• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Falcon Outdoor Jr 38"...HELP!

ilmt

just ordered a new head board for 189 and a new ribbon for 22

they should be here later this week.

just curious...has anyone downloaded the parts list pdf file i posted?

i would like to know if anyone will get use out of it.

ilmt

Following your progress. My Mutoh 38 is dead too, just over a year, and it seems to have similar problems. I don't really need it right now for anything importanrt but I do want it working after I paid all this money or it.

Thanks for the parts schematic by the way!

Good luck to you.

John, chances are, nothing in your unit is damaged, but i would say that your ink heads are clogged for sure.

i have never had to take my machine apart up until i started this thread a few weeks ago, but it is NOT hard at all. just take your time and don't force stuff to come off.

once i had the ink heads apart, i used some solvent which caused the ink to loosen up. then i took a can of compressed air and stuck the nozzle where the dampers originally were and i instantly saw color spray out from the bottom of the ink heads...you don't realize how small the ink head openings are until you see ink spray out...it was pretty cool, it felt like i was using an air brush.

also, the one thing that messed me up were the ribbons. it seems that when i was plugging the ribbon back into the board, i must have pushed to hard or to quick and i caused one of the metal pins to bend and make contact with another pin, i think that shorted something out on the head board.

ilmt

ok guys...here is an update.

i hope someone is still paying attention.

i just tried to do an ink fill and the black fill with no problem. however, when i try to do a color fill, the machine beeps and the red error light comes on.

do you think whatever is causing me to get the undefined paper is causing the machine to freeze when i try to run a color fill?

i am thinking the board might have gotten fried somehow...anyone?

MacDaddy

ok guys...here is an update.

i hope someone is still paying attention.

i just tried to do an ink fill and the black fill with no problem. however, when i try to do a color fill, the machine beeps and the red error light comes on.

do you think whatever is causing me to get the undefined paper is causing the machine to freeze when i try to run a color fill?

i am thinking the board might have gotten fried somehow...anyone?

Wrong Post, I am sorry.............

ilmt

update

the head baor and cable that was ordered came in on Friday.

i just put it in today turned the machine on, and i get the same error. paper undefined.

i don't know what other boards/sensors to start swapping out.

thanks for all of the help up til this point, guys.

Yardbirdrc

Make sure sunlight is not hitting the machine. It causes the same error on mine and throws the paper out the back. It took a long time for me to figure out that one after I swapped the sensors front to back and ordered a new sensor that I didn't need.

I have the same printer. I didn't know squat about printing when I bought it 2 years ago. I probably still dont know squat.

Rick

Last edited:

graceman

update

the head baor and cable that was ordered came in on Friday.

i just put it in today turned the machine on, and i get the same error. paper undefined.

i don't know what other boards/sensors to start swapping out.

thanks for all of the help up til this point, guys.

Your problem most likely lies in Paper edge sensor which is located on printhead carriage. You need to prove it in maintenance mode when manually moving the carriage. If it is faulty then replace it with new one. Get it from EPSON - Paper Edge Assy, it is the same as the one for EPSON 9500 series.

eldominico

Ok Guys I have the same undefined paper error, these are the steps I have done to pinpoint and fix problem:
the sensor to blame for this error is the one next to the black printhead, to check if the sensor is workink go in diag (power off, press cleaning , menu, and shift at the same time, don't let go and turn machine on)mode and check the sensor, it reads 00fe or something similar, I placed a small stripe of white paper under the sensor, if you move the paper out of the sensor the reading on the LCD will change, if you shine a flash light in to the paper where the sensor is the readings will change, this means the sensor is working, my sensor was working but I still had the undefined paper error, what was causing the error was that I had the top cover open and no print head cover installed plus I was next to a window with the sunlight hiting the machine, I moved the machine to a dark corner, re-atached the printhead cover closed the top cover, and problem was solved.
If you dont have a change in reading on the LCD screen then you have:
a dirty sensor, a faulty conection, or a bad sensor

eldominico

undefined paper error

Just an update , I got the undefined paper error again...........now it was due to the front bottom cover (the stainless steel part with the heater strips where the paper lays flat on) being loose from the bottom screws, I just raised the stainles steel cover a little bit and Bam! media confirmed.
looks like if the media is to low (or far away) from the sensor it gives the undefined paper error.
Finally I got to the point where the LCD reads "PLOT OK" I started refurbishing this JR 2 weeks ago, I have all the electronic boards and sensors workin 100% with 0 errors on the LCD, now I will move on to the ink and printheads and see if I can pull some ink and do a test print.