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Boss has been coming down on me trying to get our customer to be satisfied with a material to cover their windows. Already gave them 4-5 samples none of which they liked. Glass adhere, static, low tac clear adhesive, etc. So I guess the only thing to try are some out-of-the-box ideas. I did attempt to adhere a low tac clear to a vinyl and for as large as the images will be this is definitely not in the cards. Any ideas or insight?

If the above were written by a sentient being one can only wonder at just what it would say.

T_K

It sounds like you've gone through the normal list. I'd politely tell the customer those are the options we offer. If they can find a sample of material they like, then we can look at it and see what we can do. Otherwise, they can pick one of the options. Our company doesn't engineer the films we use. We can't customize the base materials.

In my experience, customers who aren't happy with any of your industry standard options just won't be happy. A lot of the time they're wanting a bargain basement price for a super premium, highly specialized material that you can't find a vendor for.

Not that this would make your boss happy, but you can't make up the customer's mind for them if they don't want to make a choice.

paperstrategies

Well T K under normal circumstances I'd agree with you. This job has a lot of money making potential and the customer is a fortune 500. There's alot of pressure on me to produce something that satisfies them. The industry standards are just not what they're looking for I guess.

T_K

That would explain why you're boss is coming after you to close the deal. Good luck, sounds like you need it.

petepaz

what is the end result they are looking for?
what don't they like about what you supplied already?
what does the art look like and how are you printing?

paperstrategies

what does the art look like and how are you printing?

(1) Window graphics to cover windows of their stores
(2) Has to be visible from both sides (one sample was too translucent) & user-friendly, so their employees would be able to install
(3) Full coverage, preferably solvent press

(2) Has to be visible from both sides (one sample was too translucent) & user-friendly, so their employees would be able to install

They want something an employee can install full coverage on a front window? Like 4'x8' glass sheets?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Why visible from both sides? If that's what they want, then produce one set installed inside and one installed outside.

MikePro

A) print a transluscent graphic and apply to exterior.... and voila!! you'll be able to see it from the inside as well.

B) don't want a mirror'd version of the image on the inside? well, just double-down and apply opaque graphics to both-sides of glass and charge twice as much.

C) want to see outside through the printed image? then go with perforated vinyl or, better yet, if you can print white on clear then print a perforated image on clear vinyl.

D) employees to install? pfft. graphitex/walltex/phototex/jarhead/whatever and that's about all the options they get.

davearama

Try Wholesalers

Big wholesale printers like Indy Imaging/Georgia Printco/Signs 365 an the like have a material that might fit your needs. They have equipment and material that prints show on both sides and can (I think) easily be installed. If you've got a contact at a wholesale printer give them a call. Otherwise these guys can probably do something for you. Good Luck dm

petepaz

good luck when ever the customer wants to install a large graphic by them selves..haha
why not print a mirrored image on air -release clear then print the 2nd image on white vinyl with clear adhesive and mount together.
mac-tac make a clear air release then use a standard 3.5 or 4mil vinyl

petepaz

or ...
print 2 sided on a 10mil pvc and use a removable mounting adhesive or those adhesive dots (forget what they are called)

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Well T K under normal circumstances I'd agree with you. This job has a lot of money making potential and the customer is a fortune 500. There's alot of pressure on me to produce something that satisfies them. The industry standards are just not what they're looking for I guess.
Having done a lot of work for a certain institution that continually tested the boundaries of what could and could not actually be done, I am familiar with the type of customer you're dealing with. In a number of those cases, I'd discover that the person asking for this kind of thing was often doing so with zero authority (it's not just Fortune 500 companies that have design/decorating standards) and- when the people who actually made the design decisions saw what was proposed, they'd say something along the lines of "what bozo asked for that?"
What sucks is, if you're not the guy in charge, you're stuck trying to deal with said bozos without pissing them off (and losing future, possible business) while not losing your *** (or pissing your boss off) because you're doing sample after sample of something they aren't going to like anyway.
All you can do is try to guide them to the best possible available solution, letting them know that the material that's actually available is going to be all anyone can offer them and convince them of that- unless they're willing to fund a solution specifically tailored to their wants (which I seriously doubt, regardless of their supposed monetary power).

Andy D

Why visible from both sides? If that's what they want, then produce one set installed inside and one installed outside.

What Eahicks said... But you have to clarify a few things, as petepaz asked
what does the art look like and how are you printing?​

I would also like to know:
Do they want to be able to see out or in through the graphics?
Does it need to be outside and inside of the window, so that both sides are bright and vivid?
Is it permanent or does it need to be removable?

There are way too many unknowns for anyone to help.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Now, having not hit "Post" until an hour and a half after typing out a response, I completely missed what they're after.
My suggestion instead would be two sets of prints on whatever your standard, printed window graphics are done on. One set for the inside, one for the outside. And making very clear to them that you are not responsible for the inevitable screw ups that will follow when their employees attempt the install.

T_K

This one always cracks me up! But it always increases our sales...from them needing reprints.

Be sure to mention there's a video on youtube they can watch to make install super easy. :popcorn:

paperstrategies

SO there's alot going on here. Trying to clear a few things up. The graphic has to be visible from the inside of the stores. I've tried translucent and they rejected 2 different materials. I have personally ruled out doing a large quantity of pvc mounted to low-tac's because they're difficult to do in large sizes. They have also asked to have something removable, which seriously reduces the availability. I really thought they would go for the glass adhere products, because even I was impressed with them. Believe me guys, I understand the whole, customer wants employees to install and the nightmares that's sure to bring. That's why I am here! haha. Perhaps I should change the thread to "How do I get my boss to point a fortune 500 in the right direction?"

oksigns

SO there's alot going on here. Trying to clear a few things up. The graphic has to be visible from the inside of the stores. I've tried translucent and they rejected 2 different materials. I have personally ruled out doing a large quantity of pvc mounted to low-tac's because they're difficult to do in large sizes. They have also asked to have something removable, which seriously reduces the availability. I really thought they would go for the glass adhere products, because even I was impressed with them. Believe me guys, I understand the whole, customer wants employees to install and the nightmares that's sure to bring. That's why I am here! haha. Perhaps I should change the thread to "How do I get my boss to point a fortune 500 in the right direction?"

Well you need to speak to them with some degree of authority then. There is an obvious skill level required to install these things competently as we all know, and you just have to give them the best solution and offer reasonable support. I know what it's like when there is a big fish on the line, and standing your ground can be a gamble, but you have to represent your end as best as possible. It's your product and business at the end of the day.

It's a game of rock-paper-scissor dealing with durability and conformability. If this prospective customer is new to this space, you will earn major points for being a mentor, but if they have had previous work done for them, ask them to bring you an example of what was done in the past that they liked so much, but I would recommend to not compromise your work for a customer that may not have the reasons why.