• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extreme Makeover - The Entries

Extreme makeover Contest - Vote for your favorite

• #1 Replicator

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • #2 Ground Chuck

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • #3 Ground Chuck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #4 Signage

• #5 Ken

• #6 Bladegraphics

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • #7 Isign

• #8 Jillbeans

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • #9 Flame Master

• #10 Jillbeans

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • #11 Stevo Design

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • #12 Vid

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • #13 Replicator

• #14 Signosaurus Rex

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • #15 Holeshotrob

• #16 Flame Master

• #17 Torgy97

• #18 Stevo Design

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • #19 Jillbeans

• #20 Tikiboyz

• #21 Wannabe

• #22 Holeshotrob

• #23 Deaton Design

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • #24 Bluttr

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • #25 Geb

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • #26 Flame Master

• #27 Isign

• #28 GAC05

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • #29 Pat Whatley

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • #30 Bluttr

• #31 Geb

• #32 Checkers

• #33 Njsigns

Votes: 14 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Holeshotrob

I bet vote for me some are actually vote for me waiting til the last minute vote for me also, to just vote for me draw this thing out. There has to be vote for me some type of subliminal vote for me messaging there vote for me somewhere! Don't you vote for me agree? :wink:

vid

(edit)...It was probably a bad idea to even tie a budget to the contest...

I don’t think that was such a bad idea. It’s like those TV shows “What It’s Worth” for real estate in different parts of the country. I gotta admit though, I ain’t movin’ to the birthplace of #6 to sell signs if that’s what it takes to move something out the door for $1000. Iffin’ I’m buying, hellyeah!

For me, this is a price range that’s typical for the kind of stuff I see. Customers coming in looking for a sign solution like this expecting to pay $500. It’s a bit of a push to get them to a more realistic range of $1000 - $1500.

In the contest, I expected to see simple re-facing, decorative posts and custom shapes proposed. I was mostly interested in see what types of materials would be chosen and why. For the most part, I could figure that out and think of things I’d use if it wasn’t explained.

There were a few that I thought added something to the architecture of the signs beyond the typical of what I expected. Most obvious of that is #6 with the Art Deco stuff. Others that made me think of simple embellishments that could be used to doll the structure up are #9, 10, 23 and 29.

#9 has a rather simple crossbar below the sign panel for a hanging sign. To me, it adds an simple element to the sign making it appear bigger and gives it some air. From that, if it were a square tube turned 45 degrees, it’d add another subtle dimension to an otherwise inexpensive sign. ...add one at the top, and it’d be an un-ordinary structure at this price range very inexpensively.

#10 has a similar feel to me adding small panels below the sign panel giving it a touch more volume and texture.

#23 sets the posts closer together making one look at the sign more than the structure around it.

#29 goes all the way to the ground and creates mass by adding the aluminum to the sides.

It’s things like that which can add value and a few more bucks in the pocket fairly inexpensively to get out of the ordinary. I tend to get into production mode in this range and don’t necessarily think of the subtleties.

For that, I think tying a budget to the contest is very important... It makes one have to think a little harder to be creative at budget.

Marlene

The only problem that I had with the budget was coming up with a design for free because that is what you would have to do to come up with a beauty like #6. You should have at least $500 in the design alone so it all goes back to under selling our talents when it comes to design work. That leaves $495.00 for material, travel, install and disposing of the old stuff. I don't know about any one else, but there also would be a survey of the site included as you would need to make sure the size is correct (never trust a customer's measurements) and to look at the poles and existing sign to see if it could be refaced or if you would need to start out new.

I'm sure that there are creative ways to come in at the budget but like I said in another post, the sign wouldn't win any contest as it would be simple, start copy with just a little do dad or border to dress it up so that there's no design charge chewing up the budget.

Checkers

Ironic...

Ya know, I just had an experience where I lost a bid to a much larger and higher priced product.
I asked my usual questions and the client gave me a size, basic specifications and even a logo to work with. So, I worked within the guidelines of the supplied information.
When I followed up with the client yesterday, I was told about the winning bid. Boy, was I upset with myself for not following my proceedure of offering 3 price ranges - good, better and best.
I guess it serves me right for not following my own policy of giving clients a choice. The sting of this one will not go away for a while :(

Checkers

THATgirl

I think people just get busy and don't take the time to vote or enter a design. I knew immediately which ones I liked best. They were all nice...but two of them I felt were perfect for the requirements.

skyhigh

The only problem that I had with the budget was coming up with a design for free because that is what you would have to do to come up with a beauty.

That, along with ones that did a total replacment (poles and all).
Then you are required to pull permits to both the local municipality along with a state permit for an "off location" sign.

Even without the permit BS, if your talking design, auger holes, cement, and removal of the old, its ALWAYS gonna be over a grand.

PS. good post Vid....and holeshotRob, too funny.

vid

Ya know, I just had an experience where I lost a bid to a much larger and higher priced product... (snip)...
I guess it serves me right for not following my own policy of giving clients a choice. The sting of this one will not go away for a while :(

But, what price range do you start doing that? At even a shop rate of $50/hour on a task in this price range is tough.

Based on the original sign and input, I assumed the customer wasn't all that market savvy and approached it from that angle. I tried not to over commit too many of my own resources. (However, in hindsight, I figure I blew out of budget by a couple hundred being overzealous.)

Still, I tried to leave enough out of the layout to create a dialogue for billable changes and improvements to the piece. I never try to give the customer what they want the first time. That way I can create a dialogue that helps to qualify the customer and gain direction for a sign that will "work" for them. I tend to work to specs and "suggest" or quickly sketch (billable) improvements rather than spend the time laying it out. That way the customer will expect to pay more and I haven't committed more time than is necessary to project. I have to be in front of the customer to pull that off though. Good or bad, that dialogue didn't exist in this contest.

As the contest goes, I thinks it's an interesting view on how others approach tasks of this nature. The arguments in this thread have dealt with both design and pricing. Those are always hot topics in this forum. Even more, it's touched on some aspects of installation. Makes me more competitive in the real world.

That, along with ones that did a total replacment (poles and all).
Then you are required to pull permits to both the local municipality along with a state permit for an "off location" sign. ...

It's county and Jim's cousin is the Supervisor..........

Geary

Well, we already have a clear winner. I wouldn't fret too much over any of the stories and possible conditions or issues surrounding it. :wink:

Pat Whatley

Well, we already have a clear winner. I wouldn't fret too much over any of the stories and possible conditions or issues surrounding it. :wink:

No we don't. If all the non-voting lurkers out there band together and vote for me I can win in one of the greatest comebacks of all time! It ain't over till it's over.

Checkers

I never really had to put that much thought into it Vid. Normally, I could get a good read on the client just by speaking with him. Then I make the decision during my sales pitch.

In this case, however, the client found me through my web site and I was contacted via email.

The reason why I'm upset with myself is because I did research the company and knew that I wasn't dealing with a "poor" mom and pop company. Also, even using their specs, the job worth, at least, several thousand dollars.

Oh well, I guess I have trust my instincts more and figure out a better way to qualify and handle internet "sales calls".

Checkers

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Heh-heh..... I voted, and it wasn't for mine....... oh yeah, someone forgot to include it....... :thankyou:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Heh-heh..... I voted, and it wasn't for mine....... oh yeah, someone forgot to include it....... :thankyou:

And someone forgot to follow the submission instructions.
dachshund.gif

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I do believe we're talking about the same dumb S**T.........

Well, now ya hurt my feelings, but you can't get me mad, no way, no how..... ?$@^&%$( _ %$@^&*+@ - >*%$#!)}#@..........

:beer :beer :beer :beer :beer